A very unexpected find!!!!!

Carver

Dec 19, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
M6
Hi all!
I don't usually post here but thought I had to show this find.. I found this in my Mother-in-laws' yard,,, Turn of the century farm house,, nothing special about it,,, at least as far as I know... I'm gonna research a little more now tho! I was using my M6 with the stock coil and got a very loud penny hit at 4",,, I figured it was a hunk of iron or junk but I dug anyway as I wanted to see what was buried in this yard because I've never hunted it before. At 6" I popped out this heavy disk that was covered in white powdery stuff. When I cleaned it with soap and water and a toothbrush this is what I found. It's a Union Enlisteds' man's shoulder belt plate, circa 1863,, It still has the studs on the back and is in great shape. I'm told it's very rare to find one in this condition with the studs... I'm in seventh heaven!!!! A find of a lifetime for me! Thanks for looking,,, Dan

Attachments

• 000_0051.jpg
    000_0051.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 2,274
  • 000_0050.jpg
    000_0050.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 2,264
Upvote 0

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT
Now you have an excuse to go see your mother-n-law all the time LOL.Very nice find, I wonder what else is in her yard, keep searching there is bound to be more.HH.jeff

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Carverwood let me be the first to say YOWWWWWW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its AWESOOOOOOME !!! :icon_thumleft: :icon_salut: :headbang: :hello2: :blob9: :icon_thumright:

Congrats ;D I had to chuckle that the curiosity of What is it ? got ya even though you thought is was gonna be a big chunk of iron :laughing11:

No chunk of iron !!!!!!!
Maybe you better hunt the mother-inlaw's yard throughly :icon_cheers:

WTG !! FANTASTIC find !!!

Derek :tongue1:

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, very nice find. :D

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The white powder was the lead oxide patina on the lead back. Your breastplate even has the hooks that are normally rusted off. Very little or no ground action. Awesome Find!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one HELLUVA find. And it is the nicest condition Dug breast plate that I have EVER seen. Not even any marks from the iron coming through the front of the plate. Very little corrosion, AND Both of the hooks.

Wow. Congratulations!

P.S.--I'd be willing to bet that you find an eagle button in that yard as well. :wink:

-Buckleboy

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa...Nice Relic. That's definitely worthy of the Banner. You should be very proud of that find, Don't sell it. Congrats and HH

Lamont.Scraps

Jan 8, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Wow that plate is in great shape, I would be hunting that yard to death. Congratulations, keep us posted on everything else you find there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread