100th Coin Found Today + My First Post

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Brian and I went on my first detecting trip a little less than a month ago. I went out yesterday for a bit and found 13 coins bringing my total to 99. So of course today after class I had to go out and find that 100th coin. I went to a local park and after about 2min I pulled out a quarter for my 100th coin since purchasing my detector. Then 2min later it started raining, but I was happy to find the big 1-0-0. 60 of the coins had come on my last 2 trips out, so I'm finally starting to understand how to best use my detector. It is a Garret Ace 250.

Welp, just thought I'd get my first post underway.

Brian

Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello Brian, & Welcome to the forum!
Congrats on your 100th coin, WTG!!!
I have heard nothing but good things about the ace 250, so I'm sure you'll have no problems finding the next 100.
Good luck & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I've actually just ordered a Minelab Sovereign because I've become addicted to the hobby and I wanted a detector that would go deep for the old farm sites that I hunt so that I can find more silver and less clad like all of my other buds.

I get jealous watching them pull out IH pennies left and right while I'm pulling out trash and clad coins. But, clad is better than nothing.

Brian

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
COngratulations on that 100th! It doesn't take long to rack up the numbers. Keep a log of your finds. My son and I have only been at it a couple years and we are coming up on the 3000 mark. Of coarse we are not finding as much since we are concentrating more on the old stuff. But our silver finds are going up.

Your friends are pulling IH's right and left? Yeah, better get that minelab before they find it all! ;) Sounds like you will have a MDing partner or two.

Bob

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your 100th coin!!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?;)

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage said:
COngratulations on that 100th! It doesn't take long to rack up the numbers. Keep a log of your finds. My son and I have only been at it a couple years and we are coming up on the 3000 mark. Of coarse we are not finding as much since we are concentrating more on the old stuff. But our silver finds are going up.

Your friends are pulling IH's right and left? Yeah, better get that minelab before they find it all! ;) Sounds like you will have a MDing partner or two.

Bob

I've got a nice spreadsheet already created to keep track of all of my finds by date, location, types of coins, total coins, and total $ amount found.

Yeah, my friends are finding some nice old coins that just leave me awestruck. They only hunt for the old stuff and pull up some nice coins that make you jealous but are the perfect advertisements for buying a Minelab detector.

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
Congrats on your 100th coin -- I am sure the minelab will yeild much better results for you -- I know mine has

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Brian on that 100th coin ! Looks like you're off to a good start with that Ace-250. Keep up the good work !

Huntin' 59er

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Congrats on the 100th coin Brian!

But let me tell you a little secret... you WILL find Indians with that Ace 250. Trust me on this one. I was in a friendly competition hunt from another forum. Everyone else was swinging Whites and Minelabs and more expensive Garretts. To make a long story short, I took second place with the second oldest coin dug... an 1882 Indian! BUT... KEEP READING!

See, ANY detector can find good coins. Yes, some will go deeper than others. But... and here's the key... it's all about KNOWING your particular machine AND being in the right spot!!! You can have a $1200 Minelab or the $200 Ace 250, and if you aren't swinging over top of that 5 inch deep Indian Head Penny, well, YOU AIN'T GONNA FIND IT!!! And you might even be swinging tright over top of it, but if you don't know your detector, you're going to walk right over top of it and miss it!

Don't get discouraged with the Ace 250!

Best of luck with Sovereign! Keep us posted on your finds and progress! Looking forward to it!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey brian was curious if youd like to share your spread sheet with us im sure theres more then a few on here that would like to use it as a tool to keep track of our finds for the hot spots slow spots etc .way to go on the 100th it sucks being a clad flunky but look at it this way with more detector time you learn what to really listen for and "cherry pick" those deep faint signals but the clad adds up since january this year(yes i detect in the winter at sled hills what not..)ive gotten a ton of keys and "can slaw"and 3500 pennies a handfull of weats some silver "rosies" 12 silver rings a lot of junk ones and 4 gold rings 2 are 14kt 1 is 18 plated the last one is crushed from a run in with a car so the goodies add up ,oh and the clad total was $260 and most of this was from parks and schools and soccer fields one complex alone coughed up 6 siler rings all with in 2-3 feet of the foil line one was just inside the feild line so keep at it...... EDD

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Welcome.....Welcome!! Congrats on the 100th and thanks for sharing with us! Beetle gave you some great advice too.

Happy Hunting!

Moon

P.S. You're a pretty cute hunter too! ;)

Z

ZumbroKid

Welcome to the forum, the coin totals will add up fast. Once in a while you will get a nice older one too.

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I echo Beetle's comments. As a 250 user myself, I wondered initially why I wasn't finding the silvers, IH, etc. while others were posting almost daily totals including the said coins. I figured it had to be the 250, it was only 200 bucks and to really get those good coins you needed something more expensive, etc. People said the key is research, with a little luck, to find these coins. You had to think like someone say a hundred years ago did, where would people gather.

After a couple months of digging clad in local parks and schools that Im sure were hammered over the years, I started to research old maps in the library, did some google searches, hell I even looked up property listings that are public records to find out when they were built. All of this has not been in vain, with a little effort researching, me and the 250 started finding silver, a quarter here, merc dime there, buffalo here and indeed i started finding some IH pennies.

They are out there.

Happy Hunting

-Hunter

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal!

Welcome aboard, and keep us posted with your finds from both machines!

HH

Lonewolfe

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a bigger more expensive detector than my ACE 250, but the Little Yeller Feller has been with me on several of my best finds!? The only thing it lacks is depth!? It will reach down to about 8" max on a day when the conditions are perfect. But for some reason my pinpointing sucks below six inches!? But I think it's me more than the detector.? I coin shoot a lot.? Not because I am satisfied with finding just clad, but it offers a perfect opportunity to really learn how to communicate with my detectors.? It is also convenient to my home and having parks and sports fields close by saves me a lot of $$$ in that new gold,? gasoline!? Hang on to that ACE and good luck with your Minelab.? I'll bet you wind up using that ACE a lot more than you would imagine.? Oh, and welcome to the forum! Monty

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck to you.

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
Way to go on #100. And thanks to all of you for the great comments on the Ace 250.

Da Kajun
and I AM gonna get my Ace 250 out today and break it in, I will, I will, I will!

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moonshadow said:
Welcome.....Welcome!! Congrats on the 100th and thanks for sharing with us! Beetle gave you some great advice too.

Happy Hunting!

Moon

P.S. You're a pretty cute hunter too! ;)

Haha, thanks for the cute comment.

I have done lots of research and used the help of other more experienced hunters for help in finding good places to hunt. We have been out hunting to old fairgrounds, horse racing tracks, etc. that date back to the 1870s, etc. The Garrett doesn't go as deep as I would like, but it does a good job at fairly shallow targets, especially since I learned how to read it properly. But, it also gives me a spare detector for friends to use while they are out with me (if I can talk my college friends into going out at all haha).

Anymore tips for the ace250 that I could use?

thanks,
brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions