• corn.jpg
    corn.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 850

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Smithbrown,

"If you read the earlier posting you would see that this stone has been placed in the crypt in the last few years for safe keeping. It is supposed to have come originally from a graveyard, whjere it would certainly be more in keeping."

I believe I did read the earlier posts, but must confess I missed almost all of the above information. Looking back, I am still not finding it. Getting old, so anything is possible.

Take care,

Joe

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
It was in one of the links; close to the beginning, possibly in one of the other strands.
This link has some information from the botanists who looked at the plants; It also stressed the amount of 19th century restoration:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/places/rosslynchapel_1.shtml
None of us are getting any younger and this is quite a hard topic to follow, particularly if you try and screen out the insults/banter which seem to go with it.
Smithbrown

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
All,

My personal opinion on the "corn" carvings, are that they are actually tulips. There are any number of fancy scroll work in the stone walls.... etc., that are not pictures of anything.

I have never seen barrel shaped corn. It should have some taper to it.

If I wanted to make a mystery of it, I suppose I would call it corn, no matter when corn arrived in Europe.

Joe

K

Kentucky Kache

lamar said:
Dear group;
Maybe the *maize* carvings were carved in the 16th-17th centuries timeline?
Your friend;
LAMAR

You mean you don't know. You gotta know these things if you're gonna be the man who shoots down wrong ideas.

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear cactusjumper;
Honestly, my first impression was that they were a type of tulip also, when I first saw the carving. A fancy artists' rendition of tuplips, anyway. Corn, nawwwwwwwwwww. It's just too far of a stretch for the carving to be ears of corn, however it is highly debatable what the carving represents, exactly.
Your friend;
LAMAR

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Smithbrown,

Nice picture. There are so many carvings on that chapel.....which are of nothing in particular, that you could probably find just about anything......with a good imagination.
For instance, what would you say the design around that archway is?

Take care,

Joe

Attachments

• Roslyn Chapel 1845 2.jpg
    Roslyn Chapel 1845 2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 887

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Dear Lamar,

Tulips were my very first thought as well, but I was too embarrased to admit it. :-[

As Smithbrown said, it's pretty hard to build a case around that kind of "evidence".

Take care,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
All,

Just for fun, here are two pictures of Medieval Scottish stone carving:

Joe

Attachments

• frontview.jpg
    frontview.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 890
  • reverseview.jpg
    reverseview.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 881

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
In general I don't think the plants are well enough defined to say what most of them are, just "foliage".
One can never have too many Pictish stones, though.

Smithbrown

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear Smithbrown;
Nobody knows for sure when that particular depiction was carved as nobody has yet done any serious research at Roslyn Chapel, my friend. When I was there, it was falling apart and it seemed to had been forgotten about. With the Da Vinci Code, it has undergone a SERIOUS restoration and hopefully there will be in-depth studies performed in the near future.

I was there and I've seen the carvings and to me they looked like one huge hodge-podge, without rhyme or reason. This makes it very difficult to get a bearing on what was carved at what time and by whom and what what particular reason. Due to the state of the carvings when I viewed them, it seemed as if the whole operation was a start-stop-start one, with carvings having been started, then left unfinished, then completed by another carver at a later date.

It was all so very odd, and the lack of information about the carvings in chapel led me to believe that it's existence had been forgotten about with the passing of time. None of the people on the grounds had any real information on the Chapel and even the nice family that lived on the grounds whom I pestered about the ruins did not know much, only rumors handed down through the generations. They served very nice tea however.
Your friend;
LAMAR

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
Cactusjumper;

cactusjumper said:
Smithbrown,

"If you read the earlier posting you would see that this stone has been placed in the crypt in the last few years for safe keeping. It is supposed to have come originally from a graveyard, whjere it would certainly be more in keeping."

I believe I did read the earlier posts, but must confess I missed almost all of the above information. Looking back, I am still not finding it. Getting old, so anything is possible.

Take care,

Joe

http://sinclair.quarterman.org/rosslyn/kingofterrors.html

Look in the lower left corner of the page.

At the left top it's dated 04-09-00.

eethr

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Before you accept everything about Henry Sinclair as gospel, can I suggest you read Brian Smith's survey of the sources? You will find it here: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/ahamilton/sinclair.htm

And there is no 14th century Venetian cannon found in Louisbourg; it is 17th century swivel gun of a quite common kind; you will find a pretty well identical one in Montreal. And there are many in museums and from shipwrecks across the world. Unfortunately most of the arguments or evidence are not based on accurate information.

Smithbrown

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
SB,

I had read that information some time ago. I believed what it conveyed before I had read the article but it's fun looking back at this history, so I don't personally mind all the little side trips. I have one of Sinclair's books. Good read.

Thanks,

Joe Ribaudo

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Judy H wrote
Thank you, Oro....for the very interesting Topic

<BLUSH> I cannot take the credit for posting this VERY interesting thread - it was posted by our mutual friend JakefaePA. I join you in thanking our friend for posting this thread! :thumbsup:
your friend,
Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread