1 and 1/2 hour in gravel driveway

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
I have luck with driveways, had about 40 hit's came away with 32 pennies, 3 dimes, 1 nickel, 2 or 3 pulltabs, 1 or 2 bottlecaps. So a good ratio usually it's the other way around. This is my sister and her husband rental home they bout to move in. Nothing major this place ain't all that old. May have a chance to MD a relative in the near future, they been living at the same place since the late 50's. Love to hit their driveway

Upvote 0
M

michigan michael

What do you use to dig in gravel? I have an old fair ground near me that is all gravel and have just stayed away from it because it must tough to get through. Whats your secret? Great find! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Jimmy@romega

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
Most of your finds will be around 1-4 inches I use a hand shovel something used for plants. You be amazed what you will find in graveled parked areas. You ought to give the fair ground a try if it hasn't been hit in years. I just bout guarentee ya you hit a coin after coin around where cars usually park.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I wondered about that. But it would seem to me that anything lost would be right on top.
Packed gravel would be so hard to dig I think a pickaxe would be needed.
Happy for your determination and finds.

Grey

M

michigan michael

Well Jimmy, Got to hand it to you. During the warm up we had here in Michigan, I spent it at a town fair site from the 70's & 80's. This entire site is gravel. The thaw made everything like soup! It was great! Nothing old but coin after coin all day long! I am a fairly new hunter so this was exciting and a great time learning my detector. Thanks for the tip! I would of never tried to detect a gravel site had I not read your post ! :thumbsup:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
White gravel does such a good job of hiding coins, it's always a great clad hunt. Find that dime toss tent if you're at a fairground. Then be prepared to stay on all fours while recovering the loot.

Hey Jimmy, I use a large screwdriver to pry the hard pack away in gravel sites. Does good for me.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
They won't let us into county fairgrounds but have found some coin dumps in the parking area.
Wish could do fairgrounds proper.
Grey

OP
OP
Jimmy@romega

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
My best guess is that when people get in and out of their cars sometimes coins come out of their pockets. And when it hits the ground it just blends in with the gravel. After a few years of this happening it adds up.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
greydigger said:
They won't let us into county fairgrounds but have found some coin dumps in the parking area.
Wish could do fairgrounds proper.
Grey
Same was true here but I've hit a couple of the fairgrounds while the county fair was packing out and the security guys told me alright. The guys who called and asked were the ones in the outer parking areas.
Got 180 dimes in half an hour at the dime toss. The grounds people pulled up in their golf carts and asked how we were doing, not why. They were very friendly.

At another site the guard told me I could hit it until the grounds people got there. When they did I talked to them as I was leaving, gave them some keys I found and they told me I could stick around if I wanted to as long as the gate was open.

But then again I appear more modern.

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Diggin in gravel :icon_scratch: that had to be fun, it would drive me crazy, congrats on the finds kinda made it worth it huh ;D

cw
www.wedigdixie.com

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Never been a fan of digging on packed gravel, but I most certainly will give it a shot this spring. I have a few places I can give a shot at, and still be able to retreat to grassy areas if my patience wears thin.

Congrats on the loot! :thumbsup:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have done gravel....prefer sand and dirt. only thing worse than gravel is johnston grass, can't just pry the coin out....gotta extract it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread