Preform Discoidal Find

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My computer broke this week and I finally bought a replacement. I found this rock last Sunday in the same area as the other discoidals I have posted. It is dimpled on both sides and is worked on the whole diameter. Its about 2.5 inches. Thanks for the view.

Attachments

• 281.JPG
    281.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 574
  • 282.JPG
    282.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 576
  • 283.JPG
    283.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 561
Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

I don't know squat about these things but that definitely looks like an artifact. Cool!! ;D

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
cool find. Since I am fairly new at picking up that kind of stuff, I would have probably passed right over that. But I am learning. People on treasure net have helped me a great deal in determining what is or is not an artifact. I am glad I found this site.

OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies/view guys. I never really had a grip on the pecking thing until I found this rock. Thanks again SRV!

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
That is a pitstone/hammerstone not a discoidal. I find them very often on sites in SW Ohio.

Somewhere I put up a thread a while back. I will see if I can post some pics.

Chuck

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Here are some examples of similar pitstones and hammerstones from my area.

Chuck

Attachments

• pitstonesetc.jpg
    pitstonesetc.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 540
  • pitstonesetc.jpg
    pitstonesetc.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 527
OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This rock has a dimple pecked on both sides and 80% of the edge has been worked also. I only see a couple (Ohio) of round rocks in your pic. Are they dimpled on both sides?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Material looks to be river cobble. I doubt it was on its was to becoming a chunky/discodal or game stone. It looks to be a hammerstone or platform working stone. Most discodals and stuff like that were pretty fine cause they were like money in trade. Here are some..from a musuem.
Yours is still a nice ancient artifact. :icon_sunny:

Attachments

• 100_1384.JPG
    100_1384.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 317
  • 100_1401.JPG
    100_1401.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 307
OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. here is a new pic. All made of the same material.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 276

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ohio said:
That is a pitstone/hammerstone not a discoidal. I find them very often on sites in SW Ohio.

Somewhere I put up a thread a while back. I will see if I can post some pics.

Chuck

Good call. That is a double sided nutting stone/hammerstone/polishing stone. This piece was used in knapping and used to grind the blade edge to prepare for the next strike. They also used this to crack various type of nuts. That is a fine tool you have there. If you look at it you might find a spot that is more polished then the rest. That is how i always find them. The last picture you have another nutting stone/hammerstone to the left and the one to the right is a true discoidal. I would place money your finding these in a certain area. This would suggest a tool making site. You will find more stuff there than just these. Scratch the surface.... In the picture it looks like on the left is the pecking side and on the right is the polishing side. I would need more pictures of those spots to confirm, Nice finds there Keith
..........................GTP(Chris)

Attachments

• 281.JPG
    281.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 280
OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate all views, and replies on this rock. I'll just keep it with the other rocks! Thanks again guys/girls. Posting all new artifacts on treasurenet----.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions