Speaking of old tin type pictures....

O

ozzysdad

Speaking of old tin type picture's....

I found this old tin type photo in an old family trunk, That belonged to my grandmother on my father's side, Who's last name was Zinn, After a bit of research i found that the Zinn's, Beck's, Hill's and finally the Jone's were related to Abraham Lincoln, I really don't know for sure the identity of the lady in the pic, But had to wonder if it might be a Lincoln? I've done some searches on google, and have seen a few pic's of Mrs. Lincoln, and there is some resemblence? Anyone know where i might get a better chance of finding out?

Attachments

• Old Tin Type from Zinn Trunk.jpg
    Old Tin Type from Zinn Trunk.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 424
Upvote 0

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
Re: Speaking of old tin type picture's....

Ill be danged, it does kinda look like her huh? Nice find, i love those old pics. Good luck on your next hunt.

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 - White's Spectra V3i - White's XLT - Minelab Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o? I'm not 100% certain, but I think what you have there is a Daguerreotype which pre-dates Tintypes..........Daguerreotype's were introduced around 1839 and gained major popularity between the years 1852 - 1854 here in the states, but there are a few examples out there from the later 1840's as well. They gave way to tintypes around 1858 - 1860, but as with anything, there were still some produced into the 1860's. The easiest way to tell early Daguerreotype, is if it has a mirror like finish to it...........By reflecting a white piece of paper onto the surface photo the image will appears as a negative........if it is a Daguerreotype........Most Daguerreotype portraits had some color in small amounts added by artificial means,? but some do exist with more color, which indicates a professional artist was employed in it's processing meaning extra cost of course..........In 1849 John Whipple patented? what is known as the "Crayon Daguerreotype"? producing a Vignetted Daguerreotype with a light-colored background.............now during the 1850's variations of this technique, produced what is called a "Magic Background".? Using a series of paper cutouts on the center of the plate while exposing the plate produced a halo effect around the photo.............. The Postmortem or Memorial Photograph was a common way of documenting the death of a family member................. taken to give the appearance that the person is sleeping............hence the close eyes............The style of dress and hair also suggest early 1850's and the plainness of style suggest perhaps Puritan or Quaker......... Now comes the difficult part...........look into your genealogy ( Family History) and start researching............. my guess would be that you're looking for a female relative who died in the late 1840's.......early 1850's .... was between the ages of 55 - 65 years old at the time of death............and possibly had a strong religious affiliation.........concentrating first on your Grandmothers immediate family.........you may never know who it is for sure, but you can you can probably narrow it down and make a strong educated guess..................... ::) sorry I got a bit long winded............. hope this helps........BTW, be careful you might just get bitten by the Genealogy bug.........and believe me it bites hard :D

OP
OP
O

ozzysdad

I found this picture at a website, One of Mary Todd Lincoln (younger pic) and the pic i have, It sure look's like the same woman, The difference of the mole might have been caused by the plate or negative image being reversed.

Attachments

• untitledMaryToddLincoln.jpg
    untitledMaryToddLincoln.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 308
OP
OP
O

ozzysdad

My pic from the trunk.

Attachments

101.5 KB · Views: 365
    101.5 KB · Views: 291
OP
OP
O

ozzysdad

Also is there a member of this forum that know's how to post the image's side by side for easier comparisom?

Thank's, ozzysdad

OP
OP
O

ozzysdad

Hey, Badger

Thank's so much, You be the man..........Cool...... ;)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well if it aint her ,it could sure be her sister!(did she even have one?)You might be on to something.Good luck and H.H.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool pic~

HH

Lonewolfe

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sure looks like Mrs Lincoln to me, and my wife's professional photographer's eye agrees, although it's impossible to know for sure. I'd take it as is to an antique dealer and see what they think. Nice item! HH!

OP
OP
O

ozzysdad

I think i have searched countless website's and can't find a single pic of Mary Todd Lincoln that was taken in her later year's. I wonder if the Smithsonian or if there is a site for Antique's Roadshow that might have a clue? There is some writing on the back that i can't quite make out and can hardly get to show up on a scan, I might try to scan it again and post it as well. Maybe someone that's better with photoshop can bring it out..... Might solve the mystery ;)

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 - White's Spectra V3i - White's XLT - Minelab Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o I guess, I'll be the odd ball out here and say that while the individuals in the photos look very similar and could possible even be related. I don't believe that they are the same person..............I sight the following reasons for my opinion:

1) The earliest known pic of Mary (Todd) Lincoln was taken in 1846 when she was 28 years old. http://members.aol.com/RVSNorton/Lincoln21.html

? ? ?By first dating your picture........... let for the sake of argument say your photo was taken between 1860 - 1863, the peak years of tintypes............( I personally believe is was taken in the early 1850's, but that neither here or there)..............

? ? ? Mary Todd Lincoln would have been approx. age 42 - 45 years old .................... which is probably close to the age of known photo of Mary (Todd) Lincoln you provided for comparison, give or take a year or so. http://members.aol.com/RVSNorton/Lincoln15.html

The woman in your photo appears older than age 42 - 45 ..................... I could be wrong.

2) After close study of the two pictures............? a few details stand out which again in my opinion rules out them being the same person............

A) The distance between the eye and the width of the bridge of nose on the individual in your photo is much greater than that of photo of Mrs. Lincoln.

B) The tip of the nose on the Lady in your photo, also appears broader and? more flattend than that of Mrs. Lincoln's

C) The shape of the brows on the women in your photo is more compact like the shape of and upside down "U" while that of Mrs. Lincoln's? is more elongated and has a gentler curve to it...................

These are features that do not change with age, only plastic surgery............ of which I have assisted with for over 18 years...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Author of the above web pages invites questions about Mary (Todd) Lincoln.........His email is on the web page.......... send him a copy of this thread and get his opinion it couldn't hurt.....................................

P.S. I don't want to sound like an expert or a know it all and I hope I don't ............................. Please understand this is only my humble opinion .......

F

Floater

Good Post PSGEN. OD looks like you may be on to something. The writing on the back of the tin could be important. Try to preserve it don't clean it. Scan it and have an expert look at it. If this is a Pic of MTL the you could have a nice piece of history and be a fairly valuable find as well. Thanks for posting it. I love this stuff. HH
PS. hows the Boat project?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions