Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I decided to head to St.Louis to raid some parks before the weather gets too bad. I met up with Holedigger and boy did we have some fun. These parks have been hammered for 4 decades or more but there's obviously still goodies there. ...you just have to be patient and relentless. These are the same parks a ton of us just hit a few weeks ago at the seminar get together. I said then that I was coming back to hunt again and that's just what I did. I had my 6" coil on so we decided to sift through the trashiest and nastiest of spots at each of these parks. I don't care what anyone says...NO place is EVER hunted out. I have taken great pride this year in hunting ONLY pounded to death sites hoping to locate some coins missed and walked over the last 30 years or so. As technology changes between machines..coils...settings...hunting styles..etc....it opens NEW doors to find goodies.
I ended up with more memorials than I have ever dug before...seriously...and I refuse to give you THAT total. ALL of the coins I found were from 5" to 7" and every coin was beneath...beside...on top of...or next to garbage in the hole. Heck I found the barber dime at 6" under a root in a hole with a pulltab and nail. I then dug a clad dime at over 7"???? That's why I decided to dig all signals that were 4" or more. Every memorial I dug was down at least 5"...so I had to dig em'.
The last part of the day I dug what I thought for sure was a seated dime...but my eyes are getting bad...so I wasn't sure.I handed it to Dennis and kept saying "I got a seated...I got a seated"....and Dennis said "holy shi#"...I think you do. He then says "wait a minute"..."holy shi%..I think you got a capped bust". I said "a WHAT. He then says...."son of a b$%^&" it IS a capped bust. We both figured a soldier dropped that coin in the 1860's or so. There would be no other explanation for it being there.
I ended with 5 wheaties...a silver roosey....a 1900 Indian head....2 mercs 1928 and 39...a 1900 barber dime...a lunch token...and then struck paydirt with the 1829 bust dime. I've been chuckling to myself how Holedigger and I were sitting there looking at it and neither of us was exactly sure what it was for a while and couldn't read the date either. Man...we're getting old! What a couple of goofs...we're sitting there all excited and couldn't even see the date on the freakin' coin..ha ha.

Attachments

• coins27.jpg
    coins27.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,009
  • coins28.jpg
    coins28.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,016
  • coins29.jpg
    coins29.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,013
Upvote 0
OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mona Lisa said:
Can I borrow your lucky shirt, freaky?? 8) 8)

That's awesome! Congratulations....your patience and perseverance payed off. :o

Thanks Mona. Wish I could let you borrow the shirt...but it's my favorite. I've got some other tie dye shirts and I'll have to give them a try some time. If I find another one that feels "lucky"...I'll definately share with you.

itbeepsidig

Oct 8, 2007
No that's a find of a lifetime. I think I shall be checking into a smaller coil. Is it hard getting used to the sounds...or is it about the same as a bigger coil? I've heard it takes some getting used to.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Sweet Finds! Looks like you found the secret of finding the good ones. Way to go!

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
piggman1 said:
Sweet Finds! Looks like you found the secret of finding the good ones. Way to go!
Thanks Piggman...no secret...just a little luck.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find! By the look of that dime, I would guess it was in circulation for many years before it was dropped!

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Great find! By the look of that dime, I would guess it was in circulation for many years before it was dropped!

Thanks Neil. Yep it's a worn critter...but a bust is a bust. :P

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Now thats a sweet find!!! Congrats on your silver and that Bust dime is a heart stopper!! My nephew used to hunt with Ric, Gold Digger, Big Mike, TC, and a few others there a few years ago and brought home some great finds in the two years he lived there!

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jack(IN) said:
Now thats a sweet find!!! Congrats on your silver and that Bust dime is a heart stopper!! My nephew used to hunt with Ric, Gold Digger, Big Mike, TC, and a few others there a few years ago and brought home some great finds in the two years he lived there!
Thanks Jack. I just hunted with Golddigger and big Mike about a month ago. That's when I plucked out another half dime that I posted here.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was one amazing hunt!

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KirkPA said:
That is an awesome find, buddy. You made me proud!
Thanks Bro. I wish I would have had more than 5 hours to hunt once I got there...but I'll take what I can get. It was a two hour drive there...5 hours worth of hunting...then a 2 hour drive back home ...so the lady wouldn't boot me to the couch!:rolleyes ::) ::)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Re: Road Tripped and raided the St. Louis parks and plucked out an 1829 capped b

Silverfreak -- that's a freakin great find. I never found one of those. Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread