10,000 wheat pennies

Gretchen

Aug 2, 2004
Several years ago when I was banking for the library at the merchant window at the local bank I noticed my favorite teller counting lots of pennies that looked like wheats. She said that someone had turned in two large bank bags full. I said I was interesting in buying them. When counted a couple of days later I paid $100.00 face value and had 10,000 pennies dated mostly in the 1940's and 1950's, but quite a bit in the teens, twenties and thirties. Have made money selling them at the swap meet. The oldest penny I have found was 1909 S found on the top of a bottle dump. Have found many wheat cents with my metal detector.

Upvote 0

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Man, that'd be a dream. I get excited to find a roll of wheats, which has happened once or twice, but to find two bank bags full...... Nice find!

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, two bags of wheats. Searching thru those would be a great way to spend a month.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even without the vdb, the 09-s is a good date.

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
They are nice...I saw one in an antique store the other day for $28...I turned it over to check for the VDB...no such luck...Would have been an amazing price! Oh well....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions