1 Pengö, a coin weight and a few relics this evening...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a vacation day today, use or lose vacation day and I was not about to lose it, LOL! Woke up this morning to 4” of snow, Argh, I did not shovel it! By mid morning it was in the low 40sF/6.5C and the snow was melting. I had a full day of errands and car inspections, just over $200.00 to tell me I have a few minor problems on the cars, what a maintenance pig this German Audi is, last Audi for me! Got through the day, most of the snow melted off and I had a good hour of daylight left so I went to a grass field I have hunted a lot. About ½” of water lying on the field, it was muddy but I made a few finds on this hard hunted field. Here’s the relics, part of a pewter buckle, an unusual lead button, even the intact shank is lead. Part of a lead seal, a bullet, a 1911 1 Pfennig coin and a musket ball hit by the plow.
23Mar07relics.jpg

The left piece may have been a religious pendant, has some vague lettering on both sides. The right piece looks to be a coin weight with a crown on it, very small, a pea would sit on it with only the corners exposed, 10mm X 9mm and it was a good 4” down and sounded good to the XT70.
23Mar07coinwt.jpg

Dug this coin up and thought it was play money. After cleaning it up I realized it was a real coin made of aluminum. It is a Hungarian 1 Pengö coin dated 1942 and minted in Budapest, mint mark BP just above the date. To the right of the date in fine print is the word “Bepänd”, no idea what it means.
23Mar07Peng%C3%B6O.jpg

Reverse of the 1 Pengö coin. I had a good hour on the field and a great way to end the day. HH, Mike
23Mar07peng%C3%B6R.jpg

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Again! Awesome pics and finds Mike!

I've never heard of the "1 Pengö coin" but I know I can at least find stuff from 1942.

Nicely done!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pengo was the unit of currency in Hungary from the 20's until the late 1940's, when hyperinflation gripped the country after the war. The only way out of it was to change currency to the Forint (which is still the currency today). So your 1942 one was made right about the time the hyperinflation started. When the Forint was introduced, the exchange rate made the Pengo worthless, at about four hundred OCTILLION Pengo to one Forint! The 1 Pengo piece prior to the war was made of silver. I don't have any info about Bepand, except that it probably refers to the banking system, or accrediting system that guaranteed the coin's worth.

Buckleboy

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank's for the pic of the "pengo" Mike....learn something new everyday,never heard of of it.Hopefully the weather should be turning soon.....HH!!

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments and information all! The fine print on the coin looks more like "Beränd". Another person found the same coin awhile back and thought it was a Bingo chip, LOL. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread