Today's City Park finds; Locked Real Gun, Merc, and Vintage Pin

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't posted in a while. I've been going out quite often finding some decent old coins and such. These days I usually post if I find older silver or something out of the ordinary that I think fellow tnet'ers would find interesting. Today I went to a trashy city park with the sharpshooter coil on the ATP.

Screenshot_2019-02-10-21-57-41.png Screenshot_2019-02-10-15-29-48.png
My first cool find was this Elks 56th Annual Reunion Pin July 1920. Manufactured by Robbins Co.

Screenshot_2019-02-10-22-02-02.jpg
Next I found my first ever real gun! I'm not sure what kind it is and I didnt take it home. I left it on the surface. No danger since it's locked.

Screenshot_2019-02-10-22-07-15.png
Make sure leaf clutter is checked carefully as there could be silver mixed in. I didn't have to dig this Merc.

Thanks for reading and good luck to all on your hunts.

Upvote 34

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. 🙌 Re: the weapon...make sure it's still there, first, then have an Officer meet you and walk him to it. Have your detector with you...just in case.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll do that after work this week. What's the best way to turn it in? Have an officer meet me there or take it to the station myself?
I would just take it to the nearest station and tell them where and how you found it. You might get a "get outta jail free" card :laughing7:

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting that you found a silver basically on the surface in the woods. I found a couple Rosie’s a couple years ago on the surface in the woods, but they were in a run off/erosion area. The locked gun is an unusual find. Congrats !

I guess I might he swinging on land that hasn't been hunted yet. I also found a barber dime on the surface a couple years ago near an old foundation. They beep different on the surface, some people might assume it's trash.

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call an officer and have them meet you there. (You earn points with the local officers too) That way if they trace the serial number, they can regionally log as to exactly where it was found.
NICE!

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call an officer and have them meet you there. (You earn points with the local officers too) That way if they trace the serial number, they can regionally log as to exactly where it was found.
NICE!
^This^

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a snub nose 38 be careful calling it in could go sideways in a hurry

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Gun would have become one of the High Points of my Collection.

Gun looks Destroyed by Age....

However under no Circumstances should you have left it lay on the Surface.
at the very least you should have Buried it or Thrown it in a Creek or Lake,
If you didn't want the Brownie Points by Calling the Police.

Please consider Going Back.

Even a Kid playing with a Locked Gun is Not Good imo

If there is still Time, & It's Still there,

Best bet would be to have them meet you & take them to it, if it is still there, Location may be important. They may even ask you to Search the area More carefully & hire you on occasion .

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree on going back to the Park to make sure it is there and if so, call the Police or Sheriff's Office and have an Officer meet you there, then walk them to the Revolver. Make sure the Officer makes out a Report and get a copy of it in case it comes back as not stolen, so you can possibly gain ownership of the gun. It is possible that it was stolen but it is also possible that someone may have felt that due to certain individuals in their' home, that their' home would be safer if they took the revolver to the Park and buried it.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds man! I say do whatever you want about the gun. If you want to leave it there someone else will find it in a few more years whoopdie doo!

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Never leave a gun out in the open. Please be responsible and get it to the police.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with not leaving it there kids and all. Either way good hunt

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds man! I say do whatever you want about the gun. If you want to leave it there someone else will find it in a few more years whoopdie doo!

I agree HIGHVDI!

If it didn't have a trigger lock I would've called it in on the spot. After my hunt, 2 inches of snow fell so it's hidden at the moment. I'll be going back when the snow melts to try and find it. Once I relocate it I will have an officer meet me.

When I say park, I mean in the woods with tons of trash around. It's not like it's next to a swing set. There's nothing besides woods until further up the hill where there's a baseball field.

Last edited:

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal Headz, besides catching a bit of grief here, first and foremost, nice recovery(s)...including the firearm.

Many smaller LE Departments welcome the help of Metal Detectors...it can be a bit of a slippery slope to actually be called on to help in the solving of a crime using your machine, but it has been my experience that they would be very grateful for the knowledge of where a missing firearm is located. It also may build one more very useful bridge within your community and the police. Overwhelmingly, most LEOs are decent folks, and would welcome your help.

Regardless, nicely done on your finds.

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal Headz, besides catching a bit of grief here, first and foremost, nice recovery(s)...including the firearm.

Many smaller LE Departments welcome the help of Metal Detectors...it can be a bit of a slippery slope to actually be called on to help in the solving of a crime using your machine, but it has been my experience that they would be very grateful for the knowledge of where a missing firearm is located. It also may build one more very useful bridge within your community and the police. Overwhelmingly, most LEOs are decent folks, and would welcome your help.

Regardless, nicely done on your finds.

Thanks for the support! Everyone is entitled to their opinion whether it's positive or negative so no hard feelings to anyone that replied on this thread. I'll give an update later this week.

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Well that's all settled,
now do something about that God-Awful avatar!
You're scaring my parakeet.

Last edited:

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds. I’d bet money that gun was stolen.

Yep, and that gun hasn’t been in the ground that long, the wooden grips haven’t rotted yet. Definitely notify the police, they can check the serial number to see if it was stolen. You don’t want a kid to find it.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
That weapon is not cancered enough, meaning someone could just soak it in oil for a week or so, pressure wash it off, drill the lock off, then take it down, clean and service it really well, then deploy it into possible future criminal activity.

way to go, not like anyone could not find out such a simplistic method on youtube.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Great hunt, I definitely agree that you should report this gun and see if it was used in any crime, rather than leaving it on the surface in a public area. Regardless though, great finds, that pin is really cool, and surface silver is almost unheard of!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread