$1 Gold Coin

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hello to you all!

Here's one of my best finds not because of the value but because it is a gold coin. It's one of my good finds that I have left as I lost most of my silver dollars and halves in a theft. This was hid away in another coin bin and I still have it thankfully.

I found it on March 25, 1981. It was the 6th time that I hunted a site that did become a th'ers dream site. I never went to this site and didn't come home with a piece of gold or silver. It had never been hunted and I had permission and full reign of the 600 acres of property. It had been used from the 1920's to the early 1990's when part of it was sold off to a developer of subdivisions and part to the school district and they built a school there. Part is still fields also. I keep the fields in my radar because there is a 5 carat diamond ring that was lost on this property also and a $20 gold piece. Now, these may be wive's tales, but just the chance of finding either of these peeks my interest.

Anyway, this coin was obviously made into a ring. I found an 18kt gold band very close to this coin also. The date is hard to see, but it appears to be a 1855. Maybe I should have the solder removed to be sure??

That particular day, I also found two other 10kt gold rings, 3 sterling rings, 9 silver coins, and 10 wheatback pennies. It was one of my best days ever for quantity of "keeper" finds. A heavenly site for sure.

Here's the pictures. I am happy that I could share this memorable day with you and hope that you all have siminlar luck some time in your treasure searches.

BDoo

Attachments

• Gold coin front.jpg
    Gold coin front.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,533
  • Gold coin back.jpg
    Gold coin back.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,540
Upvote 0

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice find! I thought the date was on the heads side, so not sure what removing solder would buy you unless tails design would help you narrow the date. haven't seen many of these things except in books. great find!

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hi Ocean

The date is on the back in the center of the wreath, right where the solder is. Thanks for the read and friendly comment.
Best of luck to you.

BDoo

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well I looked it up and dah it's one of the few if not only US coins with date on reverse side. I didn't realize this. that coin is a Type II which means it had to be minted from 1854-1856 (which you probably already know). If you have a solder iron - you could probably remove solder enough to see date. Coat around solder with vaseline or oil so solder will not stick to it. Just don't overheat coin or it could make more damage.
1855-c, 1855-d even in VF-20 brings a pretty penny!

any date is a rare find - good luck!

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awesome!! You should take it to a jeweler to have the solder removed.That was one GREAT day.WTG!!

froggy38383

Sep 27, 2005
Thanks for sharing the nice find and the story behind it. Sorry about the loss of your other items through theft. I experienced a similar incident a couple of years ago.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for sharing this with us, Boobydoo.

So you're also one of the elite finders of the elusive gold coin, huh? Very good!

I never have found one (yet) but I did have this very strange thing happen to me back it 1983.

I was hunting a very old park in Western Michigan. I got a signal and tried to dig it. I couldn't find anything so I figured it was just a false signal.

I was filling in the hole when I noticed this very fine line thin piece of what looked like gold caught on my digger.

I then proceeded to round-out the hole and dig deeper but still found nothing.

To this day I still have no idea what happened.

Thanks for your post.

Badger

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hi again Ocean

Thanks for the revisit.
I may got it cleaned up by a jeweler.
I don't trust my work...lol.
Too bad the front is so worn,
maybe this ring was made in 1855
and worn since then??...lol

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hi Froggy!

Thanks for your comment.
Sorry that yours were taken too.
I also lost all my gold rings at the same time.
Probably around 40 of them.
These are what I had left
from selling them off for gold
or giving away the nice wearable ones.
So, not a total loss.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hi Badger.

Thanks for your friendly reply!
Just dumb luck for me to find this I guess.
I hope you find one someday.

I wish I could find the $20 Gold piece on that same property.
I dream about that one...lol.

That's really weird what happened to you with the "golden dig".
I hate to ghost holes. It just makes ya wonder.

Best of luck to you my friend!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hi Art

It's not much...
but it does get me into the Gold Coin Club...lol.

And, since most of my valuable finds were stolen,
it means even more to me now.

Thanks for the comment!

Smiles!
BDoo

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
One more thing, back about a year ago I posted a message about finding gold coins. I don't know if you ever read it. Back then I did some calculations as to mintage of various coins and useage and then did that post here.

The sum of the short treatise was as follows:

I believe there are many more gold coins in the ground than we realize.

HH

Badger

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need to get a SAFE! I just have all this stuff laying around..Even in japan, you have breakins... Thanks for the story and happy you still have the gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions