Used MXT, XLT or M6

Afro

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Guys

I've been trawling the net trying to learn about metal detecting and this forum is a real treasure trove right here.
I'm amazed at the knowledge of some of the guys, especially the dealers with decades of experience.

I'm leaning towards a White's machine as my fist MD because of their famous service. But because money is tight and I'm just starting out (who knows I might have terrible MD skills and end up hating it) I am going to get a used machine.

MDers seem to be very reasonable folks because most of the used machines on eBay are well looked after. It's one of my pet peeves, guys who can't look after their tools.

Ebay seems flooded with used XLTs right now and similar machines might go for $300 up to $450 and they all seem to be the same to me??

I'd like to hear your opinion on used MXT, XLT and M6, equally used (say 3 years). What would be the equivalent price level for those machines.

I'm guessing anything under these $ numbers is a bargain, but hey I'm a newbie.
XLT = $350
MXT =$330
M6 = $300

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Afro,The M-6 is a reliable machine,WITHOUT all the bells and whistles,simple,2controls,discrimination,sensitivity,good depth,super ground balance. God Bless HH Chris

OP
OP
A

Afro

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
worldtalker said:
Afro,The M-6 is a reliable machine,WITHOUT all the bells and whistles,simple,2controls,discrimination,sensitivity,good depth,super ground balance. God Bless HH Chris

Hi Worldtalker, so are you saying that instead of the M6 for $300, you would rather take the MXT for $330 or XLT for $350?

What prices would make those 3 machines on a parity?

Would the M6 for $250 be a fairer price?

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Afro said:
worldtalker said:

Hi Worldtalker, so are you saying that instead of the M6 for $300, you would rather take the MXT for $330 or XLT for $350?

What prices would make those 3 machines on a parity?

Would the M6 for $250 be a fairer price?
Afro,Personally I would go with the M-6, [a well kept secret] nice coil selection also.Of the three,whatever one you choose you won't be disappointed,the M-6 is the simplest. I really love mine!!The more you use it the better you get. God Bless HH Chris

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All three are excellent machines. I am partial to the MXT but I do a lot of relic hunting with mine. The M-6 is a coin magnet as well as the XLT. They are all within your price range. Either will work fine for you. Good luck and welcome to the forum and we can't wait to see your finds.

OP
OP
A

Afro

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input guys

I would be proud to own any one of these machines. My problem how much to pay for each when they come up for auction on eBay.

At what price is an MXT a better buy than a XLT?? $50 less?? $100 less??

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Afro,Myself I wouldn't pay more than 60% of new,and I want to see close-up pics,that's me now.Remember these IMPORTANT factors,PATIENCE/PERSISTANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Afro said:
Thanks for the input guys

I would be proud to own any one of these machines. My problem how much to pay for each when they come up for auction on eBay.

At what price is an MXT a better buy than a XLT?? $50 less?? $100 less??
IMHO the M6 or MXT would be a wiser choice all around....the coils on either of those two models are interchangeable with the DFX and V3 models....if you should feel the need to get a top of the line machine down the road all of the accessories you buy for the M6/MXT would be able to be used on the new detector....the XLT coils aren't useable on anything but the XLT (or possibly the prism lineup i'm not sure what freq they run)

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Go with the M6. They run used around 400 used. If you do find one for 250 then gobble it up. The M6 is Whites best kept secret. You don't need a bunch of adjustments to find coins, jewelry and relics. It goes forever on a set of batteries. Plus all the coils work on the mxt, mxtpro, dfx, vx3 and v3i in case you do want to pay more for a machine down the road. Try and at least buy the 5.3 coil for it for most of your hunting.
PS: I'm not saying don't buy the MXT. But unless your going to prospect for gold then the M6 gets the nod.

Oleg_ra9

Greenie
Nov 27, 2011
Russian Federation
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT300, Prizm3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
in settings XLT I could not understand. it is very difficult. Now I have the M6 and the MXT and to make the choice is difficult and the price difference is small.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The XLT is a much more versatile machine than the M6 or the MXT. However, it is a much older design, as well. There are pros and cons to this too. The 6.59 kHz frequency of the XLT has been the work horse frequency for White's detectors for years. While the MXT and M6 both operate at 15 kHz.

The M6 is a real coin magnet, however, if you want to use a Sun Ray probe for pinpointing, you'll want to modify the three way toggle switch so that it locks in pinpoint mode.

The statement that the M6 and MXT both use the same coils as the DFX, V3i, and VX3 is correct. However, the coils that you get with a used M6 or MXT are not likely to work on any of the Spectra series. To do that, you must ensure your coils are 'V rated'. Any new coils you buy that are 'V rated' will work quite well on the M6 of MXT.

I've never been a big fan of the MXT (just personal preference), but I have friends that use that model to very good effect.

The current prices on fleabay for used XLT's is being driven by the same "cult" following of the XL Pro and Eagle II. Yes, they are fantastic machines that are no longer being made, but to pay nearly the same price that a detector cost 20 or more years ago is just nuts. In fact, if you think you might like the customization ability of the XLT, pay a couple hundred more and get the dual frequency DFX.
The introduction of the Spectra three frequency detectors has caused a bit of a glut of DFX's and a really nice model can be had for little more than any of the previous detectors.

As far as price goes, there are just too many variables. If you want a premium detector, you are going to pay a premium price. You want the original box? How about accessories? Quality headphones, or cheapies? Extra coils? Do you care if the control box has scratches?
Also, when looking at MXT, be aware there is a difference between the MXT, MXT300, and MXT Pro. As far as I know, the M6 only comes from the factory with the 950 coil. An MXT with a 950 coil is going to cost less than the 12 coil equipped MXT300. The XLT comes with a 950 coil as well. As I mentioned earlier, you can often score these detectors along with additional coils, such as the 10"D2 for the MXT and M6.

BTW, Prizms operate at 8kHz.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Afro,
As several folks have already sorta said, it depends on what you intend to use the machine(s) for. Also the fancier the machine the steeper the learning curve but the higher end machines have set and go features, factory settings to use and go out and detect, so it sort of makes them like the M6, simple to setup and go. But the higher end machines can do a lot more with "custom" settings/programs.

The XLT is the oldest of all you've mentioned and White's has discontinued it so whatever parts and coils they have is what they have and they may not make more for that machine ever again. I own an XLT, I do not use it enough to really understand how to Best use it BUT there are MANY Custom programs available for it for free right here on TNet. It is a versatile "in the city" machine and at the moment it has a nice coil selection. I have three coils for my XLT: 950, DD and the smallest concentric coil and that selection gives me a broad latitude of machine capabilities.

The M6, MXT and DFX are all newer machines with more parts and accessories available with the M6 being easier to learn. I would tend to tell you to purchase the more modern machine but then I know that many XLT owners would not sell their machines as they can count on them to find the good targets.

For a beginner you will need to learn a lot about metal detecting with any of the machines. The XLT has a lot to learn about it as do the MXT and DFX while the simple M6 still has a learning curve but it is such a simple machine to use that it seems to me that it would make life easier right from the start and then if it turns out that you really like the hobby/sport/addiction then you could move up to another model.

You are correct about White's service It Is Great! I've had them check out my XLT as well as the GMT and their kind service was fast and both machines came back working fine. One other item you should consider with ANY Whites machine is that you can share your stories with Whites and if you have a good story they are likely to ask if they can post the story on their product story site. IF they do choose your story they send you a $100 gift certificate for accessories and maybe other things if you ask them.

Good luck on your choice and once the purchase is made PRACTICE and read the instructions and Practice and build a test garden and practice. 63bkpkr

OP
OP
A

Afro

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK so that didn't go quite as planned. :blob7:

I've lurking on eBay for months now trying to pick up an MXT, M6, DFX for a good price. No luck.

So I stared fooling around a bit, just so as I could bid on SOMETHING at least. Someone lists a DFX for 99c, I could throw a couple of practice bids at that!

Well I got tripped up and overstayed my welcome. I'm now the proud owner of a Tesoro Cibola for $270!

I really wanted an M6!!! Anyway it could have been a whole lot worse and I'm sure the Cibola will find me lots. Just have to start reading and learning all about Tesoros now. At least I'm out the starting gate.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
How much were you willing to pay for an M6? Remember it the operator of the machine - not the machine that has success.

BrianLV

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have gone MXT. I used to use the XLT, the MXT is a better machine all around. The MXT offers a Relic mode, a Prospecting mode, and a coin jewelry mode. I think Tesoro makes some good detectors as well. If you dont like it, sell it and get an MXT, you wont be disappointed.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Don't worry, the Tesoro Cibola is an excellent machine. I sold mine to get an M6 and I miss it once in a while, but both machines are very good.
Just listen to the Cibola and with practice you'll know what you're diggin......

Greg

Dillis

Even if its junk, It's a find..
Mar 11, 2012
Fayetteville, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT and Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother has an MXT. He says its Whites best metal detector hands down. Its actually three detectors in one. He has several other Whites detectors from years past. But the MXT is his goto detector no matter what he's hunting.. Hope this helps with your decision..

MICHIGANJAY

Dec 28, 2006
MI
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT, Equinox, Excal. 10, Ultra 1000
Primary Interest:
Other
I Promise you...I like the MXT alot... but...on the other hand... I have seen some serious results from a friend with the M-6. I think you will find Keepers either way.

Let us know what you decide...
J.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread