Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought a 1850 $1.00 gold coin from ebay, and I noticed on the xterra VDI chart it has gold coins but does NOT list the $1 gold coin. So I tested it to give you the info, it comes in at 8-10 on my minelab x-70, I tried it several times, and it gives 8-10 everytime. Dang those $1 gold coins are tiny! 13mm 0.0484 oz or 1.672grams
just to put that into perspective it is smaller than a dime, which is 18mm :thumbsup:

Attachments

• S6303932.JPG
    S6303932.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,638

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
$1 gold coins were the common pay method for the US military back then.

The soldiers always complained that the coins were so small and easily lost. They also feared them being stolen from their lockers so they carried them with them.

So soldiers lost them by the tons as they had them in their pockets as they were out and about around the barracks and forts.

$1 was a lot of money at one time.....but now...........thank you federal reserve for making out money worthless.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Thanks for the info. I too didn't know they were so small. :o

I don't own a Minelab, at least not yet, so what does 8-10 mean. What other metal gives this same reading? :dontknow:

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:

I don't own a Minelab, at least not yet, so what does 8-10 mean. What other metal gives this same reading? :dontknow:
well a nickel, and pulltab would be about 12 on my detector, and it is below that.........so we talking foil range for this little gold coin!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking Gold coin, I'll have to come over and try all of my detectors on it. LOL. Your coin was made in Georgia, USA. All the small gold coins were made there in the early years, until they stuck gold
in California.

Check this site out, http://www.dahlonegagold.com/

HH, Ringfinder
Denny

P.S.
By the way, since small coins come in so low on the scale, is why so many of them are hard to find, most guys who hunt in discrimination will never find one. Guys who dig all signals have a small chance. I have never dug a gold coin yet, but hopefully I will in the next 50 years, LOL, that will only make me 113 yrs. old. ;D

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had no idea that a $1 gold piece was so tiny. I just always assumed it was close in size to a dime. Your picture is great for comparison. Thanks for posting it.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin would come up as a +12+14 on my DFX on my GT there's no way to know maybe sound like a nickle ?

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
That coin would come up as a +12+14 on my DFX on my GT there's no way to know maybe sound like a nickle ?
should be lower than a nickel, as I sais above nickels on my x-70 are 12, with this being 8-10 could be as low as foil

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some air tests I did for all US Gold Denominations on the E-Trac:

$1.00 - 12-11
$2.50 - 12-24
$5.00 - 12-33
$10.00 - 12-40
$20.00 - 12-44
$50.00 - Don't have one!

One thing worth noting, when I listened carefully to each one, the tones were a little wider than Silver coins.

Hope this helps! HH, Mark

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use ferrous sounds on my explorer and have been wondering what a gold coin sounds like in ferrous but don't have any to test can anyone help me with a description?

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Hey Goes4ever...What kinda depth do you think you can get on that coin with the x-70?

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
Hey Goes4ever...What kinda depth do you think you can get on that coin with the x-70?
not sure if it were buried? with the airtest, I was barely getting 4 inches

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Goes4ever said:
RPG said:
not sure if it were buried? with the airtest, I was barely getting 4 inches

Kinda what I thought. Maybe that's why so few are found. :-\

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
RPG said:

well a nickel, and pulltab would be about 12 on my detector, and it is below that.........so we talking foil range for this little gold coin!
That gold coin would come up on my DFX as +10 +12 or small gold ring

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
They are tiny as fish scales, maybe about as big as my pinky nail. I have 4 at home (not dug, purchased). Can ony imagine they'd get pretty chewed up in some trafficed areas because they are very flexible. Foil seems like the right reply because they aren't much more than foil themselves.

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
Hey, I found one of those on Hilton Head beach the other day but it is silver. I didn't think it was real cause it was so small. Did they make them in Silver as well? Forget the date on mine. Will check when I get home.
scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

KYBourbon

May 24, 2009
White House, TN
Detector(s) used
MXT, F2, F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JohnnieWalker said:
Hey, I found one of those on Hilton Head beach the other day but it is silver. I didn't think it was real cause it was so small. Did they make them in Silver as well? Forget the date on mine. Will check when I get home.
scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

I know this is an older post, but the 'silver' coin you found was likely one of these 'mini' reproduction coins that at one time was 22k gold plated but it appears the plating is gone off of the coin. What you have is a miniature Morgan from all appearances, such as ones seen on Fleabay or here: http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=6060874

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread