County Parks Here Prohibit MD ! - NOWHERE to MD :(

Tracker IV

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2007
I was just told by the County Park Director (Howard County, Maryland) that I cannot
use an MD in "their" parks. The state parks in Maryland don't allow it and I just got
this MD and am dying to get out there and try it out - but nowhere to go except
to get private homeowner permission. Anyone else have this problem of NO part
of your government allowing you to MD?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I can give, as an example, my own county ("Monterey County" CA). At present, as far as any of us local hobbyists know, there are no restrictions in the county run parks. That is to say: If we go there and detect, in full view of anyone and everyone, no one bothers you. But on the other hand, if I were to walk into some bureaucrat's office accross town, with a shovel in my hand, what do you think his/her answer would be?

Although I am a proponent of not-asking (as if something was inherently wrong with you, or your hobby, to begin with, that you had to "ask"), my advice for those who feel compelled to ask (and risk a potential "no", when in fact, no one would have noticed or minded), is to seek to find out if there are any specific prohibitions in the code. Check in the books yourself, without asking someone in person, and risking that they'll just dream up something they "think" applies (like "don't disturb the vegetation"). If the county's rules were available on-line somewhere, with a word-search function, you can do it that way (key word "metal detector", for instance). If there are no specific rules prohibiting it (Ie.: silent on the matter), then I would assume that you can do it. As long as you're not being a nuisance, making a mess, etc....

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Hey, Tracker IV...welcome to the dubious club of Northeastern United States metal detecting....which is quite different from Southwestern United States,. As with you, I'm over here in Virginia, just outside of DC. As most of us on this side of the United States will tell you, the laws are there...and they enforce them. If you get caught violating them, you pay the penalty.

A lof of TNET members have gone to posting on Craig's List and have gotten some very good responses from people that will allow you to MD on their land. Otherwise, the ocean is your next avenue of discovery.

BTW, if you are ever inclined to follow the advice of those who suggest MDng w/o asking for permission, pls check out the following:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,118200.0.html

Since we are close to where this happened, you might have already heard about it.
--Mel

borninok

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
borninok said:
Hey, Tracker IV...welcome to the dubious club of Northeastern United States metal detecting....which is quite different from Southwestern United States,. As with you, I'm over here in Virginia, just outside of DC. As most of us on this side of the United States will tell you, the laws are there...and they enforce them. If you get caught violating them, you pay the penalty.

A lof of TNET members have gone to posting on Craig's List and have gotten some very good responses from people that will allow you to MD on their land. Otherwise, the ocean is your next avenue of discovery.

BTW, if you are ever inclined to follow the advice of those who suggest MDng w/o asking for permission, pls check out the following:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,118200.0.html

Since we are close to where this happened, you might have already heard about it.
--Mel

borninok
Exactly, This aint California over here.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Uhh, borninok, I am so sorry, but as you know, people on forums try to avoid lengthy text - with infinate contingencies. I was in no way implying that all public land is open to metal detecting, simply because it's public. Usually, when I post this stance, I clarify with the following: " .... barring obvious historical monument type sites". In other words, do you see a difference between the site listed in your link (a federal historic CW battlefield), and any-town USA park's sandbox? Sorry I was not more longwinded, but I figured it would go without saying, that places like Shiloh, Ghettysburg, Bodie, and the white house lawn are not fair game. Sheesk.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Tom, around the Eastern side of U.S.A., they go for the throat on anything....school grounds, tot lots, county park soccer fields, etc. You and I have talked at length about this topic. Now, the further away from DC...let's say in the Winchester, VA area...which is rich in Civil War history also...they don't care about school grounds, tot lots, county park soccer fields...Digginman can attest to that. Unfortunately, it's just the way of things...and politics. Believe it or not, one can own land bordering Manassas Battlefield, and still can't metal detect on your own land. Yet, strip malls and thousands of townhouses can be built on that very same land. Go figure.

Hope this explains my previous posting.
--Mel

borninok

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I have been told in my area that there is no MDing in any of my county parks. State parks are OK, but still have to get permission.

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
Of course there is a way to change things.
Elect new faces to represent you.
Check your local Libertarian party and your local Constitution party.
Change the politician and regain your freedom.
And spread the word.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread