Pioneer scribble or something ELSE? (pics of find updated)

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Pioneer scribble or something ELSE?

mannings said:
Thom: Thanks for the add'l advice.

Blind: Thanks for the encouragement! I have been playing with every combination as far as letters / numbers, significance of dots, significance of letters "underlined" etc etc. Appreciate your thoughts.
As far as how you came up with 32.5??? You tell me! LOL
My thought: It's J I M. Jesse James was here in 1886. I have no idea what 32.5 has to do with anything. There is till the matter of the little 'o' in morse. It seems out of context given the size of the other letters. I am going to stop squirming and floundering around on the thread now. It's embarrasing.

Supposedly shot in the back of the head, 3 April 1882.

http://www.texasescapes.com/CFEckhardt/Jesse-James-Miss-Shirleys-Story.htm

http://www.texasescapes.com/BobBowman/Jesse-James-in-Texas.htm

OP
OP
mannings

mannings

Feb 4, 2006

Blind.In.Texas said:
mannings said:

Blind: Thanks for the encouragement! I have been playing with every combination as far as letters / numbers, significance of dots, significance of letters "underlined" etc etc. Appreciate your thoughts.
My thought: It's J I M. Jesse James was here in 1886. I have no idea what 32.5 has to do with anything. There is till the matter of the little 'o' in morse. It seems out of context given the size of the other letters. I am going to stop squirming and floundering around on the thread now. It's embarrasing.

I assumed by 32.5 you meant the sum of "JIM" plus .5 for the little "o" ... now I'm guessing on your guesses. LOL

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mannings said:
Blind.In.Texas said:
mannings said:

I assumed by 32.5 you meant the sum of "JIM" plus .5 for the little "o" ... now I'm guessing on your guesses. LOL
I think the "o" means mine or minus one. I won't tell how I got 32.5. The following is an excerpt from an article I found to be interesting.

"Name - 16 (True Faith.) sign 25 (fore-finger and thumb of right hand joined, while with the rest of the hands open the right eye is touching with middle finger.) answer 26 (same with left hand and left eye) password 27 (Monterey) night word or distress - 32 (St. Mary) response - 31 and say 5 (grasp by wrist and say Rio Grande) emblem - 28 ( gold circle encasing Greek cross in centre of which is a star). This is the 29 (key) to our 30 (secret alphabet) use of 33 (K.G.C.) 56 (Goerge Bickley) guard sign 1/2 28 ( gold circle encasing Greek cross in centre of which is a star) silence 25 (fore-finger and thumb of right hands joined, while with the rest of the hands open the right eye is touching with the middle finger) on lips, danger - same with left."

I agree with the other poster that you need to look for drill holes. I still think you need to get a bearing on the slant above the three dots and begin your search in that direction. It does not matter how rough the terrain is. Also, if you could go back to this rock and take pictures in the direction of the line (both directions), from the map, it might be helpful.

I also sent you a link to a picture of James's hand writing. I think you will find it an interesting confirmation.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Mannings,

look closer at the original pannel.
look at how that R is written in Morse.
You have seen a bar written under numbers and letters to indicate the bottom of the figure.
Notice the bar on top of the double R. I am beginning to believe that part or all of this message should be read upside down.

also look at the date. see the periods breaking up the numbers.
This isn't a date. It could be upside down as well.

More to come as the clues pop out.

I agree with Mike.
The points and drill holes will be very important when you get back out there to figure this out.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

To let you know, the article excerpt above is what caused me to round up to 33 from 32.5. I also read another article just now which states that 33 is a sign that you are on a KGC trail. Below is the excerpt from a different source. The first source (above) gives 33 as code indentification to KGC. The second source (below) simply says to look for 33:

"Consider these Signs & Symbols : Radiant Sun, Trees in weird shapes ( disfigured ), Giant rock carvings or shapes ( animals, faces ), Rock piles/monuments, Crosses, Hearts, Bells, Animals, Numbers, Dates, Priests, Pyramids, Eyes, Graffitti, Jack O'Lantern Faces, Names, Initials, JJ, Dates, Bible Passages, 3-Toed Turkey Tracks, Blazes on trees, Odd-shaped rocks, Rocks that seem out of place, 33, Shallow buried metal objects, Small caches, Horse, Donkey, Turtle, Birds, Snakes, Indian Chiefs, Pointing Finger, Stone Maps, Names spelled backwards, Anagrams ( scrambled words ), Phonetics, Arrows, Crosses, Window Rocks, Dagger or Knife----JUST TO NAME SOME OF THE CLUES YOU WILL BE LOOKING FOR !"
http://www.jessejamesintexas.com/maps.htm

OP
OP
mannings

mannings

Feb 4, 2006

Thanks Mike and Thom.

I will take pics in both directions (line runs due N and S).
Thom: I've been playing with the upside down thing as well.

One tends to go a little crazy with this stuff .. (guess I should speak for myself). Anyway, I also read it as "J.T. Mo (Missouri) Jesse James (double-J rather than R) se = southeast ... then the year as ??? I know, I feel silly sometimes with all the weirdness of my own thoughts. :dontknow:

OP
OP
mannings

mannings

Feb 4, 2006

Mike,

Sorry, I posted my last message while you were posting your last and I had not read yours. Would you guys this pic below is a turkey track? Off to the side of the same panel.

Attachments

• paint 2a rock.jpg
    paint 2a rock.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 2,042
  • paint 2a rock.jpg
    paint 2a rock.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 2,038

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mannings said:
Mike,

Sorry, I posted my last message while you were posting your last and I had not read yours. Would you guys this pic below is a turkey track? Off to the side of the same panel.
Reminds me of a bird foot but, doesn't the rear talon seem unecessarily long to be a track? Looks kind of a left/right choice with the left being "danger". Looks kinda like a spanish battle axe. ???

Interesting notes you made from the panel btw. It can makes one's head swim, ja?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Just take it slow and easy, don't take anything for granted.
Everything means something and don't forget...
Have fun. It takes as long as it takes.

Frustrating, yes but it will be a million time worth your while to just find the end.
Even if it is an empty hole ... you have learned a lot.

I'll be back Sunday.
Off to work.

AKiwi

Aug 4, 2005
Hastings, NZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500

Sorry haven't read the whole post, too excited! Had to scan to the end to see if there was any outcome.
Anyway, how hard is this rock? How long would it have taken too etch the signs?
If fairly soft, could be someone fooling around, but if the rock is hard...... well the message was meant to last and not just weathered away.
My 2 cents worth.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jim is a nickname for James. I think that whole string was made with the same tool. Remove the downbars from the "T" and you really have an "I" for J I M. Morse is a reference to the dots and that they should be utilized in deciphering their intent. I think the whole reference is to Jesse James and the KGC.

I wonder if this makes any sense.
paint%20a%20rock%20Compass.jpg

10claw

Aug 16, 2009

b. i t. , i like the template you used there. can that be gought someplace or is it special made?
thanks,===tenclaw===

S

Smee

Dunno about anyone else, I see TWO of the double J's. Take a close look at the I in JIM. That isn't a regular I with the downturned ends at the top.

OP
OP
mannings

mannings

Feb 4, 2006

Good question.

I'm unsure whether the J.M.M. is from the same period as the rest of that script. Also am not entirely sure the J is a J. Because the J.M.M. appears to have been done much later, I've taken these initials a bit less seriously. Will pay more attention if my current "leads" reach dead-ends.

Thanks,

Mannings

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is no JMM. The J is really an 's' lying face down and above that is a line with a dot below it.

mannings%20mod3.jpg

OP
OP
mannings

mannings

Feb 4, 2006

Okay, maybe bad news ... maybe good news ... maybe no news at all???????

Went to the site today and took a different route down off the hill that I had ever taken before. In a ravine, mostly covered by brush, I saw some old wood sticking out of the ground. Pulled some out and took pics.

Question: Which of the below 3 scenario's do you believe is more likely?

1) The cache has been located and the chest discarded. (My initial thought / feeling)
2) The chest was discarded (by whomever authored the panel) into the ravine to make caching easier. (I hold some hope because the ravine doesn't SEEM to be near a likely cache location)
3) The pics show something completely irrelevant.

You will easily notice the wood and hardware, however, there is also leather (badly worn, almost completely gone) that was made as part of the chest.
(Notice the "G" in one of the pics)

Thanks! (I have more pics from today but would like to see what everybody thinks about this topic first)

Mannings

Attachments

• chest1.jpg
    chest1.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 1,980
  • chest2.jpg
    chest2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 1,958
  • chest3.jpg
    chest3.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,973
  • chest4.jpg
    chest4.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,954
OP
OP
mannings

mannings

Feb 4, 2006

RH,

I believe MOST of it is plywood. However, there are dovetail joints and leather covered some of the box???

RockHopper2

Nov 22, 2009
Fletcher, OK

Mannings, try to find out when plywood was first used, you can date your find, maybe. Also I once found a carved G, the bar pointed to the next sign. RH2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread