Comments on new legislation for relic hunting in KY?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cavers5 said:
Well, folks,

That's why, as a Kentucky archaeologist, I have problems with several of the other Kentucky archaeologists. There's a few that have absolutely no common sense and think they rule Kentucky!

I could really use some help in dealing with these people. Any kind of letters that you can write your legislators and/or if some of you would go with me to address some legislators, I would certainly appreciate it. These folks are INTENT on getting this passed as quickly as they can. They will keep trying until they can sneak it through. That's the kind of people they are.

Sincerely,
Cavers5

I shouldn't have to say this...but if you DO write to a legislator, please, please, PLEASE make sure you hit spell check! ;)

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
cavers was the only reply to my original post on this matter,write to your reps.!!!
and also write to the manufactures of our equipment,they need to be involved,
without us ,who are they??

Mark

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Now, Buckleboy, if I slip into my Hillbilly vernacular, you're not gonna worry your lil head off, are you? If those ol' legislators can't understand grammar from The Official Foxworthy's Redneck Dictionary, then they ain't from Kentucky!

Cavers5

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cavers5 said:
Now, Buckleboy, if I slip into my Hillbilly vernacular, you're not gonna worry your lil head off, are you? If those ol' legislators can't understand grammar from The Official Foxworthy's Redneck Dictionary, then they ain't from Kentucky!

Cavers5

Well I'll be danged! They might not be from Kentucky Seum's as how some of 'em were really from Indiana but pretendin to be from old Kaintuck. ;)

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
BB,

You are to be commended for your magnanimous attempt of Foxworthy's Dictionary. <Golf clap>

Yep, if some of them there archaeologists and legislators ain't from these parts, then they need to pack up and git right back to where they come from!

If they be furriners, then that ain't our kind and we can't trust'em! I learned that from my grandpa, I did!

By the way, did you know...that if all four tires on your truck... come out of the creek....then you might be a redneck!

Cavers5

OP
OP
epi-hunter

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
weldermark said:
cavers was the only reply to my original post on this matter,write to your reps.!!!
and also write to the manufactures of our equipment,they need to be involved,
without us ,who are they??
Mark

Hey weldermark, sorry if I re-posted... I looked back through the KY forum threads but must have missed this one.

In any event it's worth bringing up again. I'll help in any way I can. If this goes through I'm doomed...

Sorry I didn't come out to play sooner :) I'm an admin on another MD board and that sucks up most of my time. But the KY forum here is great.

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
yep I've been fighting this on my own as far as i know,when i first brought it up people thought i was goofy or something,and said little if anything,on another forum they said there wasn't anything to worry about,and that it shouldn't concern me.
my state rep said, and still dose that this is alive and well and will be brought to the floor in the next session,the only way to fight it ,is to speak out and get your state and local people involved.
this means everybody!!!!!

Mark

OP
OP
epi-hunter

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
weldermark said:
yep I've been fighting this on my own as far as i know,when i first brought it up people thought i was goofy or something,and said little if anything,on another forum they said there wasn't anything to worry about,and that it shouldn't concern me.
my state rep said, and still dose that this is alive and well and will be brought to the floor in the next session,the only way to fight it ,is to speak out and get your state and local people involved.
this means everybody!!!!!

Mark

I think you're right... these are stubborn people and if it doesn't go through as it is, they'll slip it through some disguised way.

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
that's right,they will do just that,i'm of the mind that we need to involve the industry ,without us who are they?
were the people that buy their detectors and equipment and keep them solvent
they need to watch are backs,they have the resources!!!!!!!!
we are there best intrest.

Mark

OP
OP
epi-hunter

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
weldermark said:
that's right,they will do just that,i'm of the mind that we need to involve the industry ,without us who are they?
were the people that buy their detectors and equipment and keep them solvent
they need to watch are backs,they have the resources!!!!!!!!
we are there best intrest.

Mark

I don't know if you could successfully involve the MD manufacturers at this point... maybe, though. I'm not sure how much of a threat this is in other states. I know it has been brought up in other states, but not passed. Maybe they don't think it's a real threat yet.

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
it's real and people are feeling the repercussions from it,some states now require a permit to MD,and places that were ok to hunt aren't now,so i'm of the mind and have been ,to right your rep.and tell them we don't want this kind of law forced on us because of a few people.
if your rep fights it when it has been brought up your chances of squashing it are better.

Mark

p.s. i lived in Iowa also!

OP
OP
epi-hunter

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
weldermark said:
it's real and people are feeling the repercussions from it,some states now require a permit to MD,and places that were ok to hunt aren't now,so i'm of the mind and have been ,to right your rep.and tell them we don't want this kind of law forced on us because of a few people.
if your rep fights it when it has been brought up your chances of squashing it are better.

Mark

p.s. i lived in Iowa also!

The archies are persistent...

You're kidding... where in Iowa did you live?

OP
OP
epi-hunter

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
weldermark said:
the archies are the main problem,i lived in pacific junction

Mark

Wrong end of the state from me (Iowa City). Nice gold coin, by the way. Still waiting for mine...

Have you gotten any other support from MDers from KY regarding this bill? I would think there would be an outcry... I have seen a lot more people MDing here than I ever did in Iowa.

OP
OP
epi-hunter

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
weldermark said:
nobody seems overly concerned with the matter.

Mark

Combination of apathy and lack of knowledge that it even exists, probably.

I'll check into writing some letters. Keep me posted...

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Please keep me posted as well. My health isn't up to par at the moment, so I can't stay on top of things as I would like.

Cavers5

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
You are far from the only one fighting it. Or should I say fought it. This bill was fought by many. It was fought by detectorists. I corresponded with a number of TH'ers in KY. The KY Home Builders Assoc. and even many in the archaeology circles were speaking out against it. The sponsor of the bill (Meeks) was getting so much flack that he went on a voter opinion website to try to defend his position.

This was the third time they tried to slip this thru. The word that I got from ASAA, American Society for Amateur Archaeology, is that the sponsor wants to talk a compromise as he knows it will never go thru like it is. I can tell you that any compromise will be non negotiable unless all reference to private property is removed. As that is the whole premise of the bill I don't see it happening.

They may try to resubmit it in some other form in a future session. There are many watching for it and they will be in for a bigger fight as more people are finding out about it. It does not just effect us. It effects every property owner in the state.

For a run down of this whole fiasco read the legislative column in Western & Eastern magazine November issue.

Mark S.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Hi,

I'd like to say, "Thank you!" for all the hard work you've done so far. I did not realize so many other people were also against it and doing their fair share and more.

For a short while, I was privy to some info concerning the bill. I've had to "semi-quit" for awhile due to health reasons. Although Meeks might have put the bill forward, check his supporters. There were a few other archaeologists who also had a hand in this and they wanted to keep a low profile so they would not have to deal with the flack. That's their style. Push others to do the dirty work for them.

If anyone would like to PM me, I've been on both sides of the fence and might can help with names and backgrounds.

Sincerely,
Cavers5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread