Big Morgan and the great train robbery of 2018!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This true treasure tale begins two weeks ago in a colonial era farm field with my friend Ryan. Some good colonial era coins had come out of the field, but we had never hunted it. I got a high tone indicating potential silver and quickly dug a hole to reveal a large round gray coin. Holy moly you've got to see this Ryan! I didn't touch and walked over to him with a giant grin. He wanted to film it so we talked about what it could be while he set up his camera. We were jumping with excitement. I ran my detector over it to check it again. It was high but not quite the number I'd expect. Ready? Camera rolling action... I picked it up and I instantly knew something was wrong. It was too light to be silver. It turned out to be a 1940 Union Pacific Aluminum train token. It was better than being a piece of trash but I was crushed for the day.

Two weeks later 7:00 am at my colonial spot that I have bludgeoned in an effort to find everything... let the hunt commence! You have to get up early to find the good stuff so here I was just myself and the deer. I probably saw 10 that morning as I worked my through the brambles and rotting trees searching for the goods. Glenn AKA "The Silver Bandit" was late but he still managed to find a buffalo. I had been hunting for an hr and hadn't found a thing. We worked our way over to an area of the woods that we rarely hit and he found an unidentified copper in an old cartpath. Hey congrats I knew there was still stuff here! Then a few minutes later he found another buffalo. Hmm where was my stuff!? I had started to lose hope as my detecting window was starting to close. I had been skunked a good deal lately. We headed back toward the hammered area and on the way I asked Glenn to give me the treasure power so I might find something too....he gave me a fist bump to help my spirits. With a little hope I swung away until I got a penny signal 81 that was a little mixed. It was right next to a downed tree so I hadn't gotten my coil over in past trips. In my patented "dig-it-all-and-let-the-treasure-gods-sort-it-out" mode this was worth a look. The first thing I saw was a big round silver like disk... could it be?!!! Was it my turn to bask in the glory? I hailed my treasure buddy over and he got his camera going. I gave it a final swing, again it wasn't quite as high as I thought and a little broken. Whatwazit!? Little worried but mostly excited and anticipating. I plucked it out of the hole and right off the bat I knew the weight was correct... beneath the caked dirt was a 1921 Morgan Dollar! My first ever! I was ecstatic. My detecting year was now made for quite awhile! Skunking be damned. Just be sure I wasn't missing another coin I ran the coil over it and got more signals. Out came a buffalo and a wheatie to boot. Now although the wheatie was just a wheatie it wasn't just a wheatie. It was a 47 which makes me think these coins could have been dropped around that time. It was a day to remember and It was so awesome to be able to share the find with my buddy! As a beginner I wouldn't even say I have a list of things I need to find. It's all fair game, but this one was one I really wanted. Thanks to the person who lost this treasure for the future finder! Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_6559.JPG
    IMG_6559.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_6557.JPG
    IMG_6557.JPG
    693.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_6556.JPG
    IMG_6556.JPG
    606.6 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 47
OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post better keep doing the lucky fist bump Ive only found 1 silver dollar and yep it was a 1921 Morgan Ill tell ya that's a day where if I found nothing else I didn't care Well done. Put that bad boy in a nice case. Thanks for the cool post. that RR token is really cool also. Tommy

I know that feeling! It's interesting to read the history of the coin. It's a fairly common one because they melted down all the old worn silvers and made these and then hoarded them for years. I guess they are pretty poor quality compared to the older morgans because it was a rush job. Still looks good to me! I don't quite understand the economics of it but they did it. I need to figure out how to clean it a little, but I don't want to scratch it or make it look mirror finish shiny. I'll post the railroad token soon. I didn't take a pic of it.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the HUGE silver!!! Nothing like feeling that weight coming out the ground. I hit a 8 reales and I’m still chasing that high. Again congratulations and great story.

Thank you. Still can't believe I found it.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s awesome! I’ve been looking for mine for over two years and managed 4 half dollars but no dollar yet. Congrats on a killer find!

You'll get there! You know the funny thing is I have not found a barber dime yet! I know they are out there somewhere waiting!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im gonna need a piece dollar soon also lol

Those seem to be pretty rare to find. In my club I've been in it 2 years and I don't recall seeing any brought in to our find of the month contest.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice silver. Congrats

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweeeeeeeeetttttt!!!!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the silver dollar! Still a coin that has eluded me. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions