10 full rolls of bicentenial halves???

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the bank today and asked for halves. The teller said that she had $100 worth so I picked them all up. When I got home I found out that they were 10 solid rolls of bicentenial halves. It left me scratching my head. They have different levels of circulation so it's not like someone bought them all back in 1976. I guess someone was collecting them and finally realized that they weren't really worth anything. I just can't figure out if it was a coin roll hunter or someone else.

Either way, big skunkaroo...

Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone was probably saving them as "they're so rare". Then learned otherwise. :laughing9:

But......you have the dubious honor of receiving the very first ever......"I Been Skunked" award.

Congrats, its A Major Award. :D

Attachments

• I Been Skunked.JPG
    I Been Skunked.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 702
OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
Someone was probably saving them as "they're so rare". Then learned otherwise. :laughing9:

But......you have the dubious honor of receiving the very first ever......"I Been Skunked" award.

Thanks! It truly is an honor to win this award. I'd like to thank my wife, kids, tellers, and all the little people I've stepped on along the way... ;D

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1971 half on the skunk looks silver like to me. Did you take a pic of an error, or is it the lighting on that coin?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sagittarius98 said:
The 1971 half on the skunk looks silver like to me. Did you take a pic of an error, or is it the lighting on that coin?

I don't know. The little bugger ran off with it. :dontknow:

:laughing7:

No, I think its just the compression, the larger original looks CNC.

Xiao en said:
can i have one of those awards too?

Keep at CRH, you'll have plenty of skunks and you'll get one. :laughing9:

Dok Holliday said:
Simply because you went through the photoshop effort with that skunk, you win at CRH jokes for today.

:thumbsup: :D

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was good we all get one time to time!! :tard: :'( :o :icon_thumleft:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
DigginThePast said:

Had that award many times.. pretty much every time I pick up, I'll get one of those.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I go through a box of halves every week. This week was 49 rolls of 1996-P halves :( They rest were mixed clads ranging from 1971 to 1998. I did find my first silver dime though. Two actually. 1946 and 1947. I pulled those from CWRs.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Ewwww that stinks. Yeah someone who had not done research saved them thinking they were worth something. I think they have the highest mintage of any half dollar don't they?

Golden Silver

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
If you were in my area, I'd say that you bought someone's collection.

I met a guy last year that likes to buy 2 or 3 rolls of Bicentennials from me every time we meet up, which happens to be about 6 times a year.

"They might be worth something, ya know...someday" he always says.

I got a little worried when I read your post. I was afraid that the guy found out that 817 billion were minted, and will never be worth a thing over face.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
clovis97 said:
. . . 817 billion were minted, and will never be worth a thing over face.

All Ni-Cladded Cu coins will be worth well over face value someday. Someday, CRH'ers will say: "What's funny is that hunters use to dump the clad coins by the thousands."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread