Old Hand Dug Holes Found And What Took Me There

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learning how you decoded the signs and symbols on the trail would be VERY good educational information for us newbies.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dsty said:
Right now my plate is Full, some of the stuff that was found is in the Texas State Museum in Austin, just the trail is what I am speaking of, from where I started to where the hole is at.

That's what I'm interested in. The first lead or symbol that got your attention; then each step on the trail; what each symbol was and how you deciphered it, etc. PLEASE, take us by the hand and walk through your search. WHAT you found is not important here; how you trailed it IS. You know the old saying that the hunt is the "thing". That's where the fun is. The target can be anticlimactic.
Thank you in advance.

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
Dsty

Guess you will have to put a little more bait on the hook to get the response you are looking for.

Oddrock

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dsty...Great to see you posting again....Please continue with sharing your experiences with us...Steve

OP
OP
D

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Steve Wilson's book, Oklahoma Treasure and Treasure Tales had a story about something at Spanish Fort Texas being found two miles North on Red River, in present Jefferson county OK, my area of interest was Ringling Oklahoma and found someone in a local hardware store that knew the area along the river very well, he took me and introduced me to local property owners, The Trail started for me at Petersburg cemetery near the junction of Okla 89 and 32 found there was a 10 inch turkey track carved on top of a kneehigh boulder, several carvings in the area had fish, arrows, some led out of the area, two sections was gone over very well, nothing of interest was found untill I searched the knee high boulder and on its side was XX which later turned out to be 1010 paces to a small waist high bluff with X - upside down V - C - tunnel symbol- roman numeral 1X, letter P, My interpretation was Here, something covered, tunnel, crest 110 paces, go to the right, if you go to the right 110 paces it takes you to a sheer drop of about 10 feet, walking around the hill and finding the spot there was a bear head with a collar on its neck looking down and there was where I found the empty hole. Pretty simple and nothing that the Jesuit Priest would leave. This took me about a year on and off to get this worked out. Some of these trails was from leads from printed sources some are complicated some are simple, it was from my desire to learn by putting boots on the ground in known areas to see how thing was done and following known trails, symbols, the first few will be along Red River and will be pretty simple, the more Complicated trails will be along the South Canadian River, this is where things start to form patterns, seems that each 2.5 miles along the north side have a set of symbols and then each 2.5 miles north of that farther inland has another set, if some one wants to follow the line I will start at Konawa 2.5 miles and go East to Jumper creek, go East 2.5 miles and so forth.Different perspective, they did use squares and inside those squares they used triangles to place there cache but inside the 2.5 X 2.5 they will show you rectangles stars crescents and everything else, kinda like putting parts of 3 puzzles in a box sand giving it a good shake, then its your job to sort it all out

OP
OP
D

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Good to hear from you Steve, I'm Trying to get things ready for a pernament move to Amarillo. Stay Safe

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
Dsty,

That should be more than enough bait! Cain't speak for anyone else but I think that should cover "hook, line and sinker."

Oddrock

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dsty:
Your last post is exactly what I was talking about. THANK YOU! And, as the little kid on the cheese and macaroni commercial says, "MORE PLEASE!" Learning the meanings of the different symbols is fantastic, and hearing how a pro puts the symbols together to reach the "target" is thick icing on the cake. Again, I personally am not interested in what was found, who found, it or where. Just HOW the trail was "read". :thumbsup: Well, hearing a hint of WHAT was found would be OK, but definitely not who or exactly where, or when.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
dsty:
Your last post is exactly what I was talking about. THANK YOU! And, as the little kid on the cheese and macaroni commercial says, "MORE PLEASE!" Learning the meanings of the different symbols is fantastic, and hearing how a pro puts the symbols together to reach the "target" is thick icing on the cake. Again, I personally am not interested in what was found, who found, it or where. Just HOW the trail was "read". :thumbsup: Well, hearing a hint of WHAT was found would be OK, but definitely not who or exactly where, or when.
Well, I can assure everyone that I aim to take pictures if I recover anything from the river I am working on. Personally, I get tired of reading that such and such found something blah blah blah and then never get a picture of anything in hole. That's why they're called stories instead of slideshows.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blind.In.Texas said:
Shortstack said:
dsty:
Well, I can assure everyone that I aim to take pictures if I recover anything from the river I am working on. Personally, I get tired of reading that such and such found something blah blah blah and then never get a picture of anything in hole. That's why they're called stories instead of slideshows.

Well, B.I.T., my interest is not learning folks' private info as in how much they find and when. It's none of my business. What I would like to learn is HOW they got onto the trail; the signs and symbols they found and followed; and HOW they deciphered the codes. How much they ( or YOU) bank from a project is none of my business although a hint at the substance of the find would be appreciated.

There are a few people I've followed on the forums who I would not question as to their honesty. Dsty is one of those because someone ELSE I trust told me so.

OP
OP
D

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Thank you all for your support its good to be back Thom, thank you Leroy I was thinking the other day we have known each other at least near to 25 years, Yes SS there is at least 8 and may be 15 that I chased around and there was always an old hand dug 7 foot or so deep, there's defently patterns that was used and it is simple as heck when the original Spanish Priest was just first starting out, I have found three of them. I like maps that's carved in stone, drill holes. Just to be honest with everyone, I feel that I've been so close and there's 2 that may be still there ( no hole ) or it seems that way but I have never found the 1st one, the hand dug holes that I've found are similar to the V or notches you guys post, the notch shows you the direction and what you will find. THERE WILL NOT BE A Carving within a hundred feet unless its the old time Spanish Priest, if its Jesuit they will show you but you better have some good boots and be the have the determination of a bull dog Thanks oddrock for your input, A great big Thank you steve. stay safe

OP
OP
D

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Another one of Steve Wilson's stories that I followed to the end, was south of Oscar Oklahoma about 3 miles S.W. at Ketchums bluff theres a cinder block house that had a large picture window and a wonderful view across the Red River into Texas, The house was build as a retirement home but the rattle snakes was so thick the folks had to move, or as local legend speaks. There was a outcropping off the bluff that had an arrow kinda like if you hit the stone with an hatchet no feathers just seven hack marks in a row about 16 inches long with 2 hack marks on either side to make the arrow head,and a single hack mark about middle ways of the arrow and below the line representing ( I found out later indicated one league up river ) after several trips I found a found a man that lived in the area by the name of Skinner, the took his deer rifle with scope and we found that the arrow pointed across and up river 2.5 miles, he grew up on the south side of Red River and told me how to drive to the area, that at the spot was a 10 inch long cross that pointed back down river 100 paces the cross had a broken arm on its left side indicating stay to the right at 100 paces, after following the directions there was a huge boulder and going around to the back side was a 4 ft high doorway that opened up into a 10 foot across round room it had an old oak support that was still in pretty good condition about a foot thick, I talked to the forman of the ranch and he said that when his dad was forman there was an old man that had a found a copper mine down there and had carried out enough copper ore to fill up part of a box car and had it shipped to Denver and got enough out of it pay for the shipping cost. I think the old man found a vault and emptied it out. The first story North of Spanish Fort was $75,000.00 silver coin, a layer of burlap a layer of coin a 3 foot long brass cannon, pieces of armor, several old manuscripts all found its way to the Texas Museum in Austin Texas the date was 1880/1882. Another mark go to another mark short distance and there it is. Old Spanish Priest stuff easy

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, dsty.
I'm saving your stories to file, if you don't mind. This is the "good stuff" that not everybody shares. I have a couple of questions.
First--The 10 inch cross that "pointed back down river 100 paces." Did you use the cross' body as a sighing line? In other words, how did you figure the 100-pace information?

Second--Back to the first sign (the arrow type figure). How did you figure that the cross piece hacked across the arrow meant 1 league? Or "1" of anything?

Thank you for your time.
Bill D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread