100yr old violin šŸŽ»

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were out estate sale shopping and I came across this old violin for $50. Itā€™s a Czechoslovakian strad remake from early 1900s. The bridge is marked Dresden if that means anything besides maybe the German city or maker? It was the original owners grandmotherā€™s who played it as a child and she was born in 1910, so I figure 1920 or so. It seems solid enough, itā€™s just missing two of the original tuning pegs and strings. I have some new pegs ordered and I have some extra strings and bow here so Iā€™m going to try to get it playable. I donā€™t think itā€™s rare or anything, I just think itā€™s a neat find. I just need to keep practicing on my other violin and maybe eventually I can play on this one.
66B81F38-E686-466E-A1BF-74615D4FB556.jpeg
4E5025FC-29F6-48F4-A15D-DD0E044003AD.jpeg

Upvote 16

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find !

Looks exactly like the copy of a Strad Violin I got from my Father years ago - from the same era.
I took it to a Music Store and they told me countless copies like mine were made.
He told me it was only worth $50.00 to $100.00.

OP
OP
LandSeig

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find !

Looks exactly like the copy of a Strad Violin I got from my Father years ago - from the same era.
I took it to a Music Store and they told me countless copies like mine were made.
He told me it was only worth $50.00 to $100.00.
Yes I read where they sold them in sears and roebuck catalogs, I figured that it would still be better than the cheap ones you can buy today. If it doesnā€™t work out, Iā€™ll hang it on the wall as a display piece. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
LandSeig

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've worked on several old violins similar to this one. Most have sounded pretty good and occasionally one will be outstanding. I hope yours is one of those!
Is there anything that I need to especially look out for or certain precautions I need to take while working on it?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i was a child in Kalamazoo. We had a neighbor that worked on them . I think he had an original

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were out estate sale shopping and I came across this old violin for $50. Itā€™s a Czechoslovakian strad remake from early 1900s. The bridge is marked Dresden if that means anything besides maybe the German city or maker? It was the original owners grandmotherā€™s who played it as a child and she was born in 1910, so I figure 1920 or so. It seems solid enough, itā€™s just missing two of the original tuning pegs and strings. I have some new pegs ordered and I have some extra strings and bow here so Iā€™m going to try to get it playable. I donā€™t think itā€™s rare or anything, I just think itā€™s a neat find. I just need to keep practicing on my other violin and maybe eventually I can play on this one. View attachment 2125781 View attachment 2125782
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!!

OP
OP
LandSeig

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to shape the pegs that I bought, so I have to get something for that and I have to restring it. So it should be a learning experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread