Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went into a bank one today and the teller said that she had a $1000 bag of halves, and that she turns in a bag to fed each Thursday......they hav a coin counting machine...they let me inspect the sealed bag and did not see any silvers....they said one guy comes in every week and runs buckets of halves through their machine...at his appears to be a dump site, and the $1000 price tag for bag is out of my league.....any thoughts????...$1k to research is pretty steep....

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy. Search if he missed any 40's or if anyone else put some good coins in.

Find out where he picks up.

Dump it there.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they have a full $1000 bag every week, then another CRHer is dumping 2 boxes there weekly. However, that certainly doesn't mean that some silver didn't get dumped in there as well.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't waste my time with it, but I just don't have the patience that most people do.. It sounds obvious that it is a dump bank.. The odds of it being a hunter who doesn't keep 40%s are very slim... On the other hand, you will never know until you try.. May you should give it a shot for a week or two..

mtk76

Jan 9, 2013
3rd District
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you got the visual inspection and didn't get excited plus it fills so quick Id avoid.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most counter in my area reject silver halfs.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you kinda answered your own question, it's a dump bank allready for someone, you don't have the 1000 to buy the bag and you didn't see any Silver in the bag, that is 3 strikes against you there. I personally would not bother with it. Good luck what ever you decided though, Maverick.

Sonny01

Sep 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most coin machines reject silver? So if the bag came from a machine there would be 0 chance of finding anything...right?

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most coin machines reject silver? So if the bag came from a machine there would be 0 chance of finding anything...right?

If it is calibrated correctly some do. However this is rarely the case. If you find rolls with bent or damaged coins you instantly know the machine that counted them probably is not calibrated correctly. I have found brinks boxes of dimes with all perfect coins and no silver but if I find a damaged coin I almost always find silver.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I went into a bank one today and the teller said that she had a $1000 bag of halves, and that she turns in a bag to fed each Thursday......they hav a coin counting machine...they let me inspect the sealed bag and did not see any silvers....they said one guy comes in every week and runs buckets of halves through their machine...at his appears to be a dump site, and the $1000 price tag for bag is out of my league.....any thoughts????...$1k to research is pretty steep....

I'd ask for clarification. If the guy is running buckets of halves through their machine each week, then I wouldn't buy any half bags. If he's not running dimes, I'd definitely see if I could buy the dime bags. They're more affordable as well...

OP
OP
J

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent advice from all....I have several local banks that are looking out for me as we'll.....I sometimes will buy a sealed $500 box, and then reallyngetbticked when I find mr that have been reused.....I most always put mark on my wrappers to save others time......Maverick, thanks for to the point advice....John

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Jyorsky said:
Excellent advice from all....I have several local banks that are looking out for me as we'll.....I sometimes will buy a sealed $500 box, and then reallyngetbticked when I find mr that have been reused.....I most always put mark on my wrappers to save others time......Maverick, thanks for to the point advice....John

Hey John, no problem, I wasn't trying to sound abrasive, though now that I look at it, I might have come off that way. I would keep trying the boxes, I, as well as everyone else, hate getting those too, it's the crappy part of the game no one likes, just get rid of them and try again, it will increase your odds of funding something. Good luck, Maverick.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm facing a similar dilemma. A bank near me said that $200 in rolled halves were deposited this afternoon. The teller was nice and went to the vault to grab one for me to look at. Sure enough, it was a re-rolled NF String yellow and white roll - crimped on one end and folded over on the other. I assume these are dumped rolls, and that someone who knew enough to get his/her hands on $200 or more of MWRs probably knows what to keep and what to throw back (so I'm not expecting to finds and 40% halves).

This branch is not a pick up branch for me, other than loose halves here and there (which have produced before). I don't search a lot of coins that aren't halves, but I when I get CWRs of quarters/dimes/nickels/pennies I sometimes dump them at this branch because they have a coin machine (which doesn't take halves).

Do I bother searching the $200, maybe only to "purify" the branch of dumped halves?

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm facing a similar dilemma. A bank near me said that $200 in rolled halves were deposited this afternoon. The teller was nice and went to the vault to grab one for me to look at. Sure enough, it was a re-rolled NF String yellow and white roll - crimped on one end and folded over on the other. I assume these are dumped rolls, and that someone who knew enough to get his/her hands on $200 or more of MWRs probably knows what to keep and what to throw back (so I'm not expecting to finds and 40% halves).

This branch is not a pick up branch for me, other than loose halves here and there (which have produced before). I don't search a lot of coins that aren't halves, but I when I get CWRs of quarters/dimes/nickels/pennies I sometimes dump them at this branch because they have a coin machine (which doesn't take halves).

Do I bother searching the $200, maybe only to "purify" the branch of dumped halves?

Well if you "purify" the branch of dumped halves you are just going to have to dump them somewhere else. I guess it's alright if you are dumping in bags or going out of town for some reason (and can dump them out of town).

If I order from Loomis, there is about a 75% chance they will be the yellow wrappers folded over on one end. I don't know who these people are who waste their time doing that...

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would probably just dump them at a dump bank which has a coin machine (and would be dumping into a courier I don't get boxes from).

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Always buy them all. You just never know.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

Buy them, the tellers will be so happy, as $200 is too little to send out. Check them before you dump, just in case someone was tired or drunk when CRHing.

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you "purify" the branch of dumped halves you are just going to have to dump them somewhere else. I guess it's alright if you are dumping in bags or going out of town for some reason (and can dump them out of town).

If I order from Loomis, there is about a 75% chance they will be the yellow wrappers folded over on one end. I don't know who these people are who waste their time doing that...

I re-wrap my halves in the machine rolls. 1). The banks in my area don't have half dollar wrappers for some reason, there are no free coin counters, and it's not that hard to do or time consuming on the scale of $1000 a week. I am new to this hobby, so why is that bad anyway? I know it's no fun to get a dump but what's the difference if they are rerolled or coin locked or sent through a counting machine?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I re-wrap my halves in the machine rolls. 1). The banks in my area don't have half dollar wrappers for some reason, there are no free coin counters, and it's not that hard to do or time consuming on the scale of $1000 a week. I am new to this hobby, so why is that bad anyway? I know it's no fun to get a dump but what's the difference if they are rerolled or coin locked or sent through a counting machine?
The big difference is that the bank can turn right around and sell your re-rolled dumps to another hunter, as opposed to sending them out with a courier to be re-rolled (normally) and the chance that silver will be placed into the mix and then be redistributed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread