• Haleiwa_015.JPG
    Haleiwa_015.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 482
OP
OP
808beginnerdigger

808beginnerdigger

Mar 8, 2010
07/10/10 - Went back and found this "Smile" bottle. I was talking with the leaseholder of the property while sitting on a boulder at the gate entrance. As I looked down next to my foot I saw the edge of the base just barely breaking the surface.

Attachments

• Smile 003.JPG
    Smile 003.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 423
  • Smile 005.JPG
    Smile 005.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 430

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Under Ground

Howzit 808beginnerdigger! :hello2:

It sounds like you've got permission to work this lot, so you might as well dig a few holes :icon_sunny:

You know that there are bottles under there......somewhere :dontknow:

The problem is figuring out where the best place is to drop a test hole :help:

You could try using surface clues - like the place where you found the Konishi shard, or you could do some probing :sign13:

Now there are lots of different types of probes out there. Some are good for digging, others are good for probing.....

Check out this website for some killer probes: www.tandttools.com

The TPA36 is a good combination probe. You can either dig or probe with it since it's only 3 feet long. :icon_thumright:

For deeper probing you may want to try the TPA48 (4 foot long) or the TPA72 (6 foot long).......

As for myself, I have all 3 of these, but for digging I use a TPA36-X7 (7/16" hex shaft) and the HH36S hook probe (1/2" diameter shaft).

These are super strong and can smash through the toughest iron layer in minutes! ;D

In the picture below you can see them along with a "standard" hand-made probe (3/8" diameter shaft on far right). The TPA36-X7 is on the left and the HH36S is on the center right with the "hook" pointed up.

Attachments

• Tools.JPG
    Tools.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 420
OP
OP
808beginnerdigger

808beginnerdigger

Mar 8, 2010
Re: Under Ground

sodetraveler said:
Howzit 808beginnerdigger! :hello2:

It sounds like you've got permission to work this lot, so you might as well dig a few holes :icon_sunny:

You know that there are bottles under there......somewhere :dontknow:

The problem is figuring out where the best place is to drop a test hole :help:

You could try using surface clues - like the place where you found the Konishi shard, or you could do some probing :sign13:

Now there are lots of different types of probes out there. Some are good for digging, others are good for probing.....

Check out this website for some killer probes: www.tandttools.com

The TPA36 is a good combination probe. You can either dig or probe with it since it's only 3 feet long. :icon_thumright:

For deeper probing you may want to try the TPA48 (4 foot long) or the TPA72 (6 foot long).......

As for myself, I have all 3 of these, but for digging I use a TPA36-X7 (7/16" hex shaft) and the HH36S hook probe (1/2" diameter shaft).

These are super strong and can smash through the toughest iron layer in minutes! ;D

In the picture below you can see them along with a "standard" hand-made probe (3/8" diameter shaft on far right). The TPA36-X7 is on the left and the HH36S is on the center right with the "hook" pointed up.

Howzit Sodetraveler!
Thanks so much for the website... I appreciate all the info and tips I can get. I tried probing the area where the broken Konishi was - the ground was super hard. The only soft areas was closer towards the swamp. Lots of Wild Hogs in that area. You couldn't see them but can hear them in the tall grass covering the swamp area. I had to yell a few times cause they were getting a bit close. There is also a pig pen in the area and the owner (separate lease owner from the one I know) was also feeding the wild pigs. Most of the broken stuff is near his area but NOT on his property.

Thanks Again!.... :icon_thumright:

lldein

Jul 1, 2010
Re: Probes, wifes find

Aloha, This is my first time posting here. I really love this site and have always been a Hawaii bottle fan since I was a little kid. Soda traveler thankyou for that website about probes. I lost my original one back in the 70's and haven't been able to get a good one since.

This treasurenet site rocks and I love to see the awesome pics. :headbang:
Keep the pics coming, I love to drool.LOL
About 2 months ago my wife and I went surface scratching near Paia,Maui at a known dump. I was ahead and my wife yells out "Hey I got a milk!" Honestly I didn't believe her at first but sure enough there it was. The base was barely sticking out of the ground. Her first milk. Unfortunately that is all we found and alot of broken stuff. Pretty nice pint though, too bad it's common.

lldein: John

Attachments

• 000_2009.jpg
    000_2009.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 384
OP
OP
808beginnerdigger

808beginnerdigger

Mar 8, 2010

lldein said:
Aloha, This is my first time posting here. I really love this site and have always been a Hawaii bottle fan since I was a little kid. Soda traveler thankyou for that website about probes. I lost my original one back in the 70's and haven't been able to get a good one since.

About 2 months ago my wife and I went surface scratching near Paia,Maui at a known dump. I was ahead and my wife yells out "Hey I got a milk!" Honestly I didn't believe her at first but sure enough there it was. The base was barely sticking out of the ground. Her first milk. Unfortunately that is all we found and alot of broken stuff. Pretty nice pint though, too bad it's common.

Welcome to the site. Nice find! Most milks I use to find is all "sick". Lately that's all I've been doing is surface scratching hoping to come across a promising new area.

808beginnerdigger: Nate

lldein

Jul 1, 2010

808beginnerdigger said:
lldein said:

Welcome to the site. Nice find! Most milks I use to find is all "sick". Lately that's all I've been doing is surface scratching hoping to come across a promising new area.

808beginnerdigger: Nate

Thanks Nate,
Actually it was lightly tumbled, my wife insisted it be done and I wasn't going to argue about it. LOL
lldein

lldein

Jul 1, 2010
hawaiiandigger said:
Welcome to the site ldein, Hope you guys have great success in your digs. ALOHA (trashfromthepast) :headbang:

Howzit Hawaiiandigger,
I am awed by your collection, mahalo for the welcome.

lldein

OP
OP
808beginnerdigger

808beginnerdigger

Mar 8, 2010
lldein said:
hawaiiandigger said:
Welcome to the site ldein, Hope you guys have great success in your digs. ALOHA (trashfromthepast) :headbang:

Howzit Hawaiiandigger,
I am awed by your collection, mahalo for the welcome.

lldein

You guys got some awesome stuff... Please continue to post pics even if it's not from a recent dig... we like look and drool! Mahalo! (aka B8cast). :headbang:

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Howzit lldien!

I see you decided to use your eBay name like 808KAZ and I :headbang:

I just got back from Oahu yesterday. Mostly just pretended to be a haole tourist with the wife :help:

Found out that if you look enough like a tourist (shark bait!) you can dig a huge hole in the beach right in front of the lifegaurd tower and not get hassled :icon_sunny:

A bottlin friend told me that he had found some BIMAL sodes at that beach (to remain un-named) after a big storm washed away the sand :tongue3:

I borrowed a shovel from my brother and dug down six feet right in the middle of the beach without anyone batting an eye. My wife sat next to me with one of those kiddy plastic shovels and bucket we bought at the ABC Store ;D

All I found was a small patch of rust stuck to a baseball sized rock at about five feet down :icon_scratch:

Oh well, at least I got to try. You can't find bottles if you don't dig.......uh, except for that surface stuff.....

lldein

Jul 1, 2010
sodetraveler said:
Howzit lldien!

I see you decided to use your eBay name like 808KAZ and I :headbang:

I just got back from Oahu yesterday. Mostly just pretended to be a haole tourist with the wife :help:

Found out that if you look enough like a tourist (shark bait!) you can dig a huge hole in the beach right in front of the lifegaurd tower and not get hassled :icon_sunny:

A bottlin friend told me that he had found some BIMAL sodes at that beach (to remain un-named) after a big storm washed away the sand :tongue3:

I borrowed a shovel from my brother and dug down six feet right in the middle of the beach without anyone batting an eye. My wife sat next to me with one of those kiddy plastic shovels and bucket we bought at the ABC Store ;D

All I found was a small patch of rust stuck to a baseball sized rock at about five feet down :icon_scratch:

Oh well, at least I got to try. You can't find bottles if you don't dig.......uh, except for that surface stuff.....

Howzit Sodetraveler ,
My wife and I love your idea about digging at the beach and have a few spot's in mind here on Maui, can't hurt to try! :laughing7:
Aloha,
lldein

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread