Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I decided to head to St.Louis to raid some parks before the weather gets too bad. I met up with Holedigger and boy did we have some fun. These parks have been hammered for 4 decades or more but there's obviously still goodies there. ...you just have to be patient and relentless. These are the same parks a ton of us just hit a few weeks ago at the seminar get together. I said then that I was coming back to hunt again and that's just what I did. I had my 6" coil on so we decided to sift through the trashiest and nastiest of spots at each of these parks. I don't care what anyone says...NO place is EVER hunted out. I have taken great pride this year in hunting ONLY pounded to death sites hoping to locate some coins missed and walked over the last 30 years or so. As technology changes between machines..coils...settings...hunting styles..etc....it opens NEW doors to find goodies.
I ended up with more memorials than I have ever dug before...seriously...and I refuse to give you THAT total. ALL of the coins I found were from 5" to 7" and every coin was beneath...beside...on top of...or next to garbage in the hole. Heck I found the barber dime at 6" under a root in a hole with a pulltab and nail. I then dug a clad dime at over 7"???? That's why I decided to dig all signals that were 4" or more. Every memorial I dug was down at least 5"...so I had to dig em'.
The last part of the day I dug what I thought for sure was a seated dime...but my eyes are getting bad...so I wasn't sure.I handed it to Dennis and kept saying "I got a seated...I got a seated"....and Dennis said "holy shi#"...I think you do. He then says "wait a minute"..."holy shi%..I think you got a capped bust". I said "a WHAT. He then says...."son of a b$%^&" it IS a capped bust. We both figured a soldier dropped that coin in the 1860's or so. There would be no other explanation for it being there.
I ended with 5 wheaties...a silver roosey....a 1900 Indian head....2 mercs 1928 and 39...a 1900 barber dime...a lunch token...and then struck paydirt with the 1829 bust dime. I've been chuckling to myself how Holedigger and I were sitting there looking at it and neither of us was exactly sure what it was for a while and couldn't read the date either. Man...we're getting old! What a couple of goofs...we're sitting there all excited and couldn't even see the date on the freakin' coin..ha ha.

Attachments

• coins27.jpg
    coins27.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,009
  • coins28.jpg
    coins28.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,016
  • coins29.jpg
    coins29.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,013
Upvote 0

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freakin' awesome hunt , man. You guy rocked that place.

Congrats on the sweet finds.

Dig-it Ken

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
wow, a bust dime! i love it. i would have to go back east to find one of those...

congrats on a great day!

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oknorom said:
wow, a bust dime! i love it. i would have to go back east to find one of those...

congrats on a great day!

Thanks oknorom

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome capped bust. Don't see those too often. I bet you were pumped when you found out it was a capped and not a seated. :o Great hunt.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog said:
Awesome diggs Buddy,

Sounds like a trip that may be on the books more often.
Congrats!

OD
Thanks OD. I wish I could make that trip a few times each year. We'll see what happens.

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -
Bryce ,I still think that's awesome.Who knows what you will find next.I wish we lived closer so maybe some of your talent would rub off on me when we hunted.So have a good one brother, and good luck on your next hunt.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Way to be persistant. My hunting friend and I have the same problem reading dates on cruddy pennies we find. Solution: bring along 12 YO daughter. :) Keep digging!

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
WOW! WOW! all I can say is WOW! She's a beaut even in that condition. NICE.

Missouri_John

Nov 27, 2006
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Re: Road Tripped and raided the St. Louis parks and plucked out an 1829 capped b

which park in St Louis did you pull those goodies out of?

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Wow is right, well done and congrats.
Too bad you didn't get a seated,
then you would have had all 5 dimes (6 with clad roosie)
made in the last 3 centuries. Freaking awesome!

;D

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW :o just look at all that silver. Very nice, and a capped bust dime to boot. My hats off to ya. A big congratulations :o

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to Bust a Find, or should I say finds.
Nice variety of coins.
WTG!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
Awesome capped bust. Don't see those too often. I bet you were pumped when you found out it was a capped and not a seated. :o Great hunt.
Thanks Evolution.I was definately pumped.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
t-bucket said:
Bryce ,I still think that's awesome.Who knows what you will find next.I wish we lived closer so maybe some of your talent would rub off on me when we hunted.So have a good one brother, and good luck on your next hunt.
Thanks G. You should've gone brother.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danimal said:
congrats on all the beautiful dimes.
You hit the quad!
Thanks Danimal. I don't think I would have found squat if it wasn't for the 6" coil sniffing through the trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread