FIND OF MY LIFETIME!!! Are you ready for this??

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All!

Obviously, gotta tell the story first- I actually found this Saturday March 15, but have been shaking too much to type!

I started working with a new guy at my job two weeks ago. As we got to know each other, I told him about my hobby and asked him where he lived and he told me a pretty old nearby town. I asked if he knew of any old parks, etc. to hunt and he told me that his house was built in the 1700's, so of course I asked him if my hunting partner Mike and I could hunt it.

He agreed, and we decided to sell and split if we found anything significant. We planned on hunting this past Saturday, but of course it had to rain, like it does every Saturday (which is my only full day off of the week!), but since it was clearing up about noon-ish, we headed up.

BTW, I Google-earthed his house and it looked huge, and it appeared to have a large front yard bisected by a circular drive. We were both pretty psyched.

When we got there, we saw the front yard was much smaller than it appeared on Google. The back of the house was huge, but overgrown with pretty high grass, small trees and so on- not easily huntable.

I decided to do that front section and gridded it up and down. First few passes yielded 2 wheats, 2 Indians and an assortment of old junk. I was pretty much done with the yard when I got a signal that sounded silverish, and although it didn't repeat perfectly, sounded definitely good enough to dig. I was down about 8-10 inches when my next handful of dirt told me I had the coin. I checked the hole, nothing else, so in my bucket went the dirt. Mike was with me at this point and he sifted through the dirt- VOILA!

As soon as he lifted it, I swear I saw 1652. I thought- SHILLING. But as he turned it over a couple of times, it looked like a Spanish coin. I took it over to a nearby puddle, rinsed the dirt off and sure as s#$%, there was a Pine Tree staring at me. PINE TREE SHILLING!!!

I still can't believe it to this very second- it's in amazing shape and I'm sending it out to PCGS to be certified, then we're doing as I promised- selling and splitting.

The third pic is of the coin in a holder in my hand- just to prove (to myself!!) this actually happened.

If I never find another coin....................

HH all,

Jeff

Attachments

• 1652shilling 001c.jpg
    1652shilling 001c.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 9,585
  • 1652shilling 004c.jpg
    1652shilling 004c.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 9,545
  • 1652shillingc.jpg
    1652shillingc.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 9,661
Upvote 9

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW---That is a super find :thumbsup:--- I would still be smiling.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff,
Any updates??

Did you get it graded? Did you sell it? Were you able to hunt the property again? If so, did you find anything else? Inquiring minds want to know...I want to know. lol

NJ

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW you hit it big Time :thumbsup: ::)

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
Gee, I don't know why this post was brought back up to the top, but now that it is here, I'm wondering what the outcome on this coin was?

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is museum quality. I just happen to be starting a museum. Be a great stocking stuffer!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
How in Blue Blazes did I miss this post, I must be going blind.

Way to go. That is an awesome find. Definitely the find of a lifetime. I would keep looking around for more. Keep up the awesome job.

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread