Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

widgee

Greenie
Apr 10, 2007
Very up state New York
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes
A while back I found a 1963 High School ring in about 6' of water.
It was in great shape. I could read the initials. I figure it would be easy to find the owner and return it.
First I sent emails to the school. The reply said, " we did not have any students with those initials."
I researched for a school with a similar name, and found none. Again I wrote to the school, again I got
the same answer. We did not have a student with those initials. Again I wrote and asked, could it be someone that did not graduate with the 1963 class ? Again I got the same answer.
I decided not to give up. I looked around and decided to write to a couple of the small local papers.
I explained what I found and that I just wanted to return it.
By now about 6 months have passed, with no results.
Then I got an email from one of the papers. The reporter really dig into it and found the name of the girl.
It turns out that the girl attended school under a different name, explaining why the initials did not match.
Now I had the name, which was a rather unique spelling. After sending out a couple emails I located her.
Finally I called and told her what I found, she told me where and approximately when she lost it.
I mailed it to her delivery confirmation, I know it was delivered.
Over 40 years at the bottom of Lake CHamplain it has been returned.
Never heard from her ??
Oh well.... I did enjoy the hunt when I found it and the hunt trying to locate the owner.

Attachments

• orchard1.jpg
    orchard1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 771
  • orchard1.jpg
    orchard1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 752
  • orchard1.jpg
    orchard1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 760
  • orchard1.jpg
    orchard1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 787
  • orchard1.jpg
    orchard1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 769
  • orchard1.jpg
    orchard1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 779
  • orchard1.jpg
    orchard1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 765

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Nice job! It would be nice to at least get a " thanks I received it" note wouldn't it! Keep up the good work!

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job returning the ring. I have returned quite a few rings and a couple of bracelets. The reward of a smile or hug makes it worth it all. Twice I didn't even get a thank you. That does happen even though it just doesn't seem possible that someone could not care less about getting something valuable returned to them. Go figure ???

DANGLANGLEY

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Widgee,
What a beautiful class ring. Very nice discovery and sluething.
I'm sorry to hear she didn't have the courtesy to thank for for doing such a good deed.
Great job.
-MM-

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
It amazes me that two simple words like "Thank You" have fallen out of so many Peoples vocabulary. Even though you received confirmation that she got the ring back it would of been nice to have received a written thank you. You don't mention it in the post that when you were talking on the telephone and she described the location and area of the loss that she did-didn't say thank you before hanging up. Either way a written note would have been justified.

Who says and where is it written that we have to give back what is found? We have a code of ethics and in 99% of the cases do the right thing by returning lost items. Some people just take things for granted. You did the right thing and I wouldn't worry about the lack of appreciation. You can sleep easier each evening.
Good Job staying with the challenge.
HH Roy

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
oddly the same thing happened on a recent class ring I helped "return" -- I called trying to set up a meeting with her she never got back in touch -- the gal never tried to get with me finally had to give it to her nana -- nana thanked and even offered me $20 as a reward -- I turned down the cash -- the nana was quite nice but the gal seemed kind "blah" about it actually---

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
oddly the same thing happened on a recent class ring I helped "return" -- I called trying to set up a meeting with her she never got back in touch -- the gal never tried to get with me finally had to give it to her nana -- nana thanked and even offered me $20 as a reward -- I turned down the cash -- the nana was quite nice but the gal seemed kind "blah" about it actually---

Ivan,
Maybe it was a NO-CLASS ring she had? :o ;D
-MM-

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the find, the research and the return, unfortunately there are alot of ungrateful people out there and a simple thank you should have been eaisly given. Most returns are to extremely grateful people who are not only thrilled to have gotten their ring back, but want to compensate you and are very happy to says thanks both spoken and in writing. Just remember...it takes all kinds and unfortunately we run across some of the less disireable types who have no class or manners. but to offset those idiots, thankfully there are many wonderful respecting and gracious people who are absolutely overjoyed at getting a lost item back and are not bashful about letting you know how happy they are about it...Those types are what makes it all worthwhile.

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
its a good feeling to give back a class ring,i did the same not to long ago.

Attachments

• MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 713
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 743
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 728
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 724

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Someone I work with found a HS class ring and brought it to work and threw it in a drawer. I told her that wasn't the right thing to do, and she gave it to me....stating nobody ever appreciates anything.

It took me a few weeks, but I finally tracked down the owner and she was very happy I found it. I shipped it off with a letter and return address the next day. I NEVER heard from her again.

By the way, I took note of the fact that she never said "Thanks" during our phone conversation. If I had it to do all over again, I would still return the ring. I will admit though, some people think everyone owes them something and they don't even need to be gracious.

Baldingboy

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
One of the old gold school rings from 1993 I found last year I tried very hard to return. Did a local search tried 30 people with same last name. Even tried the web sites for lost rings...no luck when i contacted the school....I ended up dealing with 2 people one was nice, one was a goof.... In the end they ticked me off so much I gave up and sold it for scrap...I now wish I had held it a little longer and somehow found the owner...but I will try and if it seems impossible I will scrap or give away... If i return something I at least expect a thank you.. Sorry you had someone not realize it was a kind act on your part...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
some folks today have no style or class -- manners we used to call it -- Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread