Garage Sale find - LC , Half Dimes, Reale, Buffs - $16 - Good deal?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on my way to Home Depot, and decided to stop by a garage sale in the neighborhood. After picking up an ELO and Partridge Family album for $1.00 each I spotted a table with a few bags of wheat pennies. Next to the pennies was this small box of coins, some with holes in them.
I didn't even know what some of them were, but I did see the LC and Buffs. I had never seen a Half Dime in my life and couldn't believe how tiny those suckers are! There were a few other small pieces in there too that I had no idea what they were. I didn't have my glasses on. :'( Anyways, we struck a deal for the two albums & box of coins for $18 total. $16 for the coin box.
I know they are not the best of shape, but are they worth $16.00???? :icon_scratch: ???
Here's what I discovered I bought:

*A 1852 LC.

*Buffs - 1927 , 1935"S" , 1936.

*18?? Half Dime - hole drilled through date. :'( :'( :'(

*1850 Half Dime - looks to be in at least F12 or above condition.

*Small "PLATED" button.

*A SILVER REALE - Measures just over 16mm. Not the best of shape but I was excited to discover it in the box. :thumbsup:
Is this a ONE reale?
It's a HALF-reale ID'd by Kyle. "Thanks Kyle".
I must say, I find better coins at garage sales instead of trying to dig them up? ;D :thumbsup:
Back to work.
Thanks for looking,
MM

P.S.
Nick,
Does the LC count on our bet? :tongue3: :wink:

Attachments

• MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 1,562
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,558
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,551
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,553
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,555
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,552
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,539
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 1,543
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gribnitz said:
Wow, I can see 5 of those albums hanging on the wall were in my collection at one point in time. They all got wet in a basement flood :(

Grib,
Now THAT was some real music, unlike this rap cr-p we hear today. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Muddy Waters said:
ELO brings back alot of memories, good stuff brother, Bryan in Wilson

I agree Bryan. Those were great times for me back in the 70's. Some of my best and crazy memories. I'm glad I survived them. :thumbsup:
Great musclecars, great music, and fun times. Yeah Baby. :tongue3: :tongue3: :o ;D
-MM-

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Good finds there ! Wish i was at that NC yardsale ! But i was probably at another one here in NC LOL . :icon_sunny:

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey doug I`ll give you my morrisville buffalo for the partridge family album :thumbsup:

I guess i`ll have to check out a few this year.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doug, I think thats the best garage sale EVER :wink: :wink:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Doug, I think thats the best garage sale EVER :wink: :wink:

Thanks Josh.
I got lucky I think. Those little half dimes are so cool. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Doug you lucky dude,
I have to work all week for $16.00. Too bad I like to eat, or I could have bought stuff like that lol.
Dig the girl's room.
TN Joe

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a good deal MM--Neat stuff and you never even got your hands dirty. ;D

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Hey Doug.

Nate and I just got back from the DFXonly hunt in Ohio today. With about 60 people there were some pretty sweet finds including a Morgan Dollar, Seated Quarter, Half Dime (no hole) and 6 large cents. I'll try to post my finds tomorrow (nothing spectacular ).

As far as your Garage Sale finds...I think you did fine. Maybe just a good deal. Those half reales in Fine condition without a hole go for about $13 to $20 each. It's amazing how much a hole will cause the value of a coin to depreciate. I picked up a Bust Half dollar with a hole in in for $10-$15 a few years ago. Shoot, a LC without a date and with a hole...maybe a $1. Each of the Buffalos should bring at least a dollar.

So.... 3 buffs at $1.50 each + two seated at $5.00 each + LC at $1.50 = $16.00. So the extra coin is pure profitt. ;D ;D Maybe I'm being conservative and things have changed but I'm trying to keep it real. I've gone to plenty of coin shows and purchased these coins....

Now, I do have a Bust Half Dollar in my collection with a hole in it. Much better to have a coin with a hole in it for less than 1/4 the value of the coin without the hole than to have none at all! Shoot, any Bust half dollar without a hole is over $100.

Bob

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Mirage said:
Hey Doug.

Nate and I just got back from the DFXonly hunt in Ohio today. With about 60 people there were some pretty sweet finds including a Morgan Dollar, Seated Quarter, Half Dime (no hole) and 6 large cents. I'll try to post my finds tomorrow (nothing spectacular ).

As far as your Garage Sale finds...I think you did fine. Maybe just a good deal. Those half reales in Fine condition without a hole go for about $13 to $20 each. It's amazing how much a hole will cause the value of a coin to depreciate. I picked up a Bust Half dollar with a hole in in for $10-$15 a few years ago. Shoot, a LC without a date and with a hole...maybe a $1. Each of the Buffalos should bring at least a dollar.

So.... 3 buffs at $1.50 each + two seated at $5.00 each + LC at $1.50 = $16.00. So the extra coin is pure profitt. ;D ;D Maybe I'm being conservative and things have changed but I'm trying to keep it real. I've gone to plenty of coin shows and purchased these coins....

Now, I do have a Bust Half Dollar in my collection with a hole in it. Much better to have a coin with a hole in it for less than 1/4 the value of the coin without the hole than to have none at all! Shoot, any Bust half dollar without a hole is over $100.

Bob
Bob, does this one qualify?

Attachments

• busted 002 (Small).jpg
    busted 002 (Small).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 608

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going on the Coins, you're looking at 40-50 Depending on the Reale. I know you're not going to sell it. ;D HH

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good deal on the coins and nice album collection! HH, Mike

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
What? No picture of the Partridge Family album? I feel like I'm getting ripped off here. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: I think you did OK Doug.
I gotta' agree with Evo on this. It just aint right posting without a pic of the Partridge Family album ;D

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the replies. Hopefully I can find some of these types of coins with my detector soon. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Fast_Dave

Mar 21, 2003
Superior, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, White's 6000, Fisher Aquanaut
No one else has commented that I can see so I'll ask. Is that last "coin" pictured an apothecary weight? By the way, which ELO album was it? Out Of The Blue was one of my favorites in high school.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fast_Dave said:
No one else has commented that I can see so I'll ask. Is that last "coin" pictured an apothecary weight? By the way, which ELO album was it? Out Of The Blue was one of my favorites in high school.

Dave,
Yep, ELO "Out of the blue". One of my favs in high school too.
The last item pictured is a button.
Thanks for asking,
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread