102 year old silver plus automotive history

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Charlottesville, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Hey gang,

Drove four hours one way on Sunday for my last chance to detect my uncle's house before he sold it. The house is a log cabin built in the 1840s. They tore down an original smoke house about ten years ago and found a roll of about fifty confederate bills in the rafters. Sounded like a treasure hunter's dream, right? Wrong. It was freaking POURING down rain. It was like someone was pouring buckets of water on my head as I swept the yard. There was tall grass and literally millions of trash metal pieces from all the renters over the years. I was there for six hours and found exactly nothing. Well, nothing except for this...

elcofront.jpg

elcoreverse.jpg

Now the Barber dime (my second, and oldest) and the cool old marble came from a site hear in Birmingham, but the Elco Plate was the only find from the 1840s house. It is a plate off the engine of a 1915-1917 Elco 30 automobile. The Elco 30 was a 4 cylinder 30 hp Hot Rod machine ha ha made by the Bimel Buggy Company. The BBC made horse buggies in the 1840s-1890s in Sydney Ohio until they went defunct. Some guys bought the name in 1915 and used it to market their car. Ultimately it was doomed to fail against the competition in 1917, but apparently one of them made it to my uncle's place. The makers mark on the back of the tag says the Whitehead and Hoag Co. Newark NJ. They made lots of promotional stuff like car tags before they also went belly up.

You can still see some of the blue enamel around the edge. I kind of like it.
That's the best I have for now.
V

Upvote 0

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Hey V

Too bad it was raining cats and dogs. A place like that needs going over carefully and all targets dug... that is really hard to do in a down pour.

Anyway, the emblem from the Elco is neat as is the Barber Dime.

If the place is just being put up for sale then until the title transfer occurs perhaps you can have another "go" at it in better weather.

anyplace built in 1840 has a lot of history buried in its yards.

thanks for sharing your experience with us

HH

Sanat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread