Do you detect in the rain?

What is the maximum amount of rain you would hunt in?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello all,,,
It looks like if I'm going to do any detecting this week it will be in the rain.
The forcast isn't look'n too good around Indy. Local Forcast:http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?CityName=Indianapolis&state=IN&site=IND
I've have my machine taped up, my rain poncho in my pouch, and my need-pads wait'n and ready.
I have hunted in a light drizzle before, but because my machine is not water proof, and I tape it up with plastic, I don't want to push my luck, so my maximum amount of rain vote was, "#2 - Light Drizzle." I was just curious to know how many of you hunt in the rain?

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I also vote light drizzle. But I also hunt right after heavy lightning- making sure storm is over with. The ground seems to become ionized from the lightning and makes deeper finds earier to detect along with the wet soil, or a combination of the two.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Sure do! Last three days as a matter of fact. I have some light weight rain gear, gloves and hat and a heavy duty sandwich bag over the controls and go at it. I don't hunt in the rain often, only when I just can't stand to be inside any longer. I generally save my old barns for raining days.....you'd be surprised at what you will find in them.

I always take spare gloves, hat and bags.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
One tip to keep in mind, after you come home take the cover off your detector and wipe it down, otherwise condensation will take over where the cover once protected it.

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hey, Hey, I see most of us that voted so-far will hunt in a drizzle...
Sometimes, I wish I would have gotten a water proof machine just for the rainy days, and the water hunts.
Definitely something I'll have to look into...

Snuck, <( is that a word ), out today between the rain drops they quit just before we got to the site.
Had a little luck with a small silver ring. Posted it in todays finds: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,10522.0.html

Good tip about the coil Stoney,,, My coil is already cracked, I'm thinking it's from the cold weather hunts I went on this last winter.
Glad to see I'm not the one that would go out into the rain to hunt ;D
Good Luck & Happy Hunting~

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a nice storm.......when it starts to clear up.........and maybe in the sprinkle or drizizle that follows.........Get the deeeeeper ones that way.....

Attachments

• fireout.gif
    fireout.gif
    57.1 KB · Views: 575

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
sometimes even in the heavy rain! depends on how bad ive got the itch!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the above dude! ;D

wallycoz

Oct 3, 2004
Biloxi, Mississippi
All of the above and then some!!! My CZ-20 is water-proof and so am I. Went rain detecting this am as a matter of fact. I found all the rain that was their to be found too, I might add ;D.

Wallycoz

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Heck yes. If it is raining I don't have a bunch of curiosity seekers,standing over my shoulder. It is easy to dig and not damage the soil.

Ericwt

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Stingray II, AT Pro and Surfmaster II.
I mostly hunt in the water anyhow. When the rain clouds come I head for my favorite swimming area. If the lightning gets bad I will hunt in neck deep water hoping to make myself a smaller target. I have found it takes a good storm to clear the beach sometimes.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
you may not want to do that anymore charles........since water is such a good conductor for electricity, if it were to strike the water you are in, your a goner,whether it hits you or not.

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Stingray II, AT Pro and Surfmaster II.
Dang, That would hurt like crazy. I wonder how far the current would go from the strike area. Would be me and a lot of fish floating in the water.

A

ARCOMANDPURPLE

I guess I'd have to say "all of the above" in IDAHO all you have to do is blink and the weather changes.......... ;D ;D ;D

S

Steve_Maine

It's one of the biggest reasons I got a BeachHunter ID. When the storms hit the beach, so do I. I swing that thing with a smile while all the tourists are throwing their blankets in the air as if theyre going to melt. ::)

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve_Maine said:
It's one of the biggest reasons I got a BeachHunter ID. When the storms hit the beach, so do I. I swing that thing with a smile while all the tourists are throwing their blankets in the air as if theyre going to melt. ::)
I hear that! I love watching them scurry to their cars. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread