10,000 Roman Bronze Coins + VERY RARE RICHARD III PENNY...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems quite fitting that in the year I got 10,000 Likes, we also recorded our 10,000th Roman Bronze Coin today. We have a few more but this is since we started proper record keeping.
The morning started on 2 Roman Sites, soon found out we had cleared them pretty good, so moved to a close-by long shot field where we had a random Saxon find. After proving it wasn't a site, we moved to the field I was on yesterday. Now glad we did.:laughing7: Within an hour Cru'Dad got the Very Rare Hammered.:hello2:

5 Scrappies
1 Livery Button
Jetton
What Is It coin, now IDed as a 19th C Greek 2 Lepta;
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/517882-foriegn-copper-coin.html

Another Will III Love Token!
Hammered Farthing
Richard III Penny, York Mint, Archb. Rotherham. Books (2015) at F - £400, VF - £1350. I've pictured it against the books example, which normally uses the best example they can find. Notice the difference. These coins are always poor & heavily clipped, & Cru'Dad's example is the best I can find on the internet, have a look at what some sold for!:headbang:
A fitting prize for our 10,000th Bronze, although we were hoping for a Roman Gold....:laughing7:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    292.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    286.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Upvote 44

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just discussing that with Dad on the phone, with the demand so high, specimens available so low, its one of the few coins that should end up over book price.
If you do sell(I know you normally don't) this is one that has to go to auction, I think spinks would be interested for a update to the book, they where in mine but it had already gone down to DNW, and it never came back from there so I missed out on it being in the 2016 book.

SS

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do sell(I know you normally don't) this is one that has to go to auction, I think spinks would be interested for a update to the book, they where in mine but it had already gone down to DNW, and it never came back from there so I missed out on it being in the 2016 book.

SS
I'll give it a go.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru, we're so proud of you! Your coin belongs in that book. You should let the writer/publisher know you've found a better example. Not to be nosy, but is Cru'dad your Dad? Or your metal detector or?? 

Congrats on your awesome finds. They always blow us away! -Lisa & John
Cru'Dad is my detecting partner. He copied my hobby.:thumbsup: Funny he never like fishing.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huge congratulations Cru on hitting that 10k Roman milestone. :occasion14: I'm trying to put that in terms of an equivalent US milestone, but the problem is, you make it look so easy... so in fact I have no clue how common it is to find a Roman bronze coin is over there... but you sure seem to find them often :laughing7: So, I'm going to say it must be like finding 10k Wheat Pennies over here. haha Over 15 years, that's an average of over 600 a year. WOW man!

Wanted to add, that Richard III Penny is incredible. I always liked the way the busts look on that hammered British Silver.

Last edited:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That's quite a feat!
I hope your next ten thousand are as enjoyable!
Throughout the whole ordeal you both have found so many more memorable finds that stand out far more but the quantity outweighs the quality today!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge congratulations Cru on hitting that 10k Roman milestone. :occasion14: I'm trying to put that in terms of an equivalent US milestone, but the problem is, you make it look so easy... so in fact I have no clue how common it is to find a Roman bronze coin is over there... but you sure seem to find them often :laughing7: So, I'm going to say it must be like finding 10k Wheat Pennies over here. haha Over 15 years, that's an average of over 600 a year. WOW man!

Wanted to add, that Richard III Penny is incredible. I always liked the way the busts look on that hammered British Silver.

You forgot we are a team, so like finding an average of 300 Wheat pennies a year.:thumbsup: Although my XP does find 70% of them, so maybe adjust to 420.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Am I reading right that youve never found a roman gold coin? I think Ive seen your celtic and medieval gold so Im assuming Roman gold coins are tough to find. Congrats on the milestone

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have your own TV show. I'd watch it.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cru,

Congratulations to you and Cru'dad on your latest milestone of which you both should be very proud.

That hammered silver is a real beauty.

Regards + HH

Bill

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Once again, I am left speechless! :notworthy: Congratualtions on the 10K coin milestone.

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro, Teknetics G2+, Garret AT pinpointer, deteknix xpointer, gray ghost originals
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a incredible feat and a beautiful hammered. You've been doing spectacular and I enjoy seeing all your finds and posts. Keep up the great work and best of luck and happy hunting!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 15 years. Been detecting twice as long but in the early years I was young & clueless, so never homed the skills to find sites etc...

Well I'd say you certainly have the skills to find the sites and the good finds. An average of 666.6 Roman bronzes/year is amazing to me. After 10,000 of them, a Roman gold must be in the near future.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I reading right that youve never found a roman gold coin? I think Ive seen your celtic and medieval gold so Im assuming Roman gold coins are tough to find. Congrats on the milestone
Yes Roman & Saxon Gold are on my top 5 wish list. Both are near impossible to target, its random luck or on sites that are protected by Law (ie. Roman Forts).

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SS
Response from editor:icon_scratch:;
''Thankyou for your email, not a bad find.
I don't think there is too much difference between the coins overall. Yours is a fuller coin but has a lot of weaknesses. On an image shown at actual size in the book it would be very marginal.
Thanks for sending it all the same. ''

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Response from editor:icon_scratch:;
''Thankyou for your email, not a bad find.
I don't think there is too much difference between the coins overall. Yours is a fuller coin but has a lot of weaknesses. On an image shown at actual size in the book it would be very marginal.
Thanks for sending it all the same. ''
There loss, your dads is clearly a better example.

SS

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an incredible milestone! It will be quite a day when that Roman gold is peeking up out of the hole

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearly with you anything is possible ! The sites you have developed access to - I just love seeing the Roman Silvers , and the Hammered Silvers !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread