Comments on new legislation for relic hunting in KY?

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Ok so now I am am a bit weary. I live in Somerset and I just bought 3 MDr for the family. Are city parks and schools still ok?

ian

ps I will join in if you are starting a letter campian

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Ian, my hunch is that this would, even though supposedly extending as far down as "private property", apply only to state lands. Like, some of the supposed narrow restrictive laws you read about in various European countries (that lead you to believe England is the only detector friendly country), when you read closely, apply only to state/fed owned land, not a farmer's private property, individual cities, etc.....

And, heck, even if it some day passes, and applies at the county and city level, you're just "looking for your boyscout ring that you lost here when you were a kid", right? ;D 8)

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
This bill did not just "supposedly extend" to private property, it specifically targeted private property. That was the sole intent of it.

I will add again that this bill is dead. It did not make it to a vote. Least not this year. Or should I say "last year". We will watch to see if it surfaces in some form in 2008.

Mark S.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Please keep us informed. It's imperative that we keep a watch on this!

Thanks again,
Cavers5

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the sad thing is its like a hydra -- cut its head off this year and it just grows another one (they try to pass law like this thru thru again and agian year after year till they win )-- thus its the state archies and politico's working as a team try to wear you out --- they only need to for it to "pass" once for them to win --whereas we must stop them each and every time. ---its like setting down to play poker with a rigged deck (archies) and a crooked dealer (politicans) to boot. these folks mistreat normal decent folks like this day in and day out year after year and then have the gall to wonder why folks go "outlaw" and why folks don't like, trust or respect them ..

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Cavers5 , funny thing I like honest archies that understand that "normal" everyday folks like history too , a smart archie could use metal detectorist to help find stuff, most of us would love to take part in a dig if invited to, for the most part even taking a photo of us with a "cool find" is great , even if we could not get to keep what we "found" just a photo of us with a "special" find" is cool to us --- mainly we enjoy the hunt , finding old stuff gives us a "kick" , (now I freely admit that there are some are "hard core" types who if they can not "keep" it for their "private collections "or to "sell" want nothing to do with for digging for anything --- for the most part their about the $$$$ or "bragging rights" see MY valuible collection ------ but generally most diggers are not the "hard core" types) ---

Most decent dectectorist know that the proper place for rare one of kind items of great historical value is a measeum type setting where it can be seen by the public and properly taken care of --- however not every fart'n thing in the ground over 50 years old / worth more than $50 bucks needs or deserves to be in a measum --- these draconain laws if used under a "tight" reading --- it would legally limit metal detectorist to coins 1958 and after--- thus under a "tight" reading most silvers coins ( 90% silver coins that were made in 1957 and before would be off limits --- so only 1958 to 1964 silver coins would be legal to recover by the 50 year rule --- the only wheat cent you could legally find would be a 1958 wheat cent -- (this year only) and in 2009 it would be illegal to find and take a wheat cent --- talk about a stupid law ---) oh yah since a gold coin of any type is worth over $50 bucks its illegal ---and since any decent jewelry find would be worth more than $50 bucks thats illegal too ---- so basically any decent find would be illegal --- so you can find 1958 and after coins (mostly modern clad) and junk jewelry worth under $50 in value ---oh yah yippee (think about it does this law seem right or fair in anyway to a metal detectorist ?) for folks to respect and obey laws they need to make sense to them and seem to be fair and honest and needed -- this one simpily put doesn't seem to be right or fair or needed the way its written and can be easily abused by enforcement folks to "rail road" a other wise normal law abiding person ---- its stupid laws like this that turn simple normal folks into "outlaws" and thus make them lose respect, fear , dislike and not want to work with archie type folks sadly. -- that said for the most part I like and respect archie type folks for their knowledge and love of the past but only those who traet me with respect and treat me fairly. --- Ivan

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
I've met some that I have absolutely no respect for.

I also know some of the ones wanting to push this bill.

Yep, they're the ones that I don't have any respect for!

Cavers5

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
any archie that would back a bill like this one --is a sorry good for nothing eliteist jerk in my veiw and not worthy of respect by either his peers or the public whom he is supposedly "serves" and who's salary the public at large pays --- since he treats "we the people" with such utter "contempt" -- Ivan

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
Seems like we as Americans are losing more and more of our freedoms everyday. So they are trying to say we can't dig on private property? What exactly is "private property" then? Things like this tick me off so bad to think so many people died and ARE dying for this country that we call "free". Well laws like this is what's sucking the freedom out of us and something needs to be done. If something is'nt done it's only a matter of time until we are no longer aloud to walk plowed fields looking for arrowheads!

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
well you have to look at this meeks dude,i believe in his case it's all about the money,if memory serves me right he has had dirty dealings in the past ,right along with his family.
this dude is the one who passed the lizard law !!! if i'm not mistaken!! yes thats right,put them on a leash,and there not allowed in down town louisville!?!?!?!
WHAT!!!!!!! yep it's money. and he's no good,"my opinion". research him and
make an informed decision,and talk /email/call,your representative,and tell them to stop this junk,that fool is being paid off!!! i'll betcha!

mark

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
I like the "boyscout ring" idea because I just spoke to a local police officer and asked him about schools and parks in somerset and you would have thought I had asked him if I could hide a body out there. Schools are criminal trespassing and parks he said they arrest for vandilization when you dig a hole. It really sucks here. I think I am going to move down to crackbadgers neck of the woods.

Ian

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
unless it's private property and you don't have permission, or state property where none of us has permission,your free to detect.tell the civil servant to step off!!

mark

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
Well Mark I have no problem telling the man to take a hike but are saying it IS legal and they are just being a pain in the butt or are you just saying tell johnny law to stick it and damn the result. If it is legal in KY where do i find that written down so I can keep it with me?

Ian

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
don't ask the police, ask the parks department,i don't see how it would be any differant for me then you,in this state, and if it is you need to contact your representative and get it taken care of,do not back down! my rep told me that there are no laws currently in this state and that he would fight them when they come up,i email him every time i hear of something that's screwed up,and that's what we all need to do.

mark

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
I will cantact the park department tommarrow and see what happens. I will also call my rep.

Ian

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
just do it,sounds Nike right.for real do that and if your stuck,let us know,we all have to go after this as one,it's voting season coming up and you have to play your hand,if your reps in your area don't agree with you let them know your vote will go to someone more deserving...this is how we operate.

Mark

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
Where are you at in KY? I will get on that and see what I can produce. I would think the reservation would be the digging on there land not the act of detecting but we will soon see.

Ian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread