06/18 hunt - EXCELLENT day with a MONSTER of a heartbreaker - UPDATE!

Flint-seeker

Oct 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Well, long story shot, I got permission to walk a field in KY today. Per the owner, he walks his 40 plowed acres already and has had great success, but I am welcome to give it a try. This was after walking 3 hours on my own. Flint was everywhere in these fields!!! Chips, flakes and broken spalls...

PLEASE help me ID these (point type and flint). You can't really tell, but I also found the tip of a small celt. It's so darn hard to get a good image with a nearly black rock.

Sorry, no in-situ shots, my wife had my phone (for it's GPS) while I was fillin' my pockets up with goodies. :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

I bet the MONSTER hartbreaker would have been over 6 inches long if complete. The base is NOT ground on it and the sides are still very sharp. I think it's a recent plowing break because you can see how much darker the core of the piece is... Please help me ID this piece especially!

The complete drill and large heartbreaker were literally 2 inches away from one another in the reddish mud of the field. :headbang:

dirtypair.jpg

dirtyhb.jpg

dirtyhb2.jpg

cleanhb1.jpg

cleanhb2.jpg

base.jpg

patina.jpg

cleandrill1.jpg

cleandrill2.jpg

blunt.jpg

old1.jpg

group.jpg

Happy hunting all and thanks for the ID help in advance!

Shane

Upvote 0

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 06/18 hunt - EXCELLENT day with a MONSTER of a heartbreaker!

Nice hunt! that drill is awesome, the big heartbreaker look to be a benton that thing would have been a monster 5 to 6 inches. Good Job.

F

Felinepeachy

WOW what a great hunt you had. You're right, that is one monster of a heart breaker but that drill is awesome! :notworthy:

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dude the rest is out there, that looks just broke, dig for it, lol seriously though i would

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong

ohioaxeman said:
trevmma said:
dude the rest is out there, that looks just broke, dig for it, lol seriously though i would
Thats what i'm thinking! :icon_thumleft:

I'll second that (or third.) Especially since you found the drill next to the point, there could be something cool beneath that dirt.

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac

those are beautiful pieces Au, broke and all. I love the drill. I know you were happy to find such treasures. You know there is more where that came from. Hope you find many more.

OP
OP
Flint-seeker

Flint-seeker

Oct 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio

Thanks everyone! I'm still in shock that I found such a nice piece, even though it was broke in half and I do love that drill! I never thought I'd find a piece that large,even 60% complete!

I may go back and ask to dig in the area I found those pieces, but it's a long drive to get there for me!

Can anyone tell me the flint used in these pieces? I know the heartbreaker and drill are patinized hornstone, but how about the light colored one I'm holding in my hand (picture # 11)? I'm guessing an archaic Beaver Lake?

How about the blunt scraper - what type of material was used for that, flint ridge (picture # 10)? Can we all agree the convex head on this piece may have been used to carve the wooden arrowhead shaft (spokeshave)?

I've got one vote for a benton on the heartbreaker (thanks, choo), does that seem to be the general consensus? If not, what are you thinking?

I ask all these questions because I'm building an online photo inventory and I'm trying to get as much information about each point I find...

Please chime in if you are familiar with the material and point types I found!

Thanks everyone in advance!

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola

Well I suck at Iding but do know thats awesome artifacts ya got there!

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That drill is freakin fantastic!!!
Great hunt!

OP
OP
Flint-seeker

Flint-seeker

Oct 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio

Thanks everyone for the comments and praise!

So, I'm thinking my heartbreaker is either a benton or a large Big Sandy.

What do the experts think?

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007

Shane,
Man you got lucky! Congrats. That drill is really nice. That piece is a large, archaic side notched point. In my opinion that is a perfectly accurate way to type the piece.

The drill is an A-framer for sure.

Chuck

OP
OP
Flint-seeker

Flint-seeker

Oct 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio

ohio said:
Shane,
Man you got lucky! Congrats. That drill is really nice. That piece is a large, archaic side notched point. In my opinion that is a perfectly accurate way to type the piece.

The drill is an A-framer for sure.

Chuck

Thanks for the help, Chuck. Let me know when you are ready to dig the other half up and we'll grab some shovels!

OP
OP
Flint-seeker

Flint-seeker

Oct 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Re: 06/18 hunt - EXCELLENT day with a MONSTER of a heartbreaker! UPDATE!

***UPDATE***

I left this field Saturday and no one was around to see me off. After much debating, I called the landowner and told him about my amazing Saturday find. He was excited to hear about it, as well! (phew - I was afraid he might be angry!) He said he's walked his fields for years and has lots of brokens in a bucket at his house.

I emailed him pictures of the broken heartbreaker and drill and explained how I found them literally right next to one another. I even sent him a google Earth snapshot of his land with an "X" showing the approximate location of where I found them. Here's his reply:

"I will look and see if i have anything that will match it. I will also look this evening for the other piece. It has rained a lot here today so it might show up tonite. If i find it i will give it to you"

Honesty is the best policy, folks.

More updates to come people, stay tuned!

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
hope he has the rest of it

i found a half of a scoria game piece ten yrs ago
my friend found the other half two yrs ago

so keep your fingers crossed

OP
OP
Flint-seeker

Flint-seeker

Oct 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
larson1951 said:
hope he has the rest of it

i found a half of a scoria game piece ten yrs ago
my friend found the other half two yrs ago

so keep your fingers crossed

Thanks, Steve. I certainly hope he does, as well.

I'm still waiting on his response.

Shane

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread