Coincidence or Purposed ? Check this famous rock

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
No, you gave one obvious photoshopped example and one example where no one knows when it starting looking the way does to make your points on. The rest is just your opinion, in which you just tried to dismiss solar alignments on specific sacred days as being random.

These are worldwide, ever heard of Newgrange where 1000's of people gather every year to witness the light shining into the tomb on the winter solstice sunrise? There are many more, you don't need to build a shopping mall next to one for it be real.

I'm not sure what your main reason is or why you even bothered but I can only guess with 9000 posts, a gold coin in your avatar and a couple banner finds, I bet you don't like the feeling of being belittled in your finds or people entertaining the fact that there are much, much greater things out there than you are aware of.

Edit: "inifinte spots?" no, you don't know how the solar stuff works.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
No, you gave one obvious photoshopped example and one example where no one knows when it starting.....

Sure they're just 2 examples. I agree. But I have the funny feeling that no matter how many examples someone could give you, that they would all summarily be dismissed. No amount of examples will show the believer that treasures aren't necessarily connected with symbols and un-canny landscapes, cryptograms, etc.... Each example will be dismissed as "just that one" or "just that one" etc....

....I'm not sure what your main reason is or why you even bothered....

The reason is: Because I am fascinated with the way the human mind thinks, when it comes to "treasure". I did a month long trip to Mexico, with a guide who was convinced of multiple treasures. And various "signs" and clues (of the sort of we are discussing here) invariably crept into the conversations. After a month, I became convinced they were all just telephone game gone awry, and persons who watched one-too-many episodes of Raiders of the Lost Ark movies :)

Had a lot of fun though! And found solo coins dating back to the early 1800s. But as for the treasure lores ? I came away very skeptical. And so now, when I read such notions on the net, I become very curious as to how someone of this persuasion responds to counter- points.

.... the fact that there are much, much greater things out there than you are aware of....

Can you refer me to any treasures that were found because of someone deducing signs from uncanny markers ? But from my past conversations with persons , with this challege (who find treasures with un-conventional means), the answer you give will probably be the following :

"We most certainly find big ticket treasures. But we don't post show & tell, or provide proof, because we're afraid of the IRS and thieves "

Was I close ?

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... "inifinte spots?" no, you don't know how the solar stuff works.

Huh ? On the contrary: All day long, as sunshine comes through a window, it will illuminate spots all over that room. Depending on the time of year and time of day, will result in whatever spot the sunshine illuminates. And perhaps the word "infinite" was not a good choice (because the ceiling and certain walls, etc... will no doubt be spared this "sun-spot").

But don't you see that at all times of day, when the sun comes in, it's going to shine through to SOMEWHERE. And at ANY of those spots, all sorts of elaborate theories could be cooked up, compass lines drawn, mathematical equations mused, and so forth.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
There was a guy who posted on tnet a long time ago on who had the guts to post a picture of one his finds. The photo didn't stay up very long , and he is long gone. I may have saved it on one of my old computers, but anyways he followed signs/markers and used electronic equipment, he was with a group of about 4-5 guys who were doing it, the picture he posted showed some small gold and silver bars , a couple giant natural gold chunks on the back of 4 wheeler. I believe he said the take was about 900k or so split 5 ways for two months of work. I personally think the guy was foolish for posting such stuff, you can't have fame and fortune in this type treasure hunting, you'll lose it all.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
There was a guy who posted on tnet a long time ago on who had the guts to post a picture of one his finds. The photo didn't stay up very long , and he is long gone. I may have saved it on one of my old computers, but anyways he followed signs/markers and used electronic equipment, he was with a group of about 4-5 guys who were doing it, the picture he posted showed some small gold and silver bars , a couple giant natural gold chunks on the back of 4 wheeler. I believe he said the take was about 900k or so split 5 ways for two months of work. I personally think the guy was foolish for posting such stuff, you can't have fame and fortune in this type treasure hunting, you'll lose it all.

I have no doubts that pix and posts come up, of "fabulous treasures found" by un-conventional methods. Heck, look at the main general discussion page of T'net right now, and one such "fabulous treasure" is not only shown in pictures, it's shown in video ! It's supposedly the Yamashita treasure. And look at my reply there.

And let's just grant for a minute, that someone DID find a treasure by these unconventional means you espouse. Here's what I would say is the real method at play:

The TH'r sees a likely looking spot (cellar hole, ruins in a ghost town, etc...). Or perhaps he's researching a known tip (eg.: "great grandpa was said to have buried his gold here somewhere on the farm"). So the TH'r goes there , to an already suspect spot (even if only subconscious) and starts looking around. Then ... using your own type thinking, is BOUND to see various "clues" and markers, etc.... (even if they mean nothing and are random). He takes out the metal detector to "pinpoint". Digs 1000 holes, and presto, finds a goodie.

In his mind's eyes, the un-conventional method was what did it. Right ? Whether it be dowsing rods, cryptograms, un-canny rocks, etc.... The fact is: If you dig around enough likely looking ruins, and dig enough holes where your metal detector beeped, THEN SURE: you will eventually find a goodie or cache or whatever.

History is filled with stories of accidental discoveries of treasures. Eg.: farmer plowing a field, house being demolished, lady digging in her garden, etc... Right ? SO HOW MUCH MORE-SO will the TH'r who is out there looking long and hard (metal detecting, digging scores of holes around likely looking spots) will ALSO find goodies.

So even if eventual un-deniable treasures are shown, I'm not so sure that I would "of necessity" connect the un-conventional methods someone is using.

Because I can show you a million "un-canny" and wierd shapes on rocks, squiggly lines, strange compass astrology on landscapes etc... that .... you can dig till you're blue in the face, and find nothing. So one day, when someone finally finds something good, then sure, if they're a believer, I have no doubt they can attribute it to un-canny shapes on rocks that ... in their mind's eyes, were "markers". Yet truth be told, similar such "markers" (if they can be called that) exist everywhere, and have no rhyme, reason, or meaning. Other than random coincidences.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Naw, he was following rock monuments straight out of kenworthys books and then using a deep seeking detector near the monuments. He was trying to defend Kenworthy's books a little, which are ok books, but they just give a few general things to look for when you are in the area of something. They aren't specific enough really to go able be to go dig something up.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Naw, he was following rock monuments straight out of kenworthys books and then using a deep seeking detector near the monuments. He was trying to defend Kenworthy's books a little, which are ok books, but they just give a few general things to look for when you are in the area of something. They aren't specific enough really to go able be to go dig something up.

Then .... excuse me for my skepticism, but I'm going to question whether anything was found or not. The link "mysteriously disappeared". You never saw the treasure, right ?

Go look at the current general discussion page thread on Yamashita treasure supposedly found. You'll even see a youtube video. Yet look down the list of replies thus far (not only mine, but multiple others). What do you see ? You see doubt as to the authenticity of this being anything more than a hoax. Like to attract investors, etc....

So what I'm trying to tell you, is that there are ... no doubt .... lots of pix and videos of supposed treasures. But if you or I ever go to try to independently investigate and authenticate them, guess what will happen ? The video will disappear. The treasure finders will remain anonymous and offer no proofs. No one ever ever verify.

Oh sure, I know it'll all be written up to a conspiracy (the villainous govt. stepped in and took the treasure, or whatever). Or the guys pulled their own video "because they feared the IRS and thieves", etc.... So all you have to go on is someone's fabulous story , eh ?

However, go to T'net's Today's find section , and best finds section. See the type stuff being posted ALL THE TIME by md'rs. Some stuff that's even quite valuable. Why are they not afraid of posting their show & tell, to get their well-deserved "atteboys" ? To this you'll probably say that that's because their caliber finds are low-budget low value finds , eh ? (eg.: singular coins). But don't be so quick to think that. Look again and you will indeed see caches there, of md'rs not afraid to post. And so too is history riddled with caches found (in England for instance, they've popped up time and again, and are studied by the museums now, etc....).

That's why I don't buy the 'IRS' and "govt" and "thieves" line of logic, for lack-of-proofs. There's no shortage of others posting their stuff, and stories making their way into news, museums, etc.... Why not the un-conventional guy's treasures? Why can't there stuff be verfied or seen ? All just a big conspiracy ?

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
He wasn't trying to attract investors, but like I said before I investigate that sort of fraud stuff. I tracked him down a long time ago, but It's been a long time I don't remember his real name or anything, but it would be pretty unethical anyways to give it out now or repost any of his pictures, he obviously had second thoughts. His buddies were probably pissed he posted pictures on an open forum. If you were online when he posted it, well then you saw it, if not, then you're out of luck. I think he left it up for like a day or two , it wasn't very long, and then he went back and deleted everything.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, speaking of the irs, gov, etc, I recently bought a mining claim specifically because it has these markers that are talked about. Anyways long story short in the mining claim laws it specifically states "no loose ore or bullion" , apparently that belongs to the government. Why would it state that?

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sure hope they do not charge to see the "Kennedy" rock because I saw nothing that even resembled JFK...not even a little bit. I have a very vivid imagination and I still can not see anything there other than a lava flow. Were these folks using drugs or something? I mean...seriously.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
He wasn't trying to attract investors, ....

Perhaps on that particular thread or story, "investors" wasn't the motive. But consider the following true story, that can be a clue to motives of making stuff up:

In our metal detecting club meetings, there was one particular fellow who came in each month. And at each month's show & tell portion of the club, he always had a choice seated quarter, or silver dollar, and even a gold coin now and then ! Everyone was awestruck by his finds! And naturally, people "chummed up to him" trying to get him to reveal his hunting site (so that perhaps he'd invite others along, haha). No one could ever get him to drop his guard and reveal his hunt sites.

So he continually won the find of the month awards. And was deemed to be one of the top hunters by his peers. Got continual accolades, praise, etc... Hey, hard to argue with choice seated coins and occasional gold coins, eh ??

Well guess what ? One day it was discovered what the guy was doing: He was only hunting sandboxes , tanbark boxes, turf, etc.... all around town. He'd go out every Saturday, and while away 4 or 5 hrs. just accumulating clad. Well go figure, by the end of the month, a clad hunter can accumulate $50 or $70 in clad, right ? So he'd THEN go in to the coin store, BUY a nice seated coin, and bring it to the meeting.

In his mind's eyes he "FOUND" them. Why ? Because he *did* find the clad that allowed him to buy the coin right ? So he did not consider that dishonest or untruthful. Needles to say, he lost all credibility in the club, and was ignored from then on.

But this just goes to show that some people relish the limelight, enough to concoct stories . And when they believe strongly enough in a superstition (dowsing, un-canny rocks, Kenworthy's books, etc...) I would not find it hard to envision that ..... odd-ball stuff like this gets lumped in to the "found" category. Yet which fall apart upon scrutiny.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, there are a lot of unscrupulous people in Treasure hunting community, I have a list of several and a few have been on tv shows even. There are also people preying on the "spanish treasure" type seekers with many gadgets and supposed high tech deep seeking equipment that just doesn't work.
Buy there are a lot of people who have loose pockets and are easy to convince with a few doctored pictures and made up stories. I try to protect others from that sort of stuff when I can, but it always easier to fool someone than tell them they are being fooled.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry for many typos, but I'll try to leave my posts unedited so it doesn't look like I changed a bunch of content, sometimes I don't proof read and leave out words and or mistype letters. It looks unprofessional but hey, it is what it is. I edited one because the equinox picture attachment didn't show up. Talk about paradolia, your mind can proof read what you write and still insert a word without it being there.

Mother Superior

Jan 18, 2017
Quebec city
Primary Interest:
Other
I have looked over this link, and conclude the same thing: Someone "looking for assasins under rocks" . And seeing "treasure signs" in every funny rock that happens to be shaped like a triangle. There is utterly no reason to believe that mountains with un-canny lines (of past rain erosion) have anything whatsoever to do with "Spanish treasures". No more so than the "man in the moon" (un-canny face-shape on the moon) is anything but coincidental:

moon.jpg

Very much possible. However I was under the impression that his knowledge came from experience, that it had been tried and tested. Users that know him presented him as "the real deal", someone who did find/dig up "interesting stuff". I may be completely wrong here though.

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tom, here's something else to think of. Imagine, three thousand years from now, two people are standing in front of Mt. Rushmore. One of them says, "Well, they do kinda look like faces but I don't think they had the time or technology to create anything that big, back in those days."

They would still be able to detect tooling marks somewhere. Even after 3000 years. And if all 4 visages are still preserved, they would be able to argue against "mere" coincidence as well.....

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just a little detour to show one of the best "looks like a face" nature-form I'm aware of. Known as the "Badland Guardian", it can fool somewhat, in an optical illusion sense. In that it is actually a basin, not an elevated area. And of course lighting conditions can change everything. But, as seen in the Google Earth photo, it's a damn good one.....

Badlands Guardian Indian Head ~ Hudson Valley Geologist

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Just a little detour to show one of the best "looks like a face" nature-form I'm aware of. Known as the "Badland Guardian", it can fool somewhat, in an optical illusion sense. In that it is actually a basin, not an elevated area. And of course lighting conditions can change everything. But, as seen in the Google Earth photo, it's a damn good one.....

Badlands Guardian Indian Head ~ Hudson Valley Geologist

I would not be surprised if the "treasure signs/symbols" proponents didn't say that this was man-made. Because it seems that if they grant that some "un-canny" shapes/designs are random coincidences, then they also cast doubts on all the other "un-canny" design treasure marker theory.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It's natural canyons, the hat is wrong anyways, and the big stuff which is way cooler and more bizarre is seen from ground level.

Just so you know, the debunking thing you are getting into was started a long time ago and you will fall into the trap on many things of just saying it's similar to that other picture/video that was 100 percent fraud and made up.. When you have the genuine things looking as natural possible while marking something or at least hiding in plain site, it will be very easy to denounce it as natural. Oh and I know, there are many that see stuff in any picture that isn't really there..

There are many photo-shopped things and stories online that are put there as simple crap photos to undermine anything that has ever been real. It's the same with any subject now a days. You can't tell what is truth anymore and that is exactly how many people want it. Want something to look like a joke? Post a bunch of obvious faked crap on it and portray it as real..
We have always been blinded in many ways and always will . If there is money to be made or something to be covered up to protect a belief, it's like shooting ducks on the pond. Very easy.

So what's real and what's not? I have a hard time finding much of anything online that is real stuff. Sandy1? Real deal. Very rare opportunity for anyone to learn something. His stuff won't likely stay up long. One day he comes back and looks at it all and says...the heck with it , I'll just keep it to myself. Poof* then it's gone.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
It's natural canyons, the hat is wrong anyways, and the big stuff which is way cooler and more bizarre is seen from ground level.

Just so you know, the debunking thing you are getting into was started a long time ago and you will fall into the trap on many things of just saying it's similar to that other picture/video that was 100 percent fraud and made up.. When you have the genuine things looking as natural possible while marking something or at least hiding in plain site, it will be very easy to denounce it as natural. Oh and I know, there are many that see stuff in any picture that isn't really there..

There are many photo-shopped things and stories online that are put there as simple crap photos to undermine anything that has ever been real. It's the same with any subject now a days. You can't tell what is truth anymore and that is exactly how many people want it. Want something to look like a joke? Post a bunch of obvious faked crap on it and portray it as real..
We have always been blinded in many ways and always will . If there is money to be made or something to be covered up to protect a belief, it's like shooting ducks on the pond. Very easy.

So what's real and what's not? I have a hard time finding much of anything online that is real stuff. Sandy1? Real deal. Very rare opportunity for anyone to learn something. His stuff won't likely stay up long. One day he comes back and looks at it all and says...the heck with it , I'll just keep it to myself. Poof* then it's gone.

Huh ? What did you just say? Is there any point in what you said/posted ?

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There are answers to several posts. I just don't bother quoting everyone and everything. You should be able read and understand what's already been posted and figure it out. Or perhaps you have a need to break the post down sentence by sentence in quotes and address each part of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread