Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
That must be it then. Re-read your own post #58, from the perspective of someone trying to read it as straight text. When there is no context as to what you addressing, it seems like senseless babbling with no context.

Can you re-post, points-connected-to-questions/claims, so that I can understand ? I would love to check into it. I am very much interested in the mind-set of those who feel there are treasure clues to be found in squiggly lines on rocks, weird shapes of mountains and canyons, placement of trees, and all-such "Treasure marks/signs" . That is the title of this forum subsection after all.

thanx !

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, I reread it a couple more times and I apologize it is a bit run-on and has couple subjects occupying the same paragraphs.

Maybe I'll expand on it more tomorrow.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, I'm back. Having read it all again, and thinking over your comment:

-" I am very much interested in the mind-set of those who feel there are treasure clues to be found in squiggly lines on rocks, weird shapes of mountains and canyons, placement of trees, and all-such "Treasure marks/signs" ."

I have decided to leave it just as it is. Perhaps the mystery of not understanding my post will encourage your continuing effort in your personal endeavor of taking up the study of such an odd treasure hunting mind-set.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... I have decided to leave it just as it is. Perhaps the mystery of not understanding my post will encourage your continuing effort in your personal endeavor of taking up the study of such an odd treasure hunting mind-set.

No. On the contrary. It just confirms my suspicions that it's overly active imaginations, that watched one-too-many episodes of Raiders of the Lost Ark. That can not be substantiated (shown examples of solved treasures, etc....) by logical deduction and reasoning. But thanx for the feedback !

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Quinola' I do agree with you, I have found that for a symbol to qualify as a Spanish symbol it will be carved in such a manner that there will be no doubt as to - who - There are others that will be Trail Markers, lay out of sections of land square league, It would probably take me all day to list them all because I'M just slow, squiggly lines as a rule will be Indian and some that are Hidden in confusion type and only the only person doing the carving knows for sure, some are natural, Spanish DO carve small symbol and there is a reason, the person doing the looking needs to qualify it, I have seen Maps carved in a 4 inch square that that covers Leagues, I do agree that Lots are natural and should be discarded and I do believe that some folks enjoy jerkin your chain,

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Quinola' I do agree with you, I have found that for a symbol to qualify as a Spanish symbol it will be carved in such a manner that there will be no doubt as to - who - There are others that will be Trail Markers, lay out of sections of land square league, It would probably take me all day to list them all because I'M just slow, squiggly lines as a rule will be Indian and some that are Hidden in confusion type and only the only person doing the carving knows for sure, some are natural, Spanish DO carve small symbol and there is a reason, the person doing the looking needs to qualify it, I have seen Maps carved in a 4 inch square that that covers Leagues, I do agree that Lots are natural and should be discarded and I do believe that some folks enjoy jerkin your chain,

I looked long and hard through this post, to see if there were any finds to substantiate the "symbols" theory. Alas, none. Just theories.

So, ok, I'll bite: What treasures have you found ? Where you were led-to-find-them by interpreting clues, symbols, carved treasure maps, un-canny trail markers, etc.....

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Tom, The Spanish Got what they could, The K G C got part, The Feds got the rest, Its not hard to figure, 6000 Tons of gold in Fort Knox. Crown Jewels, I really don't know where it went, not hard work for a third grader. I'm spending my time trying to get the trails, system's worked out, just following old trails is my thing

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom, The Spanish Got what they could, The K G C got part, The Feds got the rest, Its not hard to figure, 6000 Tons of gold in Fort Knox. Crown Jewels, I really don't know where it went, not hard work for a third grader. I'm spending my time trying to get the trails, system's worked out, just following old trails is my thing

dsty, I'm studying your post hard for any proof-in-the-pudding of results. And .... as usual with these stories, there's "tons of gold", there "crown jewels" etc.... But .... no treasure that any one from this Th'ing method can point to as results. So I'll bite: Have you ever found a treasure with the treasure symbol trail system ? That you were led to by deciphering un-canny landscape clues ?

As for the "KGC & Feds got the rest", .... are you referring to the shadowy underworld, or bid bad govt. stepped in and foiled some treasure hunt of yours ? Please elaborate.

thanx !

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps I can be of service. While the statute of limitations may be 7 years the
irs is quite different. Screenshot_20170317-222254.jpg

Mark60

Oct 22, 2015
S/W MO
Detector(s) used
an old radio shack model
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you know just because no one has come forward to let the world know what they may have found, which I for one would not, to just dismiss something because you dont agree with the practice or theory is close mindedness, with that mindset dousing is junk witchcraft, adventurers would have never left home and the world would still be flat, I've read the posts from members here they've explained it as best they could but it still gets debunked and dismissed as junk theory it, maybe you should actively try to join someone an see for yourself, if not let it go an move on, not trying to piss anyone off just expressing my opinion

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Thanks Mark, I think that his name Was born in texas, when actually he( WAS ) a school teacher that started in Peteau Okla spends most of his time scratching himself. Don't think the mod's would pass what I really think about him. Thanks for the video Lost Horse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Perhaps I can be of service. While the statute of limitations may be 7 years the
irs is quite different.

Ok, so if I'm understanding you correctly, treasures have been found via the "treasure symbols method". But those that found them will not "show & tell them", because they fear the IRS. Right ? So no proof-need-be-forthcoming. The results can never be viewed. But rest assured it's totally sea-worthy. Right ?

you know just because no one has come forward to let the world know what they may have found, which I for one would not,....

Right. So it's not that you haven't found treasure . Right? It's just that you wouldn't show it off.

Oddly, md'rs "founds" forum have NO SHORTAGE of show & tell. Yes .... even valuable ones. But rest assured you (and those that subscribe to treasure-symbols ) have definately found them. They just don't show them. For fear of the IRS and thieves. Right ? Not sure why the md'ing crowd doesn't fear the same things. But I can guess the reason is: that you've found "big game". Not "small game" fumble fingers losses. Right ? But we can rest assured that they've been found via treasure-trail-symbols @ un-canny rocks. But there will never be any examples. D/t the pesky big-bad IRS. Right ? I understand.

.... to just dismiss something because you dont agree with the practice or theory is close mindedness,....

"Close minded". The go-to name-call when you can't answer a logical challenge. Right ? Doesn't deal with the critical analysis. And .... oddly ... works both ways. What I mean is, so too can those that are skeptical (don't believe in your methods) likewise call you "close-minded" for failing to believe in their methods too. In other words, you are no less "close-minded" as someone else. EVERYONE has their "point of view" . Truth, by definition IS "close-minded".

.... adventurers would have never left home and the world would still be flat .... ,....

This is the obligatory "go to" statement by those espousing un-conventional means of TH'ing. When they can't substantiate it via logic, they will invariably go to the "scientists once thought the earth was flat" argument. It will justify ANYTHING. In other words, no theory (no matter how insane, impossible, lacking logic, or non-scientific) must be deemed "true". Why ? Because "science once thought the earth was flat.

Example: I can use the same line of reasoning to justify a tennis shoe covered with peanut butter, as a treasure finding devise/method. If you dare say "that's silly, it won't work". All I have to say to you is: "Science once thought the earth was flat". Get it?

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Mark60, I've done posse hunts for several persons who hid, then couldn't find something later. And in those cases (and cases of caches that I know of being found), there was very little "rhyme or reason" to the landmarks they might have chosen. Ie.: the fixed object (tree, rock, chimney, fence post, etc....) was not something "un-canny". So in actual real life, the notion you are advancing doesn't seem to hold enough merit to make it ..... as if those "un-canny" things are more-likely to be "treasure hiding spots".

2 examples come to mind (they're just examples, and I know that no 2 caches are alike):

a) I was called out by a realtor, who was preparing to sell a house. The elderly man who owned the house, was well into his 90s in age. In a convelescent home. No longer able to carry on conversations (ie.; advanced dimentia). But a few years earlier, when he still had some of his wits about him, he'd told his adult daughters that he'd buried jars of silver coins on the property. They didn't put much stock into it, and ... at the time, assumed he'd get better and head on home. But his condition only got worse, and pretty soon, a few years later, when they'd ask him "Dad, tell us again what you were saying about buried money?", the man was just too far along in dimentia and old age.

The house was going up for sale, and the daughters told the realtor the story. They rented a metal detector, walked all around, but .... didn't know what the heck they were doing (never operated a detector before). So they searched around for an experienced hunter, and were referred to me. I agreed to go check the property. We had only a few clues to go on, and that was the recollection by the daughters that it was on a "certain side of the house", "near a wall", etc...

I was able to find it. Simply at the base of a wall, beneath a window. Nothing out of the ordinary or unusual or uncanny, etc....

b) Another time I got called to posse hunt for an individual who said he'd buried a plastic tub full of gold coins at a buddy of his' house back-yard. Apparently he was in the midst of a divorce 10 yrs. earlier, and had wanted to hide some coins, "till the heat was gone". He didn't want this nest egg around anywhere near him, so he asked a buddy if he could please bury this at the other guy's house. The 2 men went out in the guys large backyard (a few acres) and chose a spot near the fence to bury it. The purposefully picked a prominent bush, and made mental note , for future sakes, where it was.

But as the years progressed, the homeowner did various yard work. Bushes and trees grew up during 10 yrs., such that .... what might have, at one time, been a "prominent" bush, now there were all sorts of trees and bushes (the man was a green thumb gardener, so it was not unusual for him to plant, prune, etc...).

After 10 yrs, the guy can back to dig up his gold coins. But now.... it seemed that EVERY bush "looked the same". They dug countless holes at what they thought (based on their mental recollections of 10 yrs. earlier) was the spot. To no avail. So they hired me, and I went out and found it for them

Point in each of these cases, is case examples of human nature that .... no ... you don't necessarily seek out "un-canny" spots to hide something. Any fence post, base of a chimney, etc..., tree, etc... suffices.

I have several more posse stories with the same conclusion. And know of caches found in my area, that were simply the result of someone digging a hubcab signal (they thought was about to be large junk), but with no correlation to anything un-canny as far as rocks, squiggles, signs, maps, etc..... I was a part of a "tame" cache, which was simply buried in the floor of a barn. No markers or anything that we could deduce in retrospect . Aside from perhaps the person who buried it, might have simply done it "next to such & such post", etc.... Nothing mysterious or un-canny.

I've been wanting to ask about this post because it's interesting to me. The two recoveries you describe would probably not have been made without a metal detector. The people who buried the gold and silver used one landmark instead of several that could have been shown on a map with any relevant instructions, such as, walk 50 steps north from the rock that looks like a peacock. They didn't organize the site, so they couldn't find what was hidden. I would guess that you set up grids and covered each one until you made the recovery. If the people who hired you had told you that they think the gold was buried somewhere between here and that mountain, ten miles away, you might not have taken the job.

You have made a lot of posts and I don't have the time to look through all of them, but I'd like to see pictures of the two caches you recovered and maybe you can give names and locations, as well as the history of the guys who made the caches. I'm not being sarcastic, I have an interest in the history. There might be more there. Thanks.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... If the people who hired you had told you that they think the gold was buried somewhere between here and that mountain, ten miles away, you might not have taken the job.....

Well, of course. That's simply too much acreage.

But for those (heirs of a deceased, of someone who know can't remember an exact spot, etc...) who called me out, it probably wasn't that the hider DIDN'T "pick a landmark" (by which to remember it by). I'm sure that they DID "pick a landmark". But all I'm trying to point out is, that contrary to fanciful thinking, it didn't necessarily have to "be something un-canny".

.... I'd like to see pictures of the two caches you recovered and maybe you can give names and locations, as well as the history of the guys who made the caches.....

I can think of about 5 commissioned hunts that I've found. And was a part of a broke-open one that'd been scattered by tractors over an acre or so. But as for the two I gave in the example here:

The one for the elderly man (dimentia) , I only met with the realtor, who had arranged to meet me at the house. After about 30 minutes, I found an approx. foot-long section of PVC pipe (6" diameter ?, and about a foot long ?) with plastic screw on caps on each end. It was filled with silver coins.

I whipped out my cell-phone camera to take a pix, but my phone battery had just gone dead ! So I asked the realtor lady if she would please take a pix, and email me with it later. She agreed, and snapped a few photos. But she never sent it ! A week or so later, I tried contacting her to remind her. Left a message or two. Never heard back. I suspect that ... legally .... she got the willies perhaps ? I dunno. But it sort of left a bad taste in my mouth. They paid the agreed upon price for my time, which was no problem (I just enjoy hunting, and don't mind helping folks). But we md'rs also like to record our exploits with photos, yet I had no photos to show for this. So .... I have no photos of that one.

As for the 2nd example, yes I got pix. I'd have to dig to find them, as that was years ago. There were about 50 to 70 gold coins, all in individual plastic sleeves, then punt into a tupperware type container. Similar to this:

s-l225.jpg

I'd have to dig around to find the pix. It was found in Carmel Valley, CA

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Another recovery that comes to mind: A man in his late 60's from Corralitos (near Watsonville) CA got referred to me. A week earlier, his older brother (who'd been in his 70s ?) had passed away. In the days before he passed, he was in the hospital. Not doing too good. The younger brother had been alerted, and hopped on a red-eye immediate flight to come to CA to visit his ailing brother. Jumped in a rental car at the airport, and rushed the final 50 or so miles to get to the hospital. As the two chatted, the older brother was telling the younger brother about the gold and silver coins buried at his house. At the time, the older brother was all hooked up with much medical equipment and drifting in and out of consciousness. So the younger did not pay much mind to this ramblings. And told the older brother "not to worry. You'll be getting better and going back home in a few days" (just to give his brother hope).

But that night, the older brother passed away. They two men had had a sister who lived only 20-ish miles away. When the surviving brother and sister started comparing notes, they realized they'd both heard the same claims. So they started taking it seriously. They searched the house from top to bottom and found thousands of dollars in cash. And various tins and trays of collectible coins. But as for the claims of buried coins, that's where they called me in.

We ended up finding 4 or 5 cookie jars, each FILLED with silver coins (all just common walkers, washingtons, dimes, etc...). The jars were randomly placed around the yard, with little-to-no rhyme or reason (nothing un-canny about any markers or placement). Never did find any gold. Even though the deceased man had distinctly mentioned "gold". And the coin dealer store that the man had done business with, said he'd sold the man many gold coins over the years. Yet all we found were silver !

I only had 2 days to hunt. Because the man who hired me was slated to hop back on a plane, and fly back to his home state. And his sister was slated to take over the parsing out of the house and the estate after that. We tried and tried to get the sister's permission to keep hunting for more, but to no avail.

I do have pix of the cookie jars of coins. But would have to dig around for them (no pun intended).

I was/am not too excited about "commissioned" hunts. Because, like all of us, I'd must rather find a "wild" one, than a tame one. The only reason I bring up various examples from my >40 yrs. md'ing, is to show that human nature doesn't always pick some sort of astounding un-canny odd "sign" or "marker".

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Thanks. Those are good stories. The one about the pipe reminds me of a story one of my friends told me. It's a third hand story so I can imagine the cache gets bigger with each retelling. My friend lived in an old school house in rural Illinois, that he rented from his brother in law. When his brother in law was cleaning the place up, he found a pipe half buried in the yard with a couple feet above ground with a cap on the end. He got the pipe out of the ground and it turned out to be about 8 feet long with the other end capped also. The pipe was real heavy and he could hear something moving inside the pipe so he busted off one of the caps and found the pipe was full of silver coins. I don't know if it was a tall tale or not, but I always check out any old pipes I find when I'm out in the sticks.

Here's one that I know is true because I was there. My Grandparents lived on a farm and sold a lot of produce during the summer. Grampa used to get his money converted to silver and put it in fruit jars so he could bury it around the farm. He used the technique you describe. He picked out places that he used everyday and hid his money there, under the slop bucket outside the kitchen, behind the outhouse, the corner post of the summer kitchen, the barnyard scale, places like that. I even saw him digging a jar of silver out of a barrel of hog feed one day. Grampa used to like to party on Sundays, so I can imagine there are a few jars buried that he forgot about.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quinoa you're absolutely right! Personal experience, took a lot of finds relics and gold to do a presentation at a Boys Club. Two weeks later my place was broken into and a lot of stuff was missing. Another example - A friend was taking huge amounts of fire opal to the local rock hound clubs to (in his words) show off a little. He was broken into later, but he was smart enough to store his material somewhere other than his house so he lost nothing except his spare change jar. And I'll bet there's a lot of others out there that learned the hard way to "Dig it up, put it up, and shut up" Ego and showing off is all well & good until it costs you finds no matter how big or small.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Quinoa you're absolutely right! Personal experience, took a lot of finds relics and gold to do a presentation at a Boys Club. Two weeks later my place was broken into and a lot of stuff was missing. Another example - A friend was taking huge amounts of fire opal to the local rock hound clubs to (in his words) show off a little. He was broken into later, but he was smart enough to store his material somewhere other than his house so he lost nothing except his spare change jar. And I'll bet there's a lot of others out there that learned the hard way to "Dig it up, put it up, and shut up" Ego and showing off is all well & good until it costs you finds no matter how big or small.

boogeyman, I'm sure there are horror stories as you describe. So too are there OODLES of break-ins, robberies, muggings, etc... that have no correlation to anyone having-done show & tell. So it's not a "given" that the stories you allude to were, of necessity, because someone did show & tell.

Think about it: MD'ing forums are FILLED with show & tell. It's part of the fun after all. To vicariously live in each others cool stories, see each other's finds, brag a little, etc... Like for a golfer: what good is a hole in one if you can't boast a little to your golfing buddies ? Or to a snow skier : If he can accomplish a rare triple back-flip, he HOPES it was caught on camera, so that he gets his well-deserved "atteboy" from his ski buddies. It's human nature. That's what sports is all about for pete's sake: The human inclination to compete and pace ourselves with each other.

And when you look down the lists of md'ing forum "finds" sections (even valuable stuff at times), I highly doubt any of them had subsequent robberies because of them. Sure, none of us throw caution to the wind. But on the other hand, it's possible to worry too much.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman, I'm sure there are horror stories as you describe. So too are there OODLES of break-ins, robberies, muggings, etc... that have no correlation to anyone having-done show & tell. So it's not a "given" that the stories you allude to were, of necessity, because someone did show & tell.

Think about it: MD'ing forums are FILLED with show & tell. It's part of the fun after all. To vicariously live in each others cool stories, see each other's finds, brag a little, etc... Like for a golfer: what good is a hole in one if you can't boast a little to your golfing buddies ? Or to a snow skier : If he can accomplish a rare triple back-flip, he HOPES it was caught on camera, so that he gets his well-deserved "atteboy" from his ski buddies. It's human nature. That's what sports is all about for pete's sake: The human inclination to compete and pace ourselves with each other.

And when you look down the lists of md'ing forum "finds" sections (even valuable stuff at times), I highly doubt any of them had subsequent robberies because of them. Sure, none of us throw caution to the wind. But on the other hand, it's possible to worry too much.
Yes Tommy you should be sure! What I stated was first hand fact that either happened to me or to friends & hunting partners. Who said anything about muggings!?!? No it's not a given. Those are you twisting things. Nope no scientific studies or double blind tests, just good ole fashion been there done that experience. Just passing on experiences that'll hopefully help others avoid going through the same. Nope! don't worry a bit. I'm sorry you've got nothing better to do in life than sit around turning everything into a dispute. Thanks for playing!

Now, the experiences I've posted have happened to me and people close to me. My intent is to make a statement why a lot of people that cache hunt & have made big finds don't post up their finds. Hopefully they'll think about their safety. There are others out there that feel they don't have to prove anything to the Tommies out there, our egos don't need constant massaging. Be safe & use your common sense!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread