Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is what happens is someone finds "something of interest" (history); FEDS come in, "takes over", make it "FED-land"... ie NATIONAL PARK, Military "site" (Ft. E), etc. HH! Good Luck! Keep SILENT!

Either that or the Feds decide to take control of an area and then a "treasure legend" is started? Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Either that or the Feds decide to take control of an area and then a "treasure legend" is started? Maybe it's just a coincidence.

COULD BE! If "FED-LAND"... NO TH. MD may be OK with permit from FEDS; same is true for "STATE-LAND"; maybe even "TOWN/CITY/COUNTY-LAND". Going "PRIVATE"... LOL!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
R & I: BACK to Mulberry Island... "googling" Ft. Eustis (wiki) reveals GREAT history of Mulberry Island; Settled by ENGLISH colonists (@ 1607). "For the next 300 years, Mulberry Island remained very rural, until it was purchased by the "FEDS" in 1918." MAYBE someone found BB's stuff and Feds bought "silence" and the land, in 1918... after WW I, FEDS probably had lots of $$$$$$$$$$$!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
DANG! TN ALREADY has a "Thread" on Blackbeard's Treasure, on Mulberry Island in Virginia; read all 3 pages.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
R & I indicate that back in the days of the 1st settlement, Mulberry Island was owned by my ancestor; I DO remember "family history" indicating land near the lower James River, that was "marsh" area. Did BB put treasure there BEFORE Brits came ashore (Jamestown) in 1607...? MAYBE! NOT likely, tho...

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Rebel

I'd imagine that burial site was only temporary hiding site until a buyer was arranged for various stolen articles in Jamestown as smuggling back then and the towns people profiteered considerably by stolen goods sold by pirates. Many in the community and even a few officials turned a blind eye to it.

Crow

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, maybe so... NO family "legend" of BB putting treasure on "family land"; WOULD be nice to know year of "deposit",tho...
BB died on Nov. 22, 1718; born 1680. Will look for years, BB lived in Ocracoke, NC area. Bath, NC was area of his MANSION and the area that he "entertained" other pirates & Gov. Eden of North Carolina, who lived him, then. Eden, NC was state capital, then; might be ANOTHER "area" of interest. HH! Good Luck!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
R & I indicate that Mulberry Island was part of POWHATAN Nation (aka "Indians"), headed by High Chief Powhatan... who had a CONFEDERACY of tribes from tidewater Virginia up above & east of Richmond, Va., stopping at the Falls in the James River, west of Richmond, Va. Monacan Nation owned land west of Richmond, Va., starting ABOVE the Falls in the James River, to Campbell/Amherst/Bedford Counties on WESTERN side of Virginia. POWHATAN owned Mulberry Island in 1607 when Brits "landed"/settled in Jamestown... 1607. He gave M.I. to his WHITE son-in-law, who died in 1622. Powhatan's grandson PROBABLY got M.I. at the death of his father; STILL tracing land ownership... ALL in my family.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Hmmm... Powhatan's grandson ("Pepsi") had the land on the OTHER side of the James River; after his ("Pepsi") father died in 1622, his father's "will" left M.I. to his wife (3rd). They had a daughter, who got M.I. after her mother died; land no longer in my "family". STILL nothing on BB; END of R & I...

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Rebel

Maybe we are all looking under the assumption it was actually black beards treasure other than some one else. Because Blackbeard was the most famous pirate of the era the alleged treasure buried on the island over time has be attributed to him. Blackbeard was not the only pirate and smuggler that operated in the region over the years?

Crow

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Hello Rebel

Maybe we are all looking under the assumption it was actually black beards treasure other than some one else. Because Blackbeard was the most famous pirate of the era the alleged treasure buried on the island over time has be attributed to him. Blackbeard was not the only pirate and smuggler that operated in the region over the years?

Crow

VERY true, Crow; NEVER heard/seen "Treasure Legend" of Mulberry Island... what cha know...?

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
As Bananaskinslippers mentioned before

The source of the story relating to treasure on Mulberry island was via a Portuguese Sailor called Anthony de Sylvestre who was in Gujarat India at the time. who passed on the information to another sailor whose version we hear today. This was around the early 18th century. Over time the story treasure was over time directly linked to Blackbeard even if there were possible links of various crew members at one time had a connection with the famous pirate. It was not necessarily Blackbeard's.Another thing the old account does not say on but near?

Crow

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, we KNOW BB died 11/22/1718; "google" Mulberry Island Project: 1607-2007. Might find info of interest...

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, we KNOW BB died 11/22/1718; "google" Mulberry Island Project: 1607-2007. Might find info of interest...

Some good stuff there Rebel.:thumbsup: I for one did not know the island was occupied by some many family's. Pity about the military destroying the cemeteries.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I could imagine their would be a bigger legal fight today to preserve the grave sites around the base then back in 1918.

Of course people was considered little more than cannon fodder back then.............Er then again perhaps we have come full circle????

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread