Garage Sale find - LC , Half Dimes, Reale, Buffs - $16 - Good deal?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on my way to Home Depot, and decided to stop by a garage sale in the neighborhood. After picking up an ELO and Partridge Family album for $1.00 each I spotted a table with a few bags of wheat pennies. Next to the pennies was this small box of coins, some with holes in them.
I didn't even know what some of them were, but I did see the LC and Buffs. I had never seen a Half Dime in my life and couldn't believe how tiny those suckers are! There were a few other small pieces in there too that I had no idea what they were. I didn't have my glasses on. :'( Anyways, we struck a deal for the two albums & box of coins for $18 total. $16 for the coin box.
I know they are not the best of shape, but are they worth $16.00???? :icon_scratch: ???
Here's what I discovered I bought:

*A 1852 LC.

*Buffs - 1927 , 1935"S" , 1936.

*18?? Half Dime - hole drilled through date. :'( :'( :'(

*1850 Half Dime - looks to be in at least F12 or above condition.

*Small "PLATED" button.

*A SILVER REALE - Measures just over 16mm. Not the best of shape but I was excited to discover it in the box. :thumbsup:
Is this a ONE reale?
It's a HALF-reale ID'd by Kyle. "Thanks Kyle".
I must say, I find better coins at garage sales instead of trying to dig them up? ;D :thumbsup:
Back to work.
Thanks for looking,
MM

P.S.
Nick,
Does the LC count on our bet? :tongue3: :wink:

Attachments

• MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 1,561
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 1,542
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,538
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,551
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,554
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,552
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,550
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,557
Upvote 0

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
A one real is about the size of a nickel, Doug. A half real is about the size of a dime.

Kyle

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you did very well with the coins. The bad news is that those records were a complete waste of money :icon_pirat:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However damaged and cleaned, $16 for the lot is a good deal. Seeing how I can't buy any seated coin damaged or not for under $19 from my local coin stores.

Nice find,

Keep @ it and HH!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What? No picture of the Partridge Family album? I feel like I'm getting ripped off here. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: I think you did OK Doug.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Zoyboy said:
A one real is about the size of a nickel, Doug. A half real is about the size of a dime.

Kyle

Thanks Kyle.
I corrected above. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

incajoe said:
I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you did very well with the coins. The bad news is that those records were a complete waste of money :icon_pirat:

LMAO!!! ;D Thanks Joe.
How can you live without a Monkees and Partridge Family album? :icon_scratch: ;D
I'm happy with the good news. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Evolution said:
What? No picture of the Partridge Family album? I feel like I'm getting ripped off here. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: I think you did OK Doug.

Ev,
Just for you Buddy. Here's the picture. Is it Mrs. Partridge you had the hots for? :o ;D
I buy some of these old albums so my daughter can decorate her walls. She's following in my 70's footsteps I think? :o :tongue3: :wink:
Hope you're having a great w/end. I just found a dollar bill on the floor while I was at Home Depot on my 2nd trip. Yeah, Baby!!! :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Attachments

• MVC-014S.JPG
    MVC-014S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,407
  • MVC-015S.JPG
    MVC-015S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,403

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
That poor kid, you're going to stunt her growth by making her look at some of those horrible records! :tard:

(If you didn't already figure it out I am way too opinionated about music for my own good)

Lamont.Scraps

Jan 8, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
One h%$# of a deal I would say...I would pay $16 just for the feeling I got from pulling the coins out and IDing them!!!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lamont.Scraps said:
One h%$# of a deal I would say...I would pay $16 just for the feeling I got from pulling the coins out and IDing them!!!

Lamont,
My feeling exactly. I had a lot of fun just looking them up in the coin book when I got home. There were others there too that had been drilled and made into necklaces. I guess I should have looked those over too, but I was in a hurry. He wanted $9.00 for a bag of wheaties. There looked to be at least 100 wheats in a bag.
-MM-

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Just think of all the things you could have wasted $16 on; you have pieces of American history that very few ever see (unless they're detectorists!).

DebbzInNC

Feb 23, 2008
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Ummmm..excuse me Doug...ummmm... which of those coins will look the best on my bracelet....ummmm...which one with the hole in it did you say I could have for my charm bracelet? I'll have the bracelet with me at work on Monday, so decide quickly. I'm bringing $. Its gonna look great on there. LMAO!! :D
Omg! Your daughter has the old Boston and Janis albums on the wall. Thats brings back major memories!!
U did gooood.

sneaky6

Aug 14, 2007
Deep Dug Hole, VA
Dang!!! SC buttons pop out of the ground for you and now you are cleaning up at garage sales!! Wow!! There is no stopping you, Miner! Those are some great coins!! Sixteen bucks well spent!! I just do not know how you do it!!

Keep Digging!! or shopping garage sales!!!
Sneaky6

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
halfdime said:
Just think of all the things you could have wasted $16 on; you have pieces of American history that very few ever see (unless they're detectorists!).

Thanks Halfdime.
Now I know why you picked "Halfdime" as your TN name. What beautiful coins those are. I can't imagine them even making coins that small. I would think a lot more of them would have been lost due to the size.
-MM-

DebbzInNC said:
Ummmm..excuse me Doug...ummmm... which of those coins will look the best on my bracelet....ummmm...which one with the hole in it did you say I could have for my charm bracelet? I'll have the bracelet with me at work on Monday, so decide quickly. I'm bringing $. Its gonna look great on there. LMAO!! :D

Thanks Deb.
I have one picked out for you already. It will look great!
See ya on Monday. These w/ends go too fast. :'(
-Doug-

sneaky6 said:
Dang!!! SC buttons pop out of the ground for you and now you are cleaning up at garage sales!! Wow!! There is no stopping you, Miner! Those are some great coins!! Sixteen bucks well spent!! I just do not know how you do it!!
Keep Digging!! or shopping garage sales!!!
Sneaky6

Thanks Sneaky. Now if I could just hit that darn lottery I could be detecting 24/7. :tongue3:
-MM-

TXBLUZMAN said:
Yep that is a good deal. I'll give you $17 dollars for them! :thumbsup:

Thanks TX. Since everything is bigger in TX, just put a "1" in front of that "17" and we'll have a deal. ;D :wink: :tongue3:
-MM-

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Wow, I can see 5 of those albums hanging on the wall were in my collection at one point in time. They all got wet in a basement flood :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread