10 Years Ago Found My First Barber. Today I found its Match!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks!

10 years ago last month I found my first Barber coin while detecting (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/134435-went-dentist-found-barber.html). Funny enough, it took me until last year to find my second (to be fair I had a pretty long lay-off in there).

My brother and I hit some new land today and I was hoping it was old enough to be Barber (and if we had DParsons05’s luck maybe even old enough to be Seated) territory.

On our drive there I told my brother that I hadn’t seen a Barber Quarter un-earthed in a while. That ended up foreshadowing good things to come.

We got rolling and my first good hit was the old Japanese Coin. After Googling around I believe it is a 1938 Emperor Hirohito Japanese One Sen. Maybe a WWII relic? A unique find for me. Shortly after I’m getting a surface high tone. Out pops this very cool 5c trade token to “Pastime” in Bremerton. I don’t find trade tokens often so I was jazzed, my day was already made. Just after finding that my brother got a deep high tone and found another of the tokens. Crazy!

I chatted with a friendly neighbor and got permission to do a little grass in front of his place “as long as I was gone before 1 pm because I’m throwing a party today.” Aye aye sir! Glad I asked. I didn’t find a ton there but I did nab the find of the day, a 1909-D Barber Quarter! It’s a pretty good looker and an exact date match to my first Barber from Summer 2009.

It was made even better by the fact I wasn’t expecting it. It was a solid 12-47 down around 4 inches which is how a silver quarter should sound, but I’ve been fooled by several deep copper pennies with similar readings recently.

I didn’t find much of interest after that but felt good about calling it a day a while later.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566690848.271077.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566690860.752358.jpg

I also found a couple toys that have seen the worse end of a lawnmower. A Tootsie toy car and a big marble.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566690906.624088.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566690915.654971.jpg

All in all, a great day to be out there and even more fun to share it with my brother.

Until next time my friends!
-W

Upvote 34

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking Barber Wash. Those coins are always exciting to see come out of the dirt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions