10 Silver, 69 Wheats, New Hunt Video!! "UPDATE: Video 2 Just Added"

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
10 Silver, 69 Wheats, New Hunt Video!! "UPDATE: Video 2 Just Added"

Hello Fellow Tnetters,

From following this weekend's posts, it sure looks like many of you are making some great finds out there. Hope everyone who's been couped up in their homes for the past few months due to weather can get out there and enjoy this great hobby!! Last week here in S. CA was very beautiful. It was in the 70's, with partly cloudy skies. On Tuesday, I went out on a group hunt with a couple of my weekly hunting buds. My buddy, Jon(goldenapples) brought his video camera and captured quite a bit of film from many of our digs that day. It was a good day for all. I ended up with 3 silver (though not as old as I was hoping for), along with 12 wheats. All were captured on film. I ended the week with 10 silvers (9 dimes, including a '16S merc and 1 sterling religious pendant), along with 69 wheaties (teens through 50's).

The film is a compilation of some of our digs. I want to thank Jon for taking the time to film and edit this compilation. I know it took hours to edit and upload all the clips. He did a great job!!! :thumbsup: He said all the clips were too long to fit on one video, so when I get a couple other individual clips from him, I will post them here for all to view. This vid is about 17 minutes long, so sit back when you have time and enjoy the film. Also, for you SE :newbie:'s, the film will provide you with a better understanding of the way deep coins sound and what to listen for when you're out there hunting in the turf. It also shows that some of those deep coins that sound like silver don't always turn out to be silver :icon_scratch:, but you gotta dig them.

Thanks for reading and watching the film!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Here's some 8-9"+ signals....

Attachments

• IMG_2525.JPG
    IMG_2525.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,139
Upvote 0

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: 10 Silver, 69 Wheats, New Hunt Video!!

O yea wheat and silver , You cant go wrong. :wav:

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'd take that any day (or week as the case may be..)

Nice job,
Nat

txpathfinder

Feb 4, 2008
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Hey guys, good to see you in action and congrats for getting it on film for all to share. Is that a cut dime? It looks to be near uncirculated. What is the story on that? Mint error released into circulation or other?

About the detectors; From similar I have seen and the sound, I would say your instruments were Minelabs? How do you see pull tab/ bottle cap/ aluminum scrap when digging a park. I know that with my Ace 250 I pretty much have to ignore most nickel signals to avoid digging pull tab after pull tab in parks and public grounds.
I was pretty impressed with the depth of your finds. It seems that most coins were below 6 inches. If you would please speak about these things when you have a chance. I think alot of people would be interested. Kudos and HH! Joe in Austin

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice video guys and congrats on the silver and wheats! HH, Mike

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great to have a video I can watch! (YouTube blocked at work and I'm on dial up at home; Zzzzzzz).

One comment. You guys dig HUGE holes. I try to keep mine to plugs 3" around down to 8" deep. Three jabs & a flip and then further digging as needed. The local park superintendant would clobber me over the head with a rake if I turned 8" plugs. :laughing1:

I like the idea of the square piece of innertube for the drop apron. I'm gonna steal that one.

Good fun fun & great silver. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Thanks, Nat , Bav_Mike, and Extractor!!

Charlie, I've never had that much succes with the Explorers digging 3" round plugs down to 9". It's difficult to further dig within a 3" radius down to 9". My lesche blade is practically 3" across. This park had lots of trash in the ground, along with medium to large size rocks, and lots of tree roots. Sometimes, you have to make the hole a little bigger just to remove a large rock sticking sideways, or to get around a tree root. Smaller plugs are not necessarily better. I've seen smaller plugs die while the larger ones showed no signs of browning....at least that was my observation. If I keep a larger area of roots intact, those roots will be damaged less.

Hi AustinJoe. Thanks for your comments. The cut silver/wheats are common in S. CA. parks. I find them all the time. The maintenance crew mows the park turf lawn weekly over here, and they have been for the past 50+ years. That's a lot of chances for those coins to get clipped. Yes, we all are using Minelab machines. We have found these machines to be the best for our area when digging deep turf coinage. Nickel signals do sound like beaver tails/ring tabs, aluminum slaw, etc. Their tone using conductive sounds on the Explorers is much lower than copper/silver items. I usually only dig them if they are real deep and have a consistent low fluty tone. I'm not much interested in the newer clad coinage when I'm out hunting, so I cherry pick over many shallow signals searching for those elusive deeper signals. And yes, I dug some coins that day down to 9".

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado

Hello Dan!
You are the man! And, certainly an inspiration to us all!

It's snowing here in Trinidad, Colorado and the ground's still frozen too! I basically have sold all my MD'ing equipment now but against the doctor's wishes I'm tempting myself to get back into the swing of things! I've got a few feelers out for another SE & possibly a Cortes. :)

You take care!
GRB

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used

Hey, GRB...it's good to hear from you again. Thanks for your reply. Hope you can get back out there soon with minimal pain. I know you've found some oldies in your neck of the woods. I'm sure there's plenty more.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.

Nice finds there, capt. Sounds like you guys had a real good time.
Bob

kntutt

Mar 3, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite

What a great video. Because I am new to this I learned much about different tomes. Thanks

Ken

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds, but what video I don't see a video??

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used

Thanks, Bob, kntutt, and MUD(S.W.A.T)!!

MUD(S.W.A.T), just mouse click the video pic(Hunting Orange County) and be patient while it is loading. I just tried it. It should work.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea,

Thats the problem, I don't see a (picture link) just the picture of the group of coins. :( I think its my computer >:( maybe you can do a directlink (Just copy and paste the adress) or mail me a link.

Sorry,
Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to go Dan. This is the best video yet...especially for new hunters wanting to know what silver sounds like when it's deeper or mixed in with something. It also shows that we ALL dig some "stinkin Lincolns" when looking for the deepies. Sometimes they sound just like silver so you gotta' dig 'em. Nice job buddy :thumbsup:

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Always love silver...Great video, great new ways to show real hunting. :thumbsup:
There should be a video section on the forum... 8)

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

Awesome park, great finds, excellent recovery techniques and sweet video. :thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I guess it wouldn't be the same without a clipped dime Dan.The one Merc look's great.Thank's for the show guy's.....congrat's and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread