First 5 hours with MXT nets oldest coin! Plus, got my first Barber Dime!!!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    us
    Jan 2008
    Missouri
    WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
    1 times

First 5 hours with MXT nets oldest coin! Plus, got my first Barber Dime!!!

Hey all,
    You may recall reading my post about having problems with my Bounty Hunter 505...the main problem being not finding any silver, and only diggin 3 or 4 coins deeper than 4 inches in four months. I KNEW there was silver down there, I just couldn't get to it with that BH. I did get a 1939 Washington Quarter at 8 to 10 inches, but it read as a penny until I had it out of the ground, and it was in loose rocks, not packed clay...
    Anyway, I loved the BH, but I had to upgrade...to a White's MXT! This thing is a hot rod. She is a nickel slayin', silver seeking, gold diggin' son of a gun, and I am in love!!! The first 2 1/2 hours got me a silver Rosie at 7.5" measured (only my third silver, and my first dime past 3 1/2 inches), a necklace (junk) and $7.50 in clad (a chunk of which was nickels). The next 2 1/2 hours netted me an additional $4.20 in clad, the below 1951 Rosie (7" measured), and some more to be mentioned in the story below, but first the Rosies...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first2rosies.jpg 
Views:	1720 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	204905

I found the '51 in a place I have been over with the BH three times, this time the dime was singing to me through those headphones...then, about 2 feet away, I got a slightly more faint sound, saying 1c-10c, pinpointing at 8". I said to myself "this has got to be that Merc...finally!"...it was right, I was wrong! Here she is, my first Barber...

Name:	toms 007.jpg 
Views:	1725 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	204906

Name:	1st barber 1905.jpg 
Views:	1707 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	204907

After that, I found out that it was hard to metal detect while staring at a coin, so I decided to go home and have a steak and a beer whilst staring at my Barber (coin that is...lol). I couldn't take it, so I finished the beer, grabbed my new MXT (carefully, gingerly) and went back to the park. Wasn't there 10 minutes, and I got a signal (screwcap to zinc penny, 6") that turned out to be my oldest coin to date! 1895!

Name:	toms 005.jpg 
Views:	1709 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	204908

Name:	1895 IH back.jpg 
Views:	1696 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	204909

Before this, my oldest coin was an 1899 IH (found my first day with the BH at four inches). Man I love those Indians, and now the Barbers too!!!
    Thanks for lookin' and I hope you enjoyed the story/pics! And, thanks in advance for the comments!

~Tom
    ALL GAVE SOME...some gave ALL!

us
    Oct 2007
    Pascagoula Ms.
    minelab exp.
    51 times

Re: First 5 hours with MXT nets oldest coin! And, skipped the merc and got a Barber!

Very nice finds.. A good machine can find alot older, deeper relics ..Its going to get real fun for you now..Goodluck.. Relic

us
    Jan 2008
    Missouri
    1 times

Re: First 5 hours with MXT nets oldest coin! And, skipped the merc and got a Barber!

Thanks a lot RD, I can't wait to hit some of those areas that I couldn't get to produce before!

~Tom

us
    Dec 2007
    Burien, Wa.
    Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    9 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I also swing an MXT. It is great goin from a pinto to a cadillac. Congrats.
    Thats gonna itch when it dries.

Mar 2005
    Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
    53 times

nice! the MXT is a good machine. looks like you are off to a good start with it!
    GTI 2500/ACE 250

us
    Sep 2005
    Indiana
    Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
    429 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

very sweet/shinny finds!

HH
    -GC

us
    Feb 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Whites MXT
    424 times

You will love that machine man, it has treated me well. Congrats on the Barber

us
    JEDI

Oct 2007
    in the stix of NY
    Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
    836 times

My hunting partner uses an MXT and has incredible luck with it, just be prepared to dig deep!! theres been a few times I thought he would pull a chinaman out of one of his holes. Study the tones,
    dig a few iffies. I know with my whites when I get some dirt out of the hole it locks more clearly onto the target. good luck and keep em coming.
    Pro-

Sep 2005
    Puget Sound
    Equinox 800, Whites DFX
    12795 times

Fantastic man it looks like you had a really nice day

us
    Jan 2008
    Missouri
    1 times

Thanks a lot guys/gals for your comments. The place I am hunting is an old park from the early 1900's, but this place was settled 60 years before that, and there are rumors that there was a house there before the park...can't wait to get back at it!

Name:  th_thanks.gif
Views: 1366
Size:  253.0 KB

~Tom

Oct 2006
    Zelienople
    White's XLT
    1160 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Ah, the thrill of those older coins! Congrats on those milestones!
    A gentleman farmer named Floyd
    With some of his kin was annoyed
    The boys in their youth
    Did not know the truth
    And one of his tools was destroyed

us
    Jan 2008
    Missouri
    1 times

I cleaned up the IH a bit....thought you would like to see...

Name:	toms 005.jpg 
Views:	1287 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	204954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1895 IH clean F.jpg 
Views:	1251 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	204955

Name:	1895 IH back.jpg 
Views:	1233 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	204956Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1895 IH clean B.jpg 
Views:	1221 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	204957

Thanks for lookin'!

~Tom

Charter Member
    us
    Your Only One Swing Away From An Amazing Discovery

Dec 2006
    Florida
    Library
    125 times

Re: First 5 hours with MXT nets oldest coin! And, got a Barber! UPDATE with clean IH

great finds flyer

like the comment of going from a pinto to a caddy lol

sounds like you have some sweet places to go back over again
    Your Discovery Has History Count On It
    Enjoy the dig, treasure the time

us
    Feb 2005
    Three Rivers
    Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440, Equinox 600
    2284 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: First 5 hours with MXT nets oldest coin! And, got a Barber! UPDATE with clean IH

Nice finds,

That barber looks great. The mxt is a caddy compared to the BH. My brother had one for yrs. Then he moved up to a dfx. Great unit though for the money. Your gonna find alot more now. The mxt is very sensitive to tiny objects. I've seen it hit BB sized items with a good response.

HH Jer

Oct 2006
    146 times

Congrats on your MTX and all that silver and indian.Your Barber is in real nice shape

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links