First 5 hours with MXT nets oldest coin! Plus, got my first Barber Dime!!!

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
Hey all,
You may recall reading my post about having problems with my Bounty Hunter 505...the main problem being not finding any silver, and only diggin 3 or 4 coins deeper than 4 inches in four months. I KNEW there was silver down there, I just couldn't get to it with that BH. I did get a 1939 Washington Quarter at 8 to 10 inches, but it read as a penny until I had it out of the ground, and it was in loose rocks, not packed clay...
Anyway, I loved the BH, but I had to upgrade...to a White's MXT! This thing is a hot rod. She is a nickel slayin', silver seeking, gold diggin' son of a gun, and I am in love!!! The first 2 1/2 hours got me a silver Rosie at 7.5" measured (only my third silver, and my first dime past 3 1/2 inches), a necklace (junk) and $7.50 in clad (a chunk of which was nickels). The next 2 1/2 hours netted me an additional $4.20 in clad, the below 1951 Rosie (7" measured), and some more to be mentioned in the story below, but first the Rosies...
first2rosies.jpg

I found the '51 in a place I have been over with the BH three times, this time the dime was singing to me through those headphones...then, about 2 feet away, I got a slightly more faint sound, saying 1c-10c, pinpointing at 8". I said to myself "this has got to be that Merc...finally!"...it was right, I was wrong! Here she is, my first Barber...
toms 007.jpg
1st barber 1905.jpg

After that, I found out that it was hard to metal detect while staring at a coin, so I decided to go home and have a steak and a beer whilst staring at my Barber (coin that is...lol). I couldn't take it, so I finished the beer, grabbed my new MXT (carefully, gingerly) and went back to the park. Wasn't there 10 minutes, and I got a signal (screwcap to zinc penny, 6") that turned out to be my oldest coin to date! 1895!
toms 005.jpg
1895 IH back.jpg

Before this, my oldest coin was an 1899 IH (found my first day with the BH at four inches). Man I love those Indians, and now the Barbers too!!!
Thanks for lookin' and I hope you enjoyed the story/pics! And, thanks in advance for the comments!

~Tom

Upvote 0

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
AWESOME coins ~Tom :headbang: :hello2: :headbang:

I see your WAY happier with the MXT !

It is perfectly OK to barber stare :o

Congrats

Derek :icon_study: :icon_scratch: :icon_study: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
Thanks a lot guys, I can't wait to get back out! I might be buying a house tomorrow, but if I don't....I'M DETECTING!!!
Oh, and the house was built in the 30's! Just up the street from the oldest house from the 1800's! Same neighborhood as these finds. Girl got mad at me because I am seriously considering the house due to the age of the lawn and the "secret" room in the back (aka detector room)...lol :P

~Tom

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Job Tom!!!

I haven't been out much since getting back home, but my ONLY silver so far has been a 1899 Barber Dime...not near as nice as that one though!!!.......WTG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread