BRADDOCKS TREASURE UNEARTHED

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
There's a very good chance Braddocks' treasure was found alright! By the French Army after the battle. Even had it been buried, the indians found it according to a french soldier who was at the battle and stated so in his journal. The indians saw no value in the coins and were tossing them right and left on the ground. ----------- The french commander at Ft. Duquesne was said to grab money at every chance for his own pockets. And likely he ended up with most of if not all of Braddocks money.-----------If so there's a good chance that it is part of the French Treasure buried in Carrol Co. Ohio That was said to be 16 pack loads out of Ft. Duquesne buried in 1758

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
Braddock PA. Site of the First Carnegie Library, and the first Carnegie Steel mill. The Edgar Thompson works of US Steel is presently on the site of the original Carnegie Steel mill. I remember the the town well, being Pastor of St. Paul's Lutheran church back in the early 80's. The church was right across the street from the Edgar Thompson Mill. The Church had a pipe organ that had been donated by Andrew Carnegie way back in time. Under the church sanctuary, in a crawl space with a dirt floor, was an old stone lined well. The church had found it when there was minor flooding and dug it out, but only found some bottles and other junk and it was then filled back in. This had happened many years before I was Pastor there, and I always wondered about detecting down there but never got around to it. I would guess that the floor of the crawl space was at original ground level, but now it is three or so feet below street level. After all those years of steel making, I would guess you would need a detector that could really read past all the "iron" contamination.

D

DigginDiva

I realize this is a very old post, but since I am new to the forum and live in SW PA, I find it fascinating.

Any updates?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
I would be interested to hear too. I don't live in PA anymore but this one always was fascinating.
Oroblanco

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oroblanco l
I would be interested to hear too. I don't live in PA anymore but this one always was fascinating.
Oroblanco
~~~~~
HOLA MI AMIGO, I am curious, I "vaguely" remember that the term "telegraph " referred to other means of cummunication prior to elctricity. The Heliograph, flags, smoke , and even sounds? sigh, no matter, you do an excellent job on research.

Till Eulenspiegle

p.s. Yes, I agree, Helio means Sun/Light, and many reporters. as in today, do not get the facts correct or inject their present technologie's vocabulary into the report.

Albert Osborn

Dec 6, 2004
I don't know how many caches Braddock made, but
I know the location of one that has not been retrieved.
This is in the area of interest.

HOWSO IS MY NAME AND DOWSING IS MY GAME

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
For Today only(Tuesday) Braddocks Treasure was on losttreasure.com daily lost treasure tales. Well researched with many theories about what happened to the gold. Jeff Davis is correct- the amount- $25000 at the time. So I believe the incredible amount mentioned in the article makes the claim of found treasure questionable. What was the value of gold at the time(1885) $21/ounce. Do some math. Let's see $750000.00 at $21/ounce(Troy). That would be 35714 troy ounces. Convert to regular ounces and then pounds = 2,448 lbs of gold in that chest. The incredible Hulk could not lift that. Can one put that amount in one trunk? . Yeah sure the British Army always carried at least a ton of gold to pay it's troops when it went into the field to fight it's enemies.

No mention about the gold ever being found by the Indians or the French in the article.
http://www.losttreasure.com/Tale/Tale1152+.cfm

As the battle was a French ambush which completely surprised the British- it is doubtfull much was buried before the battle.

George

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Some time in the late 70's, Lost Treasure had a story about this lost payroll. Their version was that three men were assigned to take the gold (correct. between 15,000 and 25,000) in a wagon and get out of the area. They buried the gold and then two were killed. The third LOST HIS MEMORY!!(emphasis mine) The son of the survivor had been alive until well into the 1800's and had searched for the gold but to no avail. I agree that the 750 thousand figure just doesn't make sense.Converted into today's values and then added in the numismatic (sp?) value of the coins, maybe that huge figure would fit now.
Oh, well. Whether it was found or not, that area would still be a fine place to swing a coil. If we could get permission!

grizzly bare

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff davis said:
The French Commander (I forgot his name) Linguis, or something

Ligneris ?

Legonier ?

L

Lcplthogersen

Wow great forum you all seem like pretty interesting people. I would love to go huntin with some of you when I get back from Iraq.

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
Lcplthogersen said:
Wow great forum you all seem like pretty interesting people. I would love to go huntin with some of you when I get back from Iraq.

THANK YOU for being there.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
jeff davis,
Help me out here amigo. I am really tired and getting confused. Is this Braddock's gold or Cornwallis' gold?

grizzly bare

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey guys, I live in Pittsburgh P.a. I have always been interested in the battle of braddock. The area is only a 20 minute drive from where I live.

People who know me on here know I am a serious treasure hunter. The area were the battle took place is so built up with houses it makes it hard to detect the area.

Alot of really old houses and churches in the area. If you could hunt some yards you could probably find some buttons and such.

Kenny wood park is built on the hillside above the battle area. They were all through this area. I doubt your gonna get permission to hunt the park. Someone who owns it probably already hunted it.

Another area is duquene with a rich history. Both area's you would need to be in a group and have a few .45's with you. Really ruff neighborhoods.

I have an idea though of some lands that they have been through. Through reading and researching they crossed certain points on the river.

I would like to hunt in the area but would like to hunt with atleast 3 guys. It's a really poor area. Knocking on doors and asking to hunt yards could happen. Maybe offer the home owner a 20.00 to hunt it.

But find a big and good yard near the battle field. I do recall a find made in pittsburgh p.a that made W&E best finds. Maybe 10 yrs ago a medal was found from the battle. It was found on a old farm near the battle area. It was made of silver and dated to the 1700's.

A guy at the local historical society has told me some things about the area and what the finds like buttons and such would look like. They also wanted to buy them from me if I could find them.

Maybe at some point I'll get to the hunt the area's. Well see I guess. Any one up for a group hunt in the area.

HH Jeremy

fng68

Nov 5, 2004
Beaver County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, X-Terra 70,Tiger Shark,Garrett CWIII,Ace 250
Hello JerDfx et al,

Please forgive me for jumping in to your conversation.

I was born in Duquesne,still own property there. I'll be happy to tag along.

Still know all the principles there (chief,mayor,etc.)

Actually a friend (retired Duquesne policeman) is still there and loves his White Detector.

I know he has never hunted this particular target.But I am sure he'd be up for it.

I don't live there anymore but, any way I can help, please let me know.

An interesting story, I just now remembered:

My one aunts' dad (who lived around a mile from Kennywood) was from the old school.

He never believed in banks, a very frugal fellow .

Well it seemed he always buried his money, he would disappear and return around 5 min. later.

He had a stroke and could never communicate where the money was at.

My aunt's family searched and searched but found nothing.

This was 40 + years ago. the property remains basically the same, but with new owners.

But the surrounding "hollow" has not changed and is fair game.

Maybe a deal could be reached with a current owners.

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
JerDfx said:
Hey guys, I live in Pittsburgh P.a. I have always been interested in the battle of braddock. The area is only a 20 minute drive from where I live.

People who know me on here know I am a serious treasure hunter. The area were the battle took place is so built up with houses it makes it hard to detect the area.

Alot of really old houses and churches in the area. If you could hunt some yards you could probably find some buttons and such.

Kenny wood park is built on the hillside above the battle area. They were all through this area. I doubt your gonna get permission to hunt the park. Someone who owns it probably already hunted it.

Another area is duquene with a rich history. Both area's you would need to be in a group and have a few .45's with you. Really ruff neighborhoods.

I have an idea though of some lands that they have been through. Through reading and researching they crossed certain points on the river.

I would like to hunt in the area but would like to hunt with atleast 3 guys. It's a really poor area. Knocking on doors and asking to hunt yards could happen. Maybe offer the home owner a 20.00 to hunt it.

But find a big and good yard near the battle field. I do recall a find made in pittsburgh p.a that made W&E best finds. Maybe 10 yrs ago a medal was found from the battle. It was found on a old farm near the battle area. It was made of silver and dated to the 1700's.

A guy at the local historical society has told me some things about the area and what the finds like buttons and such would look like. They also wanted to buy them from me if I could find them.

Maybe at some point I'll get to the hunt the area's. Well see I guess. Any one up for a group hunt in the area.

HH Jeremy
Hey, Jer! Would take you up on the offer- I'm just down the river. Now that the Mon-Fayette Expressway has taken out a lot of the houses on the edge of Duquesne, it might be possible to search before they start building...
Also, at the rate they're tearing down Main St in Braddock, good searching territories might be available soon.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Yeah,

I would still like to do some hunting in the area. Me and a buddy and my brother have talked about in the fall doing some searching around that town. Still haven't got to it yet. I have spent a good ammount of time trying to figure out where some area's would be good to search. I got some ideas that may hold some relics.

Maybe a few of us at some point will get together and head down there to see if we could find anything. With all of our ideas we might be able to track down a good site. Anyone still interested in meeting up one weekend. 4 Wheel drive truck or car would be ideal. I would think just the river banks and other nearby woods would be a good place to start.

Jeremy

ChrisPA

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2007
4.0 miles outside of downtown Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 202
I'm IN,
I live in the West Homestead area, and studied alot about this area there is a Kane hospital on the bank near the river where the Yough is. And according to Google earth its a straight shot to Circleville so they could have indeed mis calculated what river they were actually at. The only suggestion i have is if we search Duquesene it would have to be in the middle ofthe day. The railroad has tracks on both sides of the river but there is a new bicycle trail that leads into the old mill area in McKeesport by the Duquesene McKeesport Bridge. I also know where they cleared houses in Duq. for the Expressway is owned by the County of Allegheny. They let a church use the property for parking it is an open tall grass and weeds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread