CSA Treasure(s)/Treasury...?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
During the War of Northern Aggression, the St Johns River was the diving line between Union occupied territory and Confederate held territory in east Florida. The Union controlled Jacksonville, St Augustine on the Atlantic, and Palatka on the St Johns, which they constantly patrolled with gun boats, from Jacksonville to Lake George, looking for CSA river blockade runners that supplied the Confederacy food, salt, and other goods.
In Palatka, Lola Sanchez, a Confederate spy, supplied Confederate militias, intelligence on the gun boat movements. Sanchez main contact was CSA Capt J J Dickinson of Marion county, whose cavalry raids brought the War to the Union occupiers, and kept central Florida free from Union invasion.
The Union commander at Fort Marion (Castillo de San Marcos) in St Augustine, ordered in May 1864, the gunboats,
USS Columbine and USS Ottawa, to capture or kill Dickinson and his CSA militia.
Sanchez got word to Dickinson, and his 100 man cavalry with a 25 men artillery unit with two small cannons, hid on the west bank at Brown's Landing, south of Palatka.( The field pieces were manufactured by John Pearson's machine shop in Orange Springs on the Oklawaha River. Pearson was another business partner of David Levy Yulee, and a neighbor of Dickinson)
When the Union gunboats appeared, Dickinson let the Columbine proceed down river, then shelled the 52 gun Ottawa, which retreated back to Palatka.
Dickinson then moved his men south to Horse Landing on the St Johns, to lay and wait for the Columbine's return.
A Confederate lookout in a oak tree announced the Columbine's approach, and one of Dickinson's first cannon shell ripped out the gunboat's wheel, and it ran aground. A firefight commenced, 20 Union soldiers killed and 65 taken prisoner.
Dickinson's men unloaded the Columbine of arms, ammunition, food, the paymasters strongbox, and the longboat, which was later used by CSA Sec of War John C Breckinridge and CSA Capt John Taylor Wood in their May 1885 escape from Florida.
After empting the Columbine of all useful items, the gunboat was burned on the banks of the St Johns.
In US history, this is the only event when a cavalry unit sunk an enemy ship.
More information on CSA Capt John W Pearson, of Orange Springs, partner of David Levy Yulee; includes photo of Orange Springs land grant signed by President Franklin Pierce and of Pearson issued script.
Orange Springs - Hometown Currency

SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have much to add as far as the treasure hunting side of things, but I just wanted to say I visited beautiful Ocala this past week and had such a great time exploring downtown and the historic Tuscawilla neighborhood. What a hidden gem of a town! I have been following this thread for some time and was visiting friends near Citra and thought I should check out some of the "hot spots" mentioned.

As I said before, I have been following this thread for some time now and after visiting Ocala have a few questions I hope someone can help piece together for me from what I found.

- Where exactly was the Odd Fellows building that is no longer standing? I found the old Jewish Cemetery, but saw that it takes up about a 1/3 of that block and fills in the length of the block from east to west. I read before that the OOF was behind the cemetery, but this does not seem possible as it is bound on 3 sides by roadway.

- On the opposite corner of this block (which is vacant except for the cemetery) there is an area where a foundation or retaining wall is still visible. Is this where the lumberyard stood?

- Does anyone know the exact location of the house where JPB stayed? From what I've gathered this seems to be either Simon or Solomon Benjamin's house(s) or General Bullocks home. I have done quite a bit of research on this, but cannot figure it out.

- Ok, totally non history/treasure question... Whats up with the broadcasting of the Florida State Legislature over speakers throughout the square?! I have to say, I have traveled to many small towns and historic locations in my time, but this is something I have never encountered!

Thanks in advance to anyone will put up with my questions and help me with some answers! :occasion14:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The retaining wall was were Ocala Lumber was located.
The street across from that retaining wall, will take you to Greenwood Cemetery, where CSA Gen Bullock is buried.
On the street behind the Jewish cemetery is a chain linked blacktop lot- site of OOF.
The 2-story Century 21 building on Silver Springs Blvd (Hwy 40) is the old Benjamin house.
One block south of SSB is Fort King Street, and several period homes, one in which US Gen Chamberlain stayed with his son in the 1880's.

SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! Next time I'm up that way I'll definitely check these spots out.

Also, I live very close to the Gamble Mansion in Ellenton so if anyone is looking for any info for my area I'd be more than happy to check it out.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
In Parker's account, Breckinridge was at Washington, Ga, and mentioned that Breckinridge and Wood bought a rowboat for their escape. That "rowboat" was the lifeboat from the USS Columbine that CSA Capt J J Dickinson captured and sunk at Horse Landing on the St Johns River.

River blockade runner, Capt Hubbard Hart was paid $4500 for carrying them down the Oklawaha to Ocala on his riverboat, James Burt.

On the St Johns , before it meets the Oklawaha, Palatka CSA spy, Lola Sanchez was given 500 Mexican silver dollars, what remained in that keg, was buried at CSA Fort Brook at Orange Springs, near Dickinson's Sunnyside Plantation.(Payment for the lifeboat?)

When Breckinridge and Wood reached Fort Dallas (Miami), Breckinridge gave Rose Wagner, daughter of William Wagner, sutler for Fort Dallas, a $20 gold coin.
After overtaking a Cuban fishing boat and sailing to Cuba, Breckinridge and Wood stayed with Lola Sanchez's relatives, then made contact with CSA Agent in Cuba, John J Helms.
Contrary to Parker's account, Benjamin escaped from the Gulf coast at Ellenton, with help of McKay and Hendry of the CSA Fort Meade "cow cavalry" with Archibald McNeil sailed him to the Bahamas.
The site of Fort Brook at Orange Springs in northeast Marion county is also a good search site. :icon_thumright:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering how many treasure hunters had search these CSA treasures. Good hunting and good luck.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering how many treasure hunters had search these CSA treasures. Good hunting and good luck.

Start another thread and ask everyone to post and say they searched for the CSA treasures. I have searched every since I was five years old. That would be 59 years come next April. My partner and I have located 58 depositories with hundreds of tons of gold but we are unable to recover any due to government interference. The smallest one of these depositories is worth about $3 Billion and that is for bullion and not numismatic as that would bring the total to $10 or $15 Billion Dollars.

T hunter 24

Greenie
May 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get R & I "hats" on... CSA Treasure, Treasures, Treasury; know that GOLD coins, Silver Coins, & JEWELRY were donated to REBEL (CSA) gov't to keep the Confederate War going... is THIS something of "interest"...? Confederate Treasure Coverup :icon_thumleft:

We are searching Pinckneyville, SC We have found an x with a hook on the top right of it.
My friend says it's a marker for the Knights Templar. We can't understand the other markings cut on the stone. Can anyone help.
J. Lancaster

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread