Pioneer scribble or something ELSE? (pics of find updated)

comfortablynumb

Sep 8, 2009
NW Missouri
By far, one of the most interesting (and educational) threads I've followed. Good luck with your hunt. Maybe there's a trunk-load of those silvers in the area!!!

OP
OP
mannings

mannings

Feb 4, 2006
Please hang with me on this next post. Likely long.

I had come so far (to the point I "shut my mouth"), then reached frustration. Took a deep breath, stepped back, and "went on with my life." Originally, I had researched J.T. Morse, J.I. Morse, J.T. Moise, etc. etc. ....... and came up with interesting leads (as did B.I.T.). None went anywhere though.

I knew I had cracked the code to a near final level, but what now? I was close, so close, I could feel it. What now? I researched again (for the ????????????????????????????????????? time?????) and finally ..

Let me break here. I have spent countless hours (1000's) on my belly (literally) analyzing, photographing, documenting every detail of this 'rock.' NOW, after all this time, I found THE guy (though obviously passed) that authored it, 100%. THAT, in of itself, was a true treasure to me. (Pause here because I cannot begin to tell you how true that is) I now 'know' this man. Anyone 'get' that????

Then, through tough investigating - time-, I found the LIVING great grandaughter. Wow! I cannot begin to tell you what it was like to be speaking 'live' to a descendent ....... nevermind, can't explain it. :)

Family wasn't, originally, told (by me) of anything 'treasure' related because I didn't want any 'dramatization of facts.' I was told of how (I will simply call him "John") disappointed his family was that he "seemed to be following in the footsteps of his grandfather" (still don't know what that meant, and I don't think they do either). "Even as a child, John was defining his life." (negative implication)

"Gangs from the other part of the states were paying visits regularly." <<<< These are written family histories of a little known great grand father .... I spent HOURS on the phone with two descendent women. Let me say just how truly surreal it was that I had, at least, figured out this much of the riddle .. and it was REAL people. Without being too dramatic, this changed me forever.

In the coming days and conversations, they and I explored John's life. We made some agreements (and they will be reading this thread, I am sure) and they shared many documents (mostly letters 'to' John) they have in the family 'archive.' As I have said prior and will say for certain now, THIS is the best treasure. Boots on the ground, then research, research, research, diligence, new friendships, a real persons history being keenly remembered ..........

Not to be a downer here, but I feel very strongly that in THIS case, the 11/7/3 cache could not be found without intimate information about the author of the panel. (Info not on the 'map')

Moral of the story (at least from my perspective) is there is nothing better than helping another realize their legacy (for better or worse) through hard work, and, getting to 'know' that person, long past, in the process. I now "know" John, perhaps better than his own family ..

I'm not leaving the board, good people here and waaaay toooo much to learn. This one new paradigm shift/epiphany won't have me call it quits in 2010. Thank you to all that followed this story and helped along the way.

;D

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mannings said:
Please hang with me on this next post. Likely long.

I had come so far (to the point I "shut my mouth"), then reached frustration. Took a deep breath, stepped back, and "went on with my life." Originally, I had researched J.T. Morse, J.I. Morse, J.T. Moise, etc. etc. ....... and came up with interesting leads (as did B.I.T.). None went anywhere though.

I knew I had cracked the code to a near final level, but what now? I was close, so close, I could feel it. What now? I researched again (for the ????????????????????????????????????? time?????) and finally ..

Let me break here. I have spent countless hours (1000's) on my belly (literally) analyzing, photographing, documenting every detail of this 'rock.' NOW, after all this time, I found THE guy (though obviously passed) that authored it, 100%. THAT, in of itself, was a true treasure to me. (Pause here because I cannot begin to tell you how true that is) I now 'know' this man. Anyone 'get' that????

Then, through tough investigating - time-, I found the LIVING great grandaughter. Wow! I cannot begin to tell you what it was like to be speaking 'live' to a descendent ....... nevermind, can't explain it. :)

Family wasn't, originally, told (by me) of anything 'treasure' related because I didn't want any 'dramatization of facts.' I was told of how (I will simply call him "John") disappointed his family was that he "seemed to be following in the footsteps of his grandfather" (still don't know what that meant, and I don't think they do either). "Even as a child, John was defining his life." (negative implication)

"Gangs from the other part of the states were paying visits regularly." <<<< These are written family histories of a little known great grand father .... I spent HOURS on the phone with two descendent women. Let me say just how truly surreal it was that I had, at least, figured out this much of the riddle .. and it was REAL people. Without being too dramatic, this changed me forever.

In the coming days and conversations, they and I explored John's life. We made some agreements (and they will be reading this thread, I am sure) and they shared many documents (mostly letters 'to' John) they have in the family 'archive.' As I have said prior and will say for certain now, THIS is the best treasure. Boots on the ground, then research, research, research, diligence, new friendships, a real persons history being keenly remembered ..........

Not to be a downer here, but I feel very strongly that in THIS case, the 11/7/3 cache could not be found without intimate information about the author of the panel. (Info not on the 'map')

Moral of the story (at least from my perspective) is there is nothing better than helping another realize their legacy (for better or worse) through hard work, and, getting to 'know' that person, long past, in the process. I now "know" John, perhaps better than his own family ..

I'm not leaving the board, good people here and waaaay toooo much to learn. This one new paradigm shift/epiphany won't have me call it quits in 2010. Thank you to all that followed this story and helped along the way.

;D
Thanks for the ride, chief. Great thread, great fun, and I learned a whole lot myself. I get this warm fuzzy feeling knowing that you were able to hold intimate company with the descendants. It seems like a great way end such an exhausting adventure. One that will stay with you for the rest of your days. The endings of stories decide for us whether or not they live permanently in our memories.

PS. I told you it was a 'John' site ;)

gertie

Greenie
Apr 8, 2010
Mannings, I also have throughly enjoyed this thread. I have learned so much from you and the others that have posted on your thread. Thank you for sharing your adventure with me. Thank you for taking me along. :hello:

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
:hello2: hey mannings, great postings here. i know it made some sore heads (from scratching), but if there was no thrill, no one would try to help. i could'nt help but enjoyed it anyway. thanks for the ride. tenclaw

OP
OP
mannings

mannings

Feb 4, 2006
Thanks to all!! You're really the greatest! There seems to another (at least) "one." Some of you hinted there would be, to say the least. The trail seems to be HOT again, once more. Woooooo-hoooooo!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

(though speculation, it SEEMS this 'map' leads to stuff in a broader sense ....................

emtrescue

Dec 26, 2007
Church Hill, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Question: The circle with the "turkey track with a spur" in it picture - earlier on in this thread - Any way those lines could/would be directional lines - I mean if you place the circle over one of the other pictures with directional lines (I think the ones with the drill hole type markers" they pretty much line up. Just wondering how significant this would be.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, what a lot of info. I know theres more, go get it.Thanks.

OP
OP
mannings

mannings

Feb 4, 2006
Hello fellow dirt eaters.

I hope everyone has been awesome. Just thought I'd stop in for a hello and a bump. :laughing9:

KCarlson

Greenie
Feb 16, 2019
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow dirt eaters.

I hope everyone has been awesome. Just thought I'd stop in for a hello and a bump. :laughing9:

Nice thread Manning, I'm in SW Utah as well, maybe we could share some secrets that hide all over this County.

weekender

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas-River Valley-Ft. Smith
Detector(s) used
Prism V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best advise is to watch for drill holes on this one.
They will be a determining factor to finding this one.

The drill holes will give you distance and direction,
don't laugh it's true. Depth X width = distance
notch= direction
letters= numbers (added together =total X pii)((Pii =3.14159)) equals compass bearing (see Historical change in Magnetic Declination over time. ) to get the true compas bearing.)

Not trying to be cryptic boys and girls just giving a recipee that works now as well as it worked in the 1800s when it was used.

Worth remembering

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread