DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, this isnt for me, but for a friend. Their grandfather gave them a Whites Eagle Spectrum a few years back and its seen some use...the battery has finally seen its end and it looks like it could use a fixer upper. I dont know anything about this machine and if theres a possibility it can be restored or not. My friend is really interested in the hobby, but doesnt have a lot of money to spare. It sucks seeing them get frustrated everytime the machine doesnt turn on. They never get a chance to use it. If anyone can help give some info on what they could possibly do without having to buy a completely new machine would be great.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Start by going to the White's website and find the manual and download it if he doesn't already have it.

White's offers a replacement battery pack for C-cell batteries. You could probably take the old rechargable pack to a Batteries Plus and have them install new rechargables and clean the contacts.

That should give you a starting point....

From White's website....

"C" Cell Battery Holder USD $9.95

Holds 4 "C" size non-rechargeable batteries. Can also be used with rechargeable "C" size which requires their own charging system. Backup for 802-5185. Used in mid-range and top-of-the-line models from 1983 to date. Internal contacts should be scraped clean regularly. P/N 802-7113-1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes stick some batteries in and see if it functions. If not check the detectors connectors. Hopefully it will work and then they really have a detector thats better than the XLT though it weighs more and has less programme slots.

If there's audio but no display (or the display is broken into lines or only covers part of the screen) then open the detector up and clean the connectors on the ribbon between circuit board and meter. A slight tap with the reverse end of a screwdriver might be all thats needed to seat the connectors firmly.

I expect the back light to have failed, its a fact of life with Spectrums, but you don't really need one. Most detectors don't have them. Whites can fix things if you really want a light but its not a bulb or anything the whole display unit needs replacing which could be expensive.

Being a top of range detector of its time it will be worth fixing.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As mentioned, the first thing to do is check the contacts. If you look inside the box, you'll see two springy silver tabs hanging down deep inside the battery compartment. Carefully reach in with something (preferably plastic) that will hook on and pull them towards you. Not too terribly far though. Make sure there is no corrosion on the contacts of the battery pack. If it is the rechargeable type, you should go ahead and buy the ten dollar alkaline battery holder. I'd just about bet the detector will work fine after that.
Also as mentioned, if there are issues with the display, you'll have to decide what you can live with. Some lines of missing pixels is fine, but when it reaches the point that you can't read the data, it's time to send it in to White's. There are several service centers around the country, but I prefer sending everything to the mother ship in Sweet Home. Not only can they fix it, but it'll be like a whole new detector, and you'll be surprised at how reasonable they are on price. White's customer service is the gold standard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread