Roslyn pictures

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Roy,

Here's a place to start: http://sinclair.quarterman.org/rosslyn/kingofterrors.html

The "King of Terrors" is death, and the king of death is Mot. If you want to understand it further, you would need to reread Job. :icon_study: You will find Eliphaz closely linked to the subject.

"His confidence shall be rooted out of his tabernacle, and it shall bring him to the king of terrors."

Darkness and destruction accompanies the king of terrors.....demons, plague and pestilence, as well.

As you can see, the "King of Terrors" has always been with us. It makes eminent sense that he is death.

Take care,

Joe

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Joe - thank you for the link, and your conclusion makes eminent good sense. Now my next question may be a little more difficult for you (and to anyone reading this) - for what purpose would the stone cutters guild have made such a terrible stone, to be included IN A CHAPEL? This is especially puzzling to me. ???
Thank you in advance,
Roy ~ Oroblanco

K

Kentucky Kache

Oroblanco said:
Joe - thank you for the link, and your conclusion makes eminent good sense. Now my next question may be a little more difficult for you (and to anyone reading this) - for what purpose would the stone cutters guild have made such a terrible stone, to be included IN A CHAPEL? This is especially puzzling to me. ???
Thank you in advance,
Roy ~ Oroblanco

The catholic denomination was founded on pagan rituals. Everything about it is pagan. No surprise they would have yet another pagan symbol. I'm not saying that out of hate, you can look at history and see it's true.

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear Cache Crazy;
The catholic denomination was founded on pagan rituals. Everything about it is pagan. No surprise they would have yet another pagan symbol. I'm not saying that out of hate, you can look at history and see it's true.
You ARE a hater! Why deny this? It's obvious what you are. Also, you have no idea what you are talking about. Stop babbling on about things which you do not have any clue about.
Thank you;
LAMAR

K

Kentucky Kache

lamar said:
Dear Cache Crazy;
You ARE a hater! Why deny this? It's obvious what you are. Also, you have no idea what you are talking about. Stop babbling on about things which you do not have any clue about.
Thank you;
LAMAR

You better believe I'm a hater of paganism that calls itself Christianity. Make no mistake about that. There is a difference, however, in hate and malice.

Whether or not I'm right, it's all recorded. You haven't been able to change it, that's why you have to work so hard to discredit it. But you won't be able to stop the truth.

bigjohn835

Jan 10, 2009
Hegins Pennsylvania
This thread has gone way off base, but anyway, paganism was the worship of many gods (I. E. sun, earth, plants, ect.), while christianity is the belief of one God. Catholism was it's own entity. Not that I'm discrediting your statement, but most religion can be traced to Paganism, as it is one of the oldest religions. All religion starts somewhere. One person creates an idea, an it spawns from there. Religion is after all philosophy. It seems most people hear Pagan, and associate it with devil worship. It is afterall a legitimate religion, and is still practiced is some cultures. Roman mythology is based on it. Why do have malice?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Cache Crazy said:
Oroblanco said:
Thank you in advance,
Roy ~ Oroblanco

HOLA amigo Cache Crazy - but I would point out that this particular stone also is "signed" by the Guild, not the Catholic Church, which leaves me puzzled as to what their purpose was? We don't know that this strange and fearsome carving was done by order of anyone within the church, the fact that it is signed by the Guild certainly points to their authorship rather than the church. What was their intended meaning?
Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco

K

Kentucky Kache

I don't know. But, are we sure when the stone was placed in the chapel?

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, whatever everyone wants to argue about, the place is as magnificent a place as I have ever seen, and the carvings are incredible, to use an understatement.

I must thank you for posting them!

B

bigjohn835

Jan 10, 2009
Hegins Pennsylvania
Death was a big part of many religions back then, as today. Symbolism was used to translate many ideals of life and morality, due to the fact that not many people were capabile of reading back then. And one of the most important aspects of life is indeed the end.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Cache Crazy wrote
I don't know. But, are we sure when the stone was placed in the chapel?

I could not even venture a guess - perhaps some one of our members could give us some specifics? I have to wonder what the Guild was trying to say with this very strange stone - it has some resemblance to a "headstone" like a grave stone, perhaps to indicate the DEATH of DEATH? (A futile hope unfortunately!) Why put it into a CHAPEL? I am really winging it here but is it intended to be some mark of faith, of a resurrection and defeat (death of death) of the 'King of Terrors'? Why place it inside of the chapel and not into the graveyard?

Bigjohn wrote
due to the fact that not many people were capabile of reading back then. And one of the most important aspects of life is indeed the end.

I forgot that fact - that the majority of people could not read, so symbolic imagery had much more significance and importance than today.

Ditto to the remarks of Mrs O, also. Quite a fascinating place and VERY interesting photos!
Oroblanco

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Jake,

Quote from: cactusjumper on Mar 08, 2009, 05:37:30 PM
Newt,

"Cactus jumper , thats a good point but for one slight detail , whos to say they didnt bring corn back ? It would never have grown in Scotland , it would fail to grow."

Sorry, I believe you are badly mistaken here. Corn grows quite well in Scotland, but as I understand it, they call it maize.

Take care,

Joe

"Thats odd , i grew up there and lived there the last 25 years ,in total ive lived there 35 years and ive never seen a cornfield ..not ever".

I have never been to Scotland, so you may be correct.

Having never been there, I relied on the Internet to clue me in. Below are two sites out of many that made me believe that corn/maize is grown in Scotland:

Sensitivity to climatic and other factors
Maize has a different mechanism of photosynthesis from all other major crops in the UK (C4 rather than C3) which is most effective at warm temperatures. In an average growing season in the UK, despite rapid advances in plant breeding, maize only just receives sufficient degree-days and solar radiation to produce viable yields. Although the crop is grown commercially on a small scale in many parts of northern England and parts of Scotland, the more favourable growing areas are limited to the warm lowland parts of southern and central England and coastal Wales. The crop is vulnerable to adverse weather conditions in its establishment stages.
The area of maize grown obviously depends on trends in livestock production and the profitability of competing crops as well as climate.

http://www.ecn.ac.uk/iccuk//indicators/23.htm

Grain Maize Varieties and Production

MERIBEL
·High yield grain yield and high grain maturity make it one of the best for grain maize production
·Excellent early vigour and best standing power of any potential grain maize variety
·Grain quality under evaluation for micronising
·Bullet-proof variety grown from south west Scotland to Cornwall

BALTIS
·Best variety in the recent NIAB grain maize trials
·Yield 105% of controls and mean yield of 8.6t/ha
·Most widely grown variety of the current grain types in the UK
·Lower grain moisture at harvest allowing earlier threshing of grain off the spindle
·Good yields of grain can be maximised with use of irrigation at flowering on light soils

Maize for Grain Production

·Lodging resistance is essential when harvesting maize for grain since harvest will not be before the end of October in most years.
·The plant will be dried out by autumn winds and early frosts so that the crop looks dead. The lower the moisture content in the kernels at harvest, the cheaper the drying charges that will be incurred.
·Grain maize is harvested at 30 % moisture and produce must be dried straight off the combine to ensure that grain moisture is reduced to 15% for long term storage.
·A combine snapper header allow faster harvesting and cleaner samples to be produced since only the cob is processed by the combine rather than the whole plant.

Growing Season

·Maize for grain production should be drilled at a seed rate of 42,000 seeds/acre to establish 40,000 seeds/acre (98,000/ha) to accelerate kernel dry down at harvest and to maximise cob size and grain yield.
·Grain crops should be grown using the same husbandry guidelines as forage maize. Remove soil compaction, ensure sufficient crop nutrients are available to the plant by using placement phosphate and ensure a high potash level for good cob development. In an arable rotation weed control should be cheap with only one application being required on many fields.
·Opportunities exist for selling standing crops to dairy farmers, particularly in dry years when forage stocks are low.

http://www.grainfarmers.co.uk/maize.php

It may very well be that corn couldn't have survived in that era. More important to me, is the fact that this wonderful crop went unrecorded, but was important enough to carve into stone. :icon_scratch:

Thank you for your reply,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Roy,

[Joe - thank you for the link, and your conclusion makes eminent good sense. Now my next question may be a little more difficult for you (and to anyone reading this) - for what purpose would the stone cutters guild have made such a terrible stone, to be included IN A CHAPEL? This is especially puzzling to me.
Thank you in advance,
Roy ~ Oroblanco]

I actually have two theories. The stone could be a warning to go no farther........Treasure???

The other is more benign. I am reminded of the burial places of many of the Jesuits who died in New Spain. Could it be a burial marker for an important person, or perhaps a child.

As for it being a "terrible stone", what could be more terrible than the death of an innocent? Perhaps they were simply carving the reality of the place.

Pure guesswork......

Take care,

Joe

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Greetings Joe - I had not considered the idea of a warning stone which was placed to protect a treasure of some kind. But how could skilled stone cutters be trusted with creating it, unless they knew not what it was for? It remains a puzzling inscription.
Oroblanco

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
If you read the earlier posting you would see that this stone has been placed in the crypt in the last few years for safe keeping. It is supposed to have come originally from a graveyard, whjere it would certainly be more in keeping.
There is no point discussing catholic imagery in relation to the stone, it dates from the 17th century when Scotland was resolutely Protestant; you have to consider it in the light of Episcopalian or Calvinist symbolism.
The depiction of the triumph of death is not at all uncommon, in both Catholic and Protestant countries.

Smithbrown

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :tongue3: :thumbsup: WOW! What an INTERESTING thread! KING OF TERROR in a chapel... HA! FEAR of DEATH was apparent to the K.T. & EVERYONE; PROBABLY a VERY hard "life", then... people not living a LONG time, etc. The wars, VIOLENCE; so... why not show in a CHAPEL, that LIFE is MORE than the "physical" being? Upon "death" of the "physical" body, the "SPIRIT" moves on, which is a Pagan/Christian/Catholic belief... THEN, and NOW! The "corn" is indeed a "symbol" of fertility/prosperity; as in the corn/wine "blessing" in the HOLY BIBLE. BLESSING the NORTHWEST (or NORTHEAST) corner of new buildings, which the StoneMasons/Masons PROBABLY did. then. Even Bro. George Washinton used the Corn/Oil, etc. "blessing" of some building in Washington, DC (White House?) in Masonic regalia/rituals, etc. SO! Sounds like a "pagan" influence in stone, as a way to "show" people, who "could not" read nor write, then... certain SECRETS! MAY NOT mean, there was corn in Scotland, or Columbus (MAY have been K.T.) brought back CORN from his "trips" to America. :o ;D :wink: :-X

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear group;
Maybe the *maize* carvings were carved in the 16th-17th centuries timeline?
Your friend;
LAMAR

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
No, the corn is in the main late medieval period build (although there was a big 19th century restoration). They are round one of the medieval windows.
Smithbrown

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread