Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of Caches of Muskets and pistols being found under houses here in Texas that were buried at the end of the Civil War, but I have not heard of any actual treasures being buried other thing the Singer Stuff on the coast.

O

Old Silver

I believe the CSA treasury, what was left of it, was buried in Georgia.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK here is some info that has floated around for years but might give someone some decent leads to investigate or research ---------------- When Sherman left Atlanta he traveled in 3 flanks . since he had been an engineer by schooling at the Point and he had done an " internship " mapping Georgia His line of march from TN to Atlanta is what is now I 75 , his flanks mainly traveled over what is now the Interstates in Georgia When he left Atlanta in Nov 1864 One flank traveled on what is now I 20 east the other traveled in what is now I 16 . the third was the flank that Foraged the area for food ect.
I 16 begins just outside of Macon, Ga and heads directly to Savanah , Ga . When Sherman got to Macon he shelled the city because the CSA pistol factory was located there but also the Treasure of the CSA resided there . The Treasures home still stands today and shows the signs of being hit by a cannon ball. BUT to this day there is a hidden doorway under a stair well that leads to the documented UNDERGROUND TUNNELS OF MACON , The tunnels lead through the old downtown area and have exits throughout the historic district through buildings, The tunnels have never been fully explored since due to expansion of the city flooding and building owners sealing the entry points. This all can be researched on the web I just dont have time to find all the links. One branch of the tunnel has an entry or exit ( depends on if your coming or going ) at a period cemetery at an old monastery , That is where it is beleived any treasury has been moved to also note parts of the tunnels that have been explored have yielded metal pots and digging tools. As a side note I 16 traveling east passes through Milledgeville, GA the Georgia Capital after Atlanta fell ! Good Luck

O

Old Silver

OK here is some info that has floated around for years but might give someone some decent leads to investigate or research ---------------- When Sherman left Atlanta he traveled in 3 flanks . since he had been an engineer by schooling at the Point and he had done an " internship " mapping Georgia His line of march from TN to Atlanta is what is now I 75 , his flanks mainly traveled over what is now the Interstates in Georgia When he left Atlanta in Nov 1864 One flank traveled on what is now I 20 east the other traveled in what is now I 16 . the third was the flank that Foraged the area for food ect.
I 16 begins just outside of Macon, Ga and heads directly to Savanah , Ga . When Sherman got to Macon he shelled the city because the CSA pistol factory was located there but also the Treasure of the CSA resided there . The Treasures home still stands today and shows the signs of being hit by a cannon ball. BUT to this day there is a hidden doorway under a stair well that leads to the documented UNDERGROUND TUNNELS OF MACON , The tunnels lead through the old downtown area and have exits throughout the historic district through buildings, The tunnels have never been fully explored since due to expansion of the city flooding and building owners sealing the entry points. This all can be researched on the web I just dont have time to find all the links. One branch of the tunnel has an entry or exit ( depends on if your coming or going ) at a period cemetery at an old monastery , That is where it is beleived any treasury has been moved to also note parts of the tunnels that have been explored have yielded metal pots and digging tools. As a side note I 16 traveling east passes through Milledgeville, GA the Georgia Capital after Atlanta fell ! Good Luck

Could be. But I have an old newspaper article that tells a very interesting story. It has to do with the event of Jefferson Davis' capture.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The attached link holds a discussion about the Tunnels , The correct name for the person and tittle was William Butler Johnson The Depositer for the Confederate Treasury ( He built and resided in the home in Macon until he sold it , it is now called the HAY HOUSE ) and a link to the masons , Read each post since they contain assorted links about the subject Macon GA Tunnels - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of the remaining CSA treasury made it to David Levy Yulee's Cottonwood Plantation in Archer, Florida, and a part was carried by CSA Sec of State, Judah P Benjamin(Yulee's cousin), CSA Sec of War, John C Breckinridge, CSA Capt John Taylor Wood(Jefferson Davis' nephew), during their escape through Florida, by way of the Oklawaha River and Ocala/Silver Springs before leaving the country.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the remaining CSA treasury made it to David Levy Yulee's Cottonwood Plantation in Archer, Florida, and a part was carried by CSA Sec of State, Judah P Benjamin(Yulee's cousin), CSA Sec of War, John C Breckinridge, CSA Capt John Taylor Wood(Jefferson Davis' nephew), during their escape through Florida, by way of the Oklawaha River and Ocala/Silver Springs before leaving the country.
That makes some sense when I was researching the macon connection Florida came up something about someone being paid 40 K to dredge out a river near Ocala Sorry but the brain starts turning to mush after tracking down so much of this stuff I am a Sherman follower so the other stuff is just things I read and cant connect too on the spir of the moment

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
That makes some sense when I was researching the macon connection Florida came up something about someone being paid 40 K to dredge out a river near Ocala Sorry but the brain starts turning to mush after tracking down so much of this stuff I am a Sherman follower so the other stuff is just things I read and cant connect too on the spir of the moment
Capt Hubbard Hart, CSA river blockade runner, was paid $4500 in gold coin for taking Benjamin, Breckinridge, and Wood, from the St Johns River, down the Oklawaha River to Silver Springs on his riverboat, the James Burt, May,1865.
Breckinridge and Wood stayed at the home of CSA Brig Gen Robert Bullock, Benjamin at his Ocala Benjamin cousins in that Ocala's Tuscawilla section.
It is interesting to note, that before departing for Florida, they stayed, along with Davis and his wife, at the Marshall family's WHITE HALL Plantation in Abbeville,SC. The Marshall's also had a plantation on the Oklawaha River which the 3rd Union Colored Infantry raided, March 10, 1865.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The Confederate Treasury train followed Davis and Cabinet from the flight from Richmond.
April 3,1865 the train left Richmond to Danville,Va, April 8 onto Charlotte,NC, and on April 12 to Chester,SC , where it was loaded onto wagons. Between April 19 and May 3 it went back and forth from Marshall's White Hall Plantation in Abbeville,SC, to Washington ,Ga.
On its journey to Dionysius Chennault's plantation in Washington,Ga, it was attacked by an unknown band.They fled with what they had stolen, claims place it at $250,000, and it has been rumored that some it was buried on several locations near the plantation,and a larger cache was buried where the Apalachee and Oconee Rivers meet.
On May 24,1865,the Union army descended on Chennault's and recovered the remaining CSA treasury-boxes, barrels, crates of gold and silver coins, gold and silver bullion, and jewelry donated by Southern ladies for the Cause.
Not believing that part of the treasury was taken by bandits, the Union soldiers tortured members of the Chennault family and members of their household to no avail, because none of them knew or divulged the location of the rest of the missing treasury.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
In the 2nd year of the Confederate War, CSA Sec of the Treasury, Christopher G Memminger, reopened the CSA assay office in Dahlonega, Georgia. Lewis Quillian was appointed as assayer, and the remaining gold and silver from the captured US mint in New Orleans was transferred by CSA asst treasurer, Anthony Guirot to Dahlonega.
The shipmen arrived, June 1862, consisting of 900 oz of gold and 17,000 oz of silver, which Quillion assayed and began casting into bars.
On Oct 1, 1862,the bars were crated and placed on a wagon to be shipped to Atlanta, and to be loaded onto a train to be shipped to THOMAS METCALF, CONFEDERATE DEPOSITORY BANK in Augusta. The shipment, then valued at $38,500 never arrived, and has never been accounted for.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
In the 2nd year of the Confederate War, CSA Sec of the Treasury, Christopher G Memminger, reopened the CSA assay office in Dahlonega, Georgia. Lewis Quillian was appointed as assayer, and the remaining gold and silver from the captured US mint in New Orleans was transferred by CSA asst treasurer, Anthony Guirot to Dahlonega.
The shipmen arrived, June 1862, consisting of 900 oz of gold and 17,000 oz of silver, which Quillion assayed and began casting into bars.
On Oct 1, 1862,the bars were crated and placed on a wagon to be shipped to Atlanta, and to be loaded onto a train to be shipped to THOMAS METCALF, CONFEDERATE DEPOSITORY BANK in Augusta. The shipment, then valued at $38,500 never arrived, and has never been accounted for.

One CW Legend, I remember reading, was that a CSA Train had a load of CSA "assets", went into a tunnel in a mountain (thought it was Tenn.); parked "said train" in the tunnel, and BOTH ends were blown shut. Ends cleaned up; tracks removed, with NO trace of it. Went across the river, somewhere... thought it was Bristol, Va./Tenn.; dunno.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread