Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stories, Jeff. I am wondering how many treasure hunters search for this treasure.

burghwear

May 27, 2014
White Oak and North Huntingdon area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT/ Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clipping From unknown 1885 newspaper.
=========================
FINDING TREASURE TROVE
Three-quarters of a million in gold unearthed at Braddocks.
Special Despatch to the Press

PITTSBURG, jan, 12 - A report reached the city late to-night that, while digging a cellar at Braddocks, which is located on the site of the battle-field, on which General Braddock, lost his life, P. J. Hartnett discovered an Immense iron chest. a wagon was procured and the box taken to the National Bank building. after considerable effort; the box was opend. it was litterly jammed with gold.
the bank officials estimate the contents at $750,000.00 . on top of the gold was the following, some of the letters have faded.

" Att c d Indians, Must h? gold. Army not p? d? we must all p r sh.
signed)? ? ? ? ? Brad? ?k."

Telegraph communications with Braddock's is cut off for the night, and whether this story is true or false cannot be assertained? to-night.

==================================

IF story was True An old Treasure Legend People Have Looked for, For Years, Is HISTORY now.

Anyone Still Searching, May Want to Check Newspaper Archives for Follow-ups.

This Newspaper article is definitely false. First the gold was only in the amount of $40,000 and was stored in 2 Brass cannon barrels. And to completely prove its falsehood. In 1755 the telegraph was not even invented yet. This was invented in 1832 by Samuel Morse. But , The non-electric telegraph was invented by Claude Chappe in 1794. This system was visual and used semaphore, a flag-based alphabet, and depended on a line of sight for communication. The optical telegraph was replaced by the electric telegraph. Also Braddock was mortally wounded while being under attack. I highly doubt if anything stated in this article could have possibly happened.

I have also done some detecting in some suspected locations that I have researched. And have come up with some artifacts that could possibly indicate some sort of locations for 2 different encampments.

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Newspaper article is definitely false. First the gold was only in the amount of $40,000 and was stored in 2 Brass cannon barrels. And to completely prove its falsehood. In 1755 the telegraph was not even invented yet. This was invented in 1832 by Samuel Morse.

lol, don't worry you're not the first person in this thread to be fooled by this. the treasure was "found" and the telegraph message sent in 1885.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Newspaper article is definitely false. First the gold was only in the amount of $40,000 and was stored in 2 Brass cannon barrels.

And to completely prove its falsehood. In 1755 the telegraph was not even invented yet. This was invented in 1832 by Samuel Morse. But , The non-electric telegraph was invented by Claude Chappe in 1794. This system was visual and used semaphore, a flag-based alphabet, and depended on a line of sight for communication. The optical telegraph was replaced by the electric telegraph. Also Braddock was mortally wounded while being under attack. I highly doubt if anything stated in this article could have possibly happened.

I have also done some detecting in some suspected locations that I have researched. And have come up with some artifacts that could possibly indicate some sort of locations for 2 different encampments.

Clipping From unknown 1885 newspaper.
=========================
FINDING TREASURE TROVE
Three-quarters of a million in gold unearthed at Braddocks.
Special Dispatch to the Press

PITTSBURG, jan, 12 - A report reached the city late to-night that, while digging a cellar at Braddocks, which is located on the site of the battle-field, on which General Braddock, lost his life, P. J. Hartnett discovered an Immense iron chest. a wagon was procured and the box taken to the National Bank building. after considerable effort; the box was opened. it was litterally jammed with gold.
the bank officials estimate the contents at $750,000.00 . on top of the gold was the following, some of the letters have faded.

" Att c d Indians, Must h? gold. Army not p? d? we must all p r sh.
signed)? ? ? ? ? Brad? ?k."

Telegraph communications with Braddock's is cut off for the night, and whether this story is true or false cannot be ascertained? to-night.

.$40,000 in 1755 could have been worth $750,000.00 in 1885, or at least Hastily estimated so.
what would the newspaper say the $40'000 in gold is worth if dug today ?
especially if Printing the days news has already started ?

Million ? 10 Million ? Priceless ?

:tongue3: Was their Video Footage of it being put in Cannon ? :tongue3:
could it have been in a Chest on a Wagon ? I think possible.
doubtful, But possible.

This is the most questionable part of the article though,
besides the followups that don't seem to exist.
a story like this should have made Big headlines..

yes
the telegraph was invented by 1885

Telegraph communications with Braddock's is cut off for the night, and whether this story is true or false cannot be ascertained? to-night.

is referring to communications with Braddock's in 1885 Not Braddock
in 1755 so also possible.

could have been by a Wanna Be reporter
trying to make a name for himself,

or slow news day.

Or real :dontknow:

is hard to say though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unrelated. But found while researching

AMERICAN JOURNAL OF NUMISMATICS, AND Bulletin of American Numismatic and Archaeological Societies. VOL. XI. BOSTON, JULY, 1876. No. i.

MASONIC MEDALS.

XIV. In grading a road near Pittsburgh, Pa, some years ago, on the field of General Braddock's defeat in 1766, the workmen reduced a small mound, which proved to contain the remains of various bodies, victims of that melancholy slaughter. Among them was found an oval Medal, about two and three-quarters by two inches, and in fair preservation. The obverse has the All-seeing eye above an arch of eleven blocks, the keystone having the Royal Arch cypher ; from this stone hangs the letter G, surrounded by rays ; over the arch, on the left is the sun, and on the right the moon ; on the platform beneath is an altar with seven steps ; on one side of the pillars that support the arch is a pot of incense, on the other a dagger, and branches of acacia on each side. The exergue is left blank for the owner's name to be engraved. The reverse has the two pillars ; over that upon the right the sun, and over the other the moon, and the All-seeing eye at the upper edge of the Medal. Between the pillars are the Bible, on which rests the square and compass, between three burning tapers ; on the right a level and sprig of acacia, on the left a beehive and ladder of three steps. In lower foreground a coffin and anchor. The Medal is of copper, heavily plated with silver. It probably belonged to one of the soldiers in Braddock's Expedition, and is now in the possession of Dr. Alfred Creigh, of Washington, Penn., to whom we are indebted for a drawing of the Medal.

Full text of "American journal of numismatics"

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
I have been trying to confirm where the story of the 2 brass cannons originated. I personally think that story makes the most sense and that Braddock's lost gold is still out there, waiting to be found. In fact, I have two areas of interest that I need to check out after I receive permission to search private property.

Mjw38

Aug 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to find that treasure!!

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love to find that treasure!!

Hi all from a newbie to the site and this is post 1 for me. I do not have a MD at this time, but I have been considering a Safari. Maybe you guys can recommend places to buy as from what I've seen prices are locked from one place to another.

Anyway, the thread here is very interesting to me and I have also followed some of the history of this, but it would be very difficult to come up with anything of the time period due to the many houses and buildings. For the record, I can walk to the area in less than a half hour. They have since put a museum in the area for Braddock's defeat and it is approximately at the location of the farthest reach by Braddock's troops. I haven't been to it as the area is very run down and there's only a few days one can even go in there along with a certain slot of hours, but I'm sure they would be able to say more info than I know. From what my father had told me the worst part of the slaughter happened near where Scott High School once stood.

There are other twists to this as the area Braddock crossed onto the northern banks of the Mon river may be farther along due to a rerouting of Turtle Creek further south of its original mouth to the Mon. The entire area is built up with only small slivers of possible areas to look that haven't been bull dozed or built on. If any had detected in the area, as you guys had indicated that you wanted to, please let me know where you went and if you found anything as I'd be interested to give my 2 cents even if I don't have a MD yet.

Of note, there was also a town that existed before Carnegie's steel mill and it was on the other side of the mouth of Turtle Creek. This is now partially the steel mill and the new mouth cut into the middle of town with all demolished to also make way for the railroads as well as the steel mill in that area. That town was called Port Perry and it would be great to get permission from the railroad to explore the fringes of where the town once stood where the railroads currently are. The steel mill is off limits.

PS-Sorry for bringing up such and old thread.

Last edited:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swaveab,

French and Indian war relics are hard to come by these days.... there have been a lot of us searching for them for a lot of years. But with a bit of persistence and research you can still find some spots containing nice artifacts... hopefully you can find a nice hot spot full of relics. :)

As for your new detector, I think I know someone who can help you with that... we are just to the west of you in Bedford County. :)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just re-read your 10 year old thread Jeff...

I heard the creaking thread door and just had to look. :P

Still a cool thread.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Fort Bedford Detectors,
Yes, it certainly would be a long shot finding anything around here and I'm sure some probably already did try in some spots.

As to buying a detector from you, it would not be advantageous for me to pay sales taxes to this commonwealth just to support your business as I can get the detector at the same price out of state with little for shipping + a few freebee accessories thrown in. Nothing personal, but that's business.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do understand the 6% to the Governor part... being PA residents we must deal with it. But give us a chance, you might be surprised at what we can do. :)

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm glad you understand and if you had a deal for me you should've contacted me by pm, but as it is I had already committed to somebody else. It may take awhile to get to me as I do things more common to the last century as it is either cash or check.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread