Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started early today to detect a probably Iron Age grave mound the archies need to dig because lumberjacks damaged the mound with heavy equipment. Usually these are left untouched but now there was a need to reconstruct the damaged side and have a look inside also.
I do not post pics because it's a dig in progress.
The other thing on this site, it's in the middle of a forest which had seen serious action during the first days of the Battle of the Bulge. There is strictly no detecting allowed with a fine of $2000+ if you do. I had the chance today to detect the area between the grave mounds of the burial ground.

US dugouts (first pic you can see where a nighthawk dug in the middle of the dugout)
35103530dk.jpg

35103531nf.jpg

Fuze and driving band fragments
35103532tt.jpg

And the surprise find. In the mossy ground five 1 1/8" coat size buttons. All in an area of a couple square foot.
Manufacturer is 'ART METALWORKS inc. Newark NJ' I cleaned three of them and left two as found. The other piece is a push button of an ammo pouch or other gear.
35103533yv.jpg

35103535ce.jpg

Other finds were some .30/06, shrapnel and a little piece of a US steel helmet.

Last edited:
Upvote 26

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing thats a dream hunt Thanks for sharing it wowza

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing opportunity. What history.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Pretty interesting Lu. Watch out for those mines, I know from reading they are all over that area. Good luck.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool and treated with respect. no telling what you will find there. was a bad place to be back then

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible buttons, especially that one in the middle. The patina is perfect. Such amazing detail.

Kudos for saving this history, brother.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the replies.
It's strange to detect a site were so many young men died. That's the part of the Ardennes where the term 'Bloody Grounds' was created. Still many KIA still laying there...
Even the coat where the buttons belong to must have some serious history behind it. With the cold weather in Dec. '44 there was no good reason to discard a coat....

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a burial room or something that they are checking for damage?

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liking those WWII buttons. My father fought at The Battle of the Bulge.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know his unit? These come most likely from the 99th Inf. Div..

I still have his lighter from then. It just says Q.M.Co. which I believe is Quarter Masters Company and I think his unit was known as The Rail Splitters.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have his lighter from then. It just says Q.M.Co. which I believe is Quarter Masters Company and I think his unit was known as The Rail Splitters.

These guys fought more south. What is way more interesting to me is the fact the Railsplitters were the unit what fought at my front door before they helped out in the ardennes. We have a memorial stone the 84th is written on along with the other US and the German units who fought here. :occasion14:

Here is a link to a site you can see pics of an anniversary celebration at the stone.
https://www.jagdhorn-juelich.de/aktivitäten/hubertusmesse-linnich-2018/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a burial room or something that they are checking for damage?

That was the question. Nobody had seen inside of the mounds before. Now was the chance to answer some of the questions and restore the mound. I can tell you there was nothing like this in and even no grave goods.

Last edited:

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These guys fought more south. What is way more interesting to me is the fact the Railsplitters were the unit what fought at my front door before they helped out in the ardennes. We have a memorial stone the 84th is written on along with the other US and the German units who fought here. :occasion14:

Here is a link to a site you can see pics of an anniversary celebration at the stone.
https://www.jagdhorn-juelich.de/aktivitäten/hubertusmesse-linnich-2018/

Thank you so very much Westfront for this information!

My father died at the young age of 39, I was only about 6 or 7 at the time. The few things I know/remember came from my mother. I will really look into the link you shared!

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so very much Westfront for this information!

My father died at the young age of 39, I was only about 6 or 7 at the time. The few things I know/remember came from my mother. I will really look into the link you shared!

The cross standing there was set up in 1776 as a memorial to a battle on these fields fought Nov 3. 1444. Exactly 500 years later there was another battle going on starting by the end of Oct. and ended 5 weeks later with a territorial gain of only a couple miles. Then the front came to a rest in the mud and the start of the Battle of the Bulge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread