10 minutes at grandmas house

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
10 minutes at grandma's house

I was upstate N.Y. for the past couple of days with my father. he is not getting around as well as he used to. so i was the wheel man. as usual we had to check in with the relatives who have passed away and a few of the living. we stopped the house he grew up in. it was built around 1810 and has been in the family since the 1860's. The house is falling down now as noone has lived in it for 20 years.my aunt lives next door but was not home. i said i wanted to detect a bit. i was told i have about 10 minutes as he had some place to be. i reminded him who had the keys and started to detect by an old tree in the yard. 1st coin was a 62 penny the 2nd was a 1930 wheatie. you done yet? i'll be in a moment dad. i got a signal like a bottle cap cut my plug and out poped a 1897 indian head. what do you got there? an indian head. that got him out of the car as he did not believe me. we drove 250 miles for 10 minutes of detecting in the rain. my father is recovering from a triple bypass, so i would drive alot farther for less detecting time with him. and the fact that all 3 pennies 65 years apart and at one point most likely were in the pocket of a relative was worth it as well. I will be going back and he will be going with me. To all the dads out there HAPPY FATHERS DAY dylan

Upvote 0

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: 10 minutes at grandma's house

What a wonderful find and that you found them with your Dad!! My Blessings to your Dad and a quick recovery to him!! Happy Father's Day to him!!!!!!!

Also great that you have a place that has been in your family for so long!!! Too bad the old homestead is unlivable. Anyway to fix it up? Would be nice, huh?

OP
OP
dgaughan

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used

i wish there was a way to fix it up but it is definately lost.

thanks

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

I would truly take lots of pics of it and the surrounding area. From a genealogist's point of view....that is family history there and 100 yrs from now...a future grandchild would be tickled to see that and know it was there. Would be nice if you have photos of when you're Dad was living there...to add to your history album :)

Sad those old places crumble away....:(

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool

Great finds & Id be going back soon! Hoping your father has a full, speedy recovery............swingin a machine might be great physical therapy/exercise for him, eh? :)

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 520
  • A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 526

icegator

Apr 22, 2006
Maurice Louisiana
Detector(s) used
fisher 1212x

nice that you got to spend time out with your dad. cherish the time you have with him because it doesn't last forever. trust me i know.

ice

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Dylan stopped by my place this morning, the Indian head is in great shape and well worthy of a picture. buy a camera cheapo!!!, just kiddin Dyl. Good luck with pop on the return visit, later.

kenb

OP
OP
dgaughan

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used

buying the camera is the easy part being a computer illiterate is what i need to work on.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

The best place my son and I ever detected was the house my Dad grew up in. Not only for the sentimental reasons but because we found lots of good old coins. 250 miles is not too bad. Go back when you can take your time and savor the hunt. Good luck.

Mirage

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions