Gas Station Silver! -- Plus an odd find...

Kamyu

Oct 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all,

So today I went to the gas station to fill up as I was getting pretty low. Paid as normal and asked for a receipt just so I could see the drawer contents. ^_^ Spied a couple halves in the drawer so asked the teller if she had any halves. She looked at me a bit funny and reopened her drawer. Asked her what she had and she spouted off the dates without my asking. :p I actually meant how many did she have but she told me dates instead of numbers of coins. First was a 1969 so I was like, nice! Rest of the dates were normal dates I'd hear but when looking at what she was holding, one of them looked very odd to me. It wasn't a kennedy half she was holding. Anyways, I asked if I could buy the 1969 and she was hesitant. She knew what she had. After heming and hawing a little, she said, oh alright and sold me it for face value. :P After I got that one, I asked if she would sell the odd one. She relented and sold me that one as well for face. So I got the two I wanted, and she said if I wanted the others, she'd sell those. So I took them as well even if they weren't anything special. Doesn't seem to be silver as far as I can tell. Copper edge and doesn't have that ting sound.

So in the end I got:
1 - 1969D Kennedy
1 - 1986S Something Half

If anyone has any info on the 1986S, let me know. I've no clue if it's something the mint put out or some oddball non currency commemorative thing. Any idea of value is also appreciated.

Attachments

• half.jpeg
    half.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 528
  • halfcomF.jpeg
    halfcomF.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 587
  • halfcomB.jpeg
    halfcomB.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 588
Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
It is an Ellis Island commemorative half. They made them in clad and 40% silver. I have both types several times over. A neat find.

Golden Silver

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just bought one of those ellis island halfs last week. mine is clad but it is the first comm. for me.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
golden silver said:
It is an Ellis Island commemorative half. They made them in clad and 40% silver. I have both types several times over. A neat find.

Golden Silver
Actually I think they were only clad. But a uncirculated and proof version were made.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds. That's a Statue of Liberty commem half and they are all clad. Only the '82 GW commem halves are 90% silver.

I had a nice cwr score on Mon from a bank and the teller told me she got them from gas stations around town that brought them in. As soon as she told me that I just had a feeling that I found something good. :)

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
nice finds :) I got the ellis island half last year from a bank stop, nice find but doesn't seem to be worth much unfortunately. Hadn't heard of any of them in 40%

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure of the half

As it is said it is an Ellis Island commerative, I don't know if they had silver for them but I did get the dollar version last year in a bag of Ikes I purchased. It was a silver proof at one point. Now it is just a 90% dollar that used to be proof.
Nice find either way, commeratives are fun to find.
Mike

Attachments

• 86statue.jpg
    86statue.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 327
  • 86statue.jpg
    86statue.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 327

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread