Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    pippinwhitepaws

Re: Roslyn pictures

fantastic photographs. thank you for posting them.

May 2006
    89 times

If you read the earlier posting you would see that this stone has been placed in the crypt in the last few years for safe keeping. It is supposed to have come originally from a graveyard, whjere it would certainly be more in keeping.
    There is no point discussing catholic imagery in relation to the stone, it dates from the 17th century when Scotland was resolutely Protestant; you have to consider it in the light of Episcopalian or Calvinist symbolism.
    The depiction of the triumph of death is not at all uncommon, in both Catholic and Protestant countries.

Smithbrown

Jun 2007
    1383 times

WOW! What an INTERESTING thread! KING OF TERROR in a chapel... HA! FEAR of DEATH was apparent to the K.T. & EVERYONE; PROBABLY a VERY hard "life", then... people not living a LONG time, etc. The wars, VIOLENCE; so... why not show in a CHAPEL, that LIFE is MORE than the "physical" being? Upon "death" of the "physical" body, the "SPIRIT" moves on, which is a Pagan/Christian/Catholic belief... THEN, and NOW! The "corn" is indeed a "symbol" of fertility/prosperity; as in the corn/wine "blessing" in the HOLY BIBLE. BLESSING the NORTHWEST (or NORTHEAST) corner of new buildings, which the StoneMasons/Masons PROBABLY did. then. Even Bro. George Washinton used the Corn/Oil, etc. "blessing" of some building in Washington, DC (White House?) in Masonic regalia/rituals, etc. SO! Sounds like a "pagan" influence in stone, as a way to "show" people, who "could not" read nor write, then... certain SECRETS! MAY NOT mean, there was corn in Scotland, or Columbus (MAY have been K.T.) brought back CORN from his "trips" to America.

Aug 2004
    10 times

Dear group;
    Maybe the *maize* carvings were carved in the 16th-17th centuries timeline?
    Your friend;
    LAMAR

May 2006
    89 times

No, the corn is in the main late medieval period build (although there was a big 19th century restoration). They are round one of the medieval windows.
    Smithbrown

Charter Member

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    1029 times

All,

Just to be clear, is it the general consensus that the carvings at Roslyn depict this?:

Joe

[attachment deleted by admin]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Charter Member

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    1029 times

Smithbrown,

"If you read the earlier posting you would see that this stone has been placed in the crypt in the last few years for safe keeping. It is supposed to have come originally from a graveyard, whjere it would certainly be more in keeping."

I believe I did read the earlier posts, but must confess I missed almost all of the above information. Looking back, I am still not finding it. Getting old, so anything is possible.

Take care,

Joe

May 2006
    89 times

It was in one of the links; close to the beginning, possibly in one of the other strands.
    This link has some information from the botanists who looked at the plants; It also stressed the amount of 19th century restoration:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religi...chapel_1.shtml
    None of us are getting any younger and this is quite a hard topic to follow, particularly if you try and screen out the insults/banter which seem to go with it.
    Smithbrown

Charter Member

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    1029 times

All,

My personal opinion on the "corn" carvings, are that they are actually tulips. There are any number of fancy scroll work in the stone walls.... etc., that are not pictures of anything.

I have never seen barrel shaped corn. It should have some taper to it.

If I wanted to make a mystery of it, I suppose I would call it corn, no matter when corn arrived in Europe.

Joe

Kentucky Kache

Quote Originally Posted by lamar
    Dear group;
    Maybe the *maize* carvings were carved in the 16th-17th centuries timeline?
    Your friend;
    LAMAR
    You mean you don't know. You gotta know these things if you're gonna be the man who shoots down wrong ideas.

May 2006
    89 times

Cactus, I think you are right; it is an awful little thing to hang a whole theory on.
    I found this picture of the Chapel taken about 1845; it was ratehr more open to the elements than I realized.
    http://www.geh.org/fm/hill/htmlsrc/m...tml#topofimage

Smithbrown

Aug 2004
    10 times

Dear cactusjumper;
    Honestly, my first impression was that they were a type of tulip also, when I first saw the carving. A fancy artists' rendition of tuplips, anyway. Corn, nawwwwwwwwwww. It's just too far of a stretch for the carving to be ears of corn, however it is highly debatable what the carving represents, exactly.
    Your friend;
    LAMAR

Charter Member

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    1029 times

Smithbrown,

Nice picture. There are so many carvings on that chapel.....which are of nothing in particular, that you could probably find just about anything......with a good imagination.
    For instance, what would you say the design around that archway is?

Take care,

Joe

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roslyn Chapel 1845 2.jpg 
Views:	805 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	277636  

Charter Member

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    1029 times

Dear Lamar,

Tulips were my very first thought as well, but I was too embarrased to admit it.

As Smithbrown said, it's pretty hard to build a case around that kind of "evidence".

Take care,

Joe

Charter Member

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    1029 times

All,

Just for fun, here are two pictures of Medieval Scottish stone carving:

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frontview.jpg 
Views:	806 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	277647   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reverseview.jpg 
Views:	809 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	277648  

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsors